ADVERTISEMENT

Isaiah Cottrell staying put??????????????????

I will give Cotrell a pass. First it was his Achilles. Next, a broken foot. Even if he never lives up to his expectations as a 4 star top 100 he is very supportive of the program. Also, didn’t he play a role in convincing DJ to stay home? That’s my recollection….

Last edited:
I will Cotrell a pass. First it was his Achilles. Next, a broken foot. Even if he never lives up to his expectations as a 4 star top 100 he is very supportive of the program. Also, didn’t he play a role in convincing DJ to stay home? That’s my recollection….
He was our best recruiter. We have 4 scholarships still to fill, losing Isaiah will not benefit UNLV even a little bit. What wonderful about Cotrell, you cannot teach height...if he decides to play as a true PF next he could. He is smart and he is talented and sound like he is very charismatic.

He was our best recruiter. We have 4 scholarships still to fill, losing Isaiah will not benefit UNLV even a little bit. What wonderful about Cotrell, you cannot teach height...if he decides to play as a true PF next he could. He is smart and he is talented and sound like he is very charismatic.
💯

I agree with everything. He is what u call a closer. Just wished he had more fire on the court. Talent is there.

I just didnt see effort for most of the season. That was my biggest complaint. Hed catch the ball way out of position because he wanted to shoot and couldnt collect any offensive boards becuase he was always shading toward the 3 point line. He didnt have any sort of move that would allow him to take the ball and drive to the hoop and he didnt play inside to post guys up.
So if he doesnt shoot the 3 ball next year and plays down low like a true center or true 4 should then fine, have him close recruits on how great Las Vegas is and UNLV is... and maybe we get lucky and he gets into basketball shape mentally...

Reactions: bcvegaspt
As a 3rd big and situational player he has value. Also seemingly accepting of his role which will likely be limited.
The fact that he can shoot it brings another dimension, granted he didn't shoot it great last season.
We still haven't seen him all that healthy. Ceiling is probably pretty low there, but he did show a tiny bit more bounce at the end of the year which is at least something

I just didnt see effort for most of the season. That was my biggest complaint. Hed catch the ball way out of position because he wanted to shoot and couldnt collect any offensive boards becuase he was always shading toward the 3 point line. He didnt have any sort of move that would allow him to take the ball and drive to the hoop and he didnt play inside to post guys up.
So if he doesnt shoot the 3 ball next year and plays down low like a true center or true 4 should then fine, have him close recruits on how great Las Vegas is and UNLV is... and maybe we get lucky and he gets into basketball shape mentally...
He is not a true 4 or 5 but a hybrid. But if he decides to play a certain position because UNLV need him and he does it. That is valuable. How many 6'11 four stars willing to sit on the bench for a middle MWC team? He is invaluable.

He is not a true 4 or 5 but a hybrid. But if he decides to play a certain position because UNLV need him and he does it. That is valuable. How many 6'11 four stars willing to sit on the bench for a middle MWC team? He is invaluable.
I mean, he'd basically been out of the game of basketball for 2 years because of injury so saying "how many former 4 star would be willing to sit on the bench for a middle MWC team" seems an irrelevant argument for his "value". His first year he coming off his WV injury I could see that argument but he would've been pivotal had he not hurt his foot, but after basically 2 full years out of the game, as @lobbybuu put it, "Where would he have gone"... Hes not invaluable or valuable, he's like a project you hope gets into basketball shape mentally and physically.. and honestly, He wasnt doing what UNLV needed him to do which is why his PT sucked... He'd come in, be out of position on offense and miss the offensive glass at 6'-11, clank some 3s off the rim, and then be out of position defensively... Hes 6'-11 and shoots career 35% FG average... Thats not good for a 6'-11 guy, I dont care if youre a Hybrid..

He got outplayed by Karl Jones at the end of the season. If you are big, you need to rebound. Cottrell doesn’t rebound.

Unlv was #218 or something in rebounding. Feels like we’re just keeping him because he’s local and probably a good locker room guy not because he produces anything tangible on the court.

He got outplayed by Karl Jones at the end of the season. If you are big, you need to rebound. Cottrell doesn’t rebound.

Unlv was #218 or something in rebounding. Feels like we’re just keeping him because he’s local and probably a good locker room guy not because he produces anything tangible on the court.
We were 247th. Unless we get much closer to # 100 in rebounding we won't find National success. You can't spot the other team 10-15 more shots per game and expect to win consistently.

If he's an end of the bench guy I think he's fine and I'm okay with bringing him back. You are probably never running more than 8-9 deep for real minutes, 10-13 need to have a good locker room presence, give us some options to practice against and provide emergency minutes when injury invariably hits. Cottrell is just fine in those roles.

I see people keep calling him a shooter but he's a career 36% FG 31% 3FG and 69% FT% with a TS% of 44% and an eFG% of 41%--those numbers are lower across the board than LuRod (well, Ike shot 1% better from 3) who nobody would call a shooter. If Kruger sees shooters the same way as y'all, it's no wonder we keep bringing in 35/30/70 guys and pretending like they can catch and shoot from the corner.

Reactions: rebel5280
If he's an end of the bench guy I think he's fine and I'm okay with bringing him back. You are probably never running more than 8-9 deep for real minutes, 10-13 need to have a good locker room presence, give us some options to practice against and provide emergency minutes when injury invariably hits. Cottrell is just fine in those roles.

I see people keep calling him a shooter but he's a career 36% FG 31% 3FG and 69% FT% with a TS% of 44% and an eFG% of 41%--those numbers are lower across the board than LuRod (well, Ike shot 1% better from 3) who nobody would call a shooter. If Kruger sees shooters the same way as y'all, it's no wonder we keep bringing in 35/30/70 guys and pretending like they can catch and shoot from the corner.
I have no problem with schollies going to a handful of players that are good teammates, get their grades, have a positive influence on the team and they can push others in practice. Perfect. You need a few of them. Even though Dantley Walker, he who is better than Rashad Vaughan (who were those joker posters), was clearly not a D1 player … but his teammates loved him, he was coachable, likable kid, good teammate - hell yeah give them a schollie and let them come into the game when you are up 15 with 2 minutes to go. Zero problem with that.

It’s when they’re not close to better than those above them but they think they are. And act as if that’s the truth … then it can become an issue.

Reactions: Couev

Yeah, he's not a great shooter from anywhere on the floor. At 6-11, he should be at least at 60% FG with bunnies, layups, and dunks.. what that tells me is he prefers mid range jumpers and 3s, which are not the shots we need in our offense from him.
If he's a good teammate I guess, but every time he is asked to play minutes, our +/- is really bad

Yeah, he's not a great shooter from anywhere on the floor. At 6-11, he should be at least at 60% FG with bunnies, layups, and dunks.. what that tells me is he prefers mid range jumpers and 3s, which are not the shots we need in our offense from him.
If he's a good teammate I guess, but every time he is asked to play minutes, our +/- is really bad
If he’s getting meaningful minutes, that means a miss with recruiting happened.

And this says he’s soft!

And you geniuses are basing this of a guy who been injured for 2 years and have not play competitive basketball. Got it.
What else would you call a guy who can’t play in the paint who hardly rebounds and this year when healthy was a DNP in many games we had Whaley playing center?!

And you geniuses are basing this of a guy who been injured for 2 years and have not play competitive basketball. Got it.
He shot 33% his freshman year and 34% in his Sophomore season From the field... at 6-11... those were his "prime" stats...

He was soft in HS. Soft at WVU.

You can have soft players, there is room for them if they have the skill.

But let’s not paint him out to be something he’s not, like everyone’s “he’s going to go for 12/7” every time we get a big.

He has the size for the front court, but not the game for it.

He was definitely soft the eyeball test said that all day, watching games and loose balls go bouncing right by him and he doesn’t even make a pretend effort to get it. Gets out hustled by guys giving him a half foot on them.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT