ADVERTISEMENT

Jay'Onn Myles now deciding on signing day?

unlv7163

UNLV Hall of Fame
Feb 26, 2004
Juco Football Frenzy tweeted a little while ago that Myles was going to decide between UNLV and Baylor on signing day. Not sure if they just have wrong or old information, or if Myles has backed off of his initial pledge. Could be he had an in home visit with Baylor coaches following his UNLV commitment to cause him to think twice. Wonder if Philyaw is still a plan B option here.

Mark Anderson thinks Baylor will come back at Myles with a hard sell. The good news is, he really seemed to like the new staffs energy and vision. Things that help our cause..He said he is a city kid and that was important to him. Because of graduation and lack of depth he has a much better shot at playing right away with us than with Baylor.

Things that hurt our cause..
Its Baylor. A team that has been on the rise for a few years now and will again be making a real run for a Big 12 title if not a birth into the college football playoffs.

Would really like to see this staff nail this one down. I don't blame the kid for waiting till the last second. You never know who might come in late and possibly be a better fit.

I wouldn't put to much into Philyaw being on the radar anymore. Possible but I doubt it. According to Mark Anderson the staff really never saw him as a commit. Add to that his stats at his juco were really really underwhelming. 34 tackles 1 interception and like 3 pass break ups the entire year. This isn't to say he isn't a solid player just that his grade may have been puffed up by the fact he really looks the part at 6'0 200lbs and runs a 4.5 in the 40.

Ya, not huge fan myself of Philyaw, though I will say that defensive player stats can be misleading. Richard Sherman, for example only had 8 pass breakups all year (he did have 4 ints though) because nobody threw at him. Obviously not comparing Philyaw to arguably the best CB in the NFL, but IF Philyaw was hands down the best corner on his team, opposing teams may have thrown away from him. A better indicator (which we really aren't afforded the opportunity to see ourselves) would be to look at game tape and see how many times he's beaten by the receiver he's covering regardless of whether the ball is thrown at him or not. Another thing to consider is what type of scheme fit the staff believe he is. If, for example, he played in a press man scheme (ala the Seahawks) and played poorly, it may not matter if the staff were to plan on using a "Tampa 2" zone scheme where he may be seen as an ideal fit where CBs can be a little less athletic but are needed for some run support.

That being said, if Philyaw was talent/scheme fit, I believe the staff would have found room for him. It appears as though the staff wants one JC DB and really prefers to see what Myles does first. I was just wondering if Myles chooses Baylor, does that mean the staff takes what they feel is a "need" in Philyaw (JC DB) or do they invest that scholarship in High school player? Really depends on how much they feel Philyaw could contribute the next 2 years.

If not a JC CB this year I wouldn't have a problem with the staff taking a high school kid who they can develop. There are little to no expectations for next season so, besides the coaches' inner drives to win, nobody will be overly disappointed if we don't go the college football playoffs next season.

I could be wrong on this but Philyaw's team was pretty bad defensively. I agree defensive stats are hard to go by. Ideally I think this season they would like a JUCO kid for experience and probably more ready to play now. We are pretty thin at corner right now. We did red shirt a three star corner from Arizona last year.

There some good JC guys still out there, Santa Rosa's Quinton McCoy and Pasadena City's Robert Morgan are still listed uncommitted among others.
Developing a run defense is a major priority but the corner back position needs some quality bodies. The three primary returning guys have seen a lot of time on the field.
Hopefully there will be more plays made behind the line of scrimmage to take the pressure off the DBs.

Publicity of kid picking UNLV over Baylor on signing day would mean way more to us than it would to Baylor if he opted for the Bears

His final decision will be made on signing day between Baylor and UNLV. Currently appears going with UNLV, but the more support showing by following and RT out for others to follow the more he will know we want him in the Rebel family.

Jay'Onn Myles @NinosAmbition

He has a picture of the Excalibur on his twitter account too. lol Hopefully he's growing fond of Vegas. Rebels on the Rise!

Lets hope. He would be a really strong grab for this staff. That would mean UNLV beat out not only Baylor but also Arizona who also offered.

Hmmm... interesting speculation. But why would he pretend to be signing a LOI before signing day? That doesn't make sense. He was probably working on crossword puzzles when that photo was taken.

That thread on the Baylor site is from December. Looks like they were hoping he was signing early. Hope he chooses us, he has a chance to be a major contributor next year.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT