ADVERTISEMENT

Is Gary Andersen...

Former Utah State, Wisconsin and Oregon State head coach. He was interested in DC job at SMU until recently.

I would be overwhelmingly surprised if there was any interest on his end. If it was HC, sure... as a DC I'm just not sure UNLV DC spot is appealing in the current situation to a guy in his shoes. Would be happy to have him of course!

Not a possibility. Andersen collected $11M in salary between 2009-2017... he will not be interested in a UNLV staff position for a staff that could be gone after another year or two.

SMU coach Dykes has mentioned pursuing Andersen, but SMU has much deeper pockets and a stronger commitment to being competitive.

No longer a candidate for DC at SMU. If he wants to get back into coaching and money is not an obstacle, this might work.

Who knows what’s really important to Andersen right now but it would seem money isn’t his main priority. OSU owed him a 12 million buyout and he volunteered to leave with nothing. Not many people would leave 12 million dollars on the table. I’m not sure if he’d be interested in the UNLV DC position but I wouldn’t write him off based solely on salary.

This is a very random discussion. As far as I can tell Andersen was not pursuing the SMU job - they were pursuing him.

We've gone from hoping a Florida position coach will be interested in our DC position to thinking that a financially secure former P5 coach is going to rush to become a subordinate to a G5 coach who hasn't had a winning season? Also, his buddy Mike Sanford would probably advise him against coming here.

This is a very random discussion. As far as I can tell Andersen was not pursuing the SMU job - they were pursuing him.

We've gone from hoping a Florida position coach will be interested in our DC position to thinking that a financially secure former P5 coach is going to rush to become a subordinate to a G5 coach who hasn't had a winning season? Also, his buddy Mike Sanford would probably advise him against coming here.

But we're getting new locker rooms.

Andersen accepted a position with Utah.

http://www.sltrib.com/sports/utah-u...utahs-football-staff-as-associate-head-coach/

Andersen, a longtime former Ute assistant who stunned the college football world when he abruptly resigned as Oregon State’s head coach in October, is returning to the Utah staff as an associate head coach and will work with the defense, Utah coach Kyle Whittingham announced Tuesday morning.

The Salt Lake City native will begin his third stint at Utah when the new NCAA rule allowing a 10th assistant coach goes into effect on Jan. 9.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT