ADVERTISEMENT

Important Dates Ahead

LocoRebel

Retired Number
Apr 7, 2011
For the sake of this post, I'm assuming Coach Sanchez is relieved of his duties. No speculation or insight on that here, just some relevant dates.

November 16 - Hawaii at UNLV Hawaii is currently 5-4, but plays 4 more games (vs SJSU, at UNLV, vs SDSU, vs Army). It's fairly likely that they will be bowl eligible, but this is a chance to be a spoiler Hawaii defeats UNLV 21-7. The 'bows are now 7-4 and officially bowl eligible. Still host SDSU and Army ahead. With a win over SDSU, The winner of SDSU vs Hawaii this weekend will win the West division of the Mountain West Conference.

November 23 - SJSU at UNLV
Senior day at 1pm. SJSU is fighting for bowl contention, so this is a chance to play spoiler. Spartans are currently 4-5 and SJSU lost to Hawaii 42-40 and must win at UNLV and at home vs Fresno State to become bowl eligible.also play at Hawaii and host Fresno State. Final UNLV game at the Silver Bowl!

November 30
- UNLV at UNR 2019 UNLV football season finale season. UNR is currently 5-4 and will also play at at SDSU and at Fresno State before hosting UNLV. Somehow, Reno beat SDSU 17-13, so Reno is bowl eligible but must win either at Fresno State or at home vs UNLV to lock in a bowl game. Spoiler opportunity and Cannon Game! This is also the last day of the regular CFB season, meaning that the coaching window opens. I believe after the regular season ends, current CFB coaches can be communicated with by other institutions. It could be that this applies to conference championship week and not the regular season.

November 30 - FCS Playoffs First Round
December 1-15 - Contact period for recruits
December 7 - FCS Playoffs Second Round
December 13/14 - FCS Playoffs Quarterfinals
December 16 - January 16
- Dead period
December 20 - FBS Bowl games begin
December 21 - FCS Playoffs Semifinals
December 28 - FBS CFP Semifinals
January 11 - FCS National Championship Game
January 13 - FBS CFP National Championship Game
January 17 - Contact period for recruits

Seemed worth posting this. Ideally, UNLV has a new head football coach in the 10 days of the contact period. Any later than December 16 and the official recruiting portion of the program is at a halt until mid January, but that would be time to build a staff. A few game dates with info, recruiting timelines, and comparison with postseason game timeline - seemed like it might be worth keeping in one place.

Happy to update if there are other significant dates or if I have anything incorrect.

Last edited:
For the sake of this post, I'm assuming Coach Sanchez is relieved of his duties. No speculation or insight on that here, just some relevant dates.

November 16 - Hawaii at UNLV Hawaii is currently 5-4, but plays 4 more games (vs SJSU, at UNLV, vs SDSU, vs Army). It's fairly likely that they will be bowl eligible, but this is a chance to be a spoiler
November 23 - SJSU at UNLV Senior day at 1pm. SJSU is fighting for bowl contention, so this is a chance to play spoiler. Spartans are currently 4-5 and also play at Hawaii and host Fresno State
November 30 - UNLV at UNR 2019 UNLV football season finale season. UNR is currently 5-4 and will also play at at SDSU and at Fresno State before hosting UNLV. Spoiler opportunity and Cannon Game! This is also the last day of the regular CFB season, meaning that the coaching window opens. I believe after the regular season ends, current CFB coaches can be communicated with by other institutions. It could be that this applies to conference championship week and not the regular season.
December 16 - January 16
- Dead period
December 20 - Bowl games begin

Seemed worth posting this. Ideally, UNLV has a new head football coach in the 10 days of the contact period. Any later than December 16 and the official recruiting portion of the program is at a halt until mid January, but that would be time to build a staff. A few game dates with info, recruiting timelines, and comparison with postseason game timeline - seemed like it might be worth keeping in one place.

Happy to update if there are other significant dates or if I have anything incorrect.
Lot's of good work here. Thanks.

Reactions: khokhol

November 16 - Hawaii at UNLV Hawaii is currently 5-4, but plays 4 more games (vs SJSU, at UNLV, vs SDSU, vs Army). It's fairly likely that they will be bowl eligible, but this is a chance to be a spoiler
November 23 - SJSU at UNLV Senior day at 1pm. SJSU is fighting for bowl contention, so this is a chance to play spoiler. Spartans are currently 4-5 and also play at Hawaii and host Fresno State
November 30 - UNLV at UNR 2019 UNLV football season finale season. UNR is currently 5-4 and will also play at at SDSU and at Fresno State before hosting UNLV. Spoiler opportunity and Cannon Game! This is also the last day of the regular CFB season, meaning that the coaching window opens. I believe after the regular season ends, current CFB coaches can be communicated with by other institutions. It could be that this applies to conference championship week and not the regular season.
December 16 - January 16
- Dead period
December 20 - Bowl games begin

Hawaii and Reno games are most important for me. Both rivalry games. Winning those two would be a nice consolation prize on an otherwise disappointing season.

On a conference note, that Hawaii v SJSU game is a big matchup. Hawaii needs 7 since they play 13.

SDSU, Army despite record and SJSU are all tough match ups. UNLV vs Hawaii has been a very competitive game last few years. Warriors could miss out on bowl after a hot start.

SJSU might be best story in the conference considering how bad they have been the last two years. Already doubled win total and been competitive in most of their losses. Guy desrves a lot of MWC coach of the year consideration. Lock if they get bowl eligible.

DRF needs to get a head coach after the season pronto. I bet she is already contacting connections. And the coach will need to get a staff together and get the commits recommitted ( look at FSU ) and will need to recruit before early signing period A lot of Nevada players for this year recruiting class still uncommited.

November 23rd will also be the final UNLV game in Sam Boyd "aka Silver Bowl" Stadium.

Will a tear or two run down my cheek?.... No, that stadium represents the nearly 50 years of dysfunction that has held the UNLV football program back. It was shady land deals and profiteering and corruption at the CVA that "allegedly" led to the stadium being placed out in the sewer swamps of Hendertucky when both the university and the state owned more logical sites closer to the main campus. How many students went to games when I attended UNLV? Not many, including not me. How many attend now? Maybe now is an opportunity to start developing a student body that will attend football so an alumni base can grow that supports football.

Sorry, didn't realize that it would turn into a mini-rant when I started this reply.

November 23rd will also be the final UNLV game in Sam Boyd "aka Silver Bowl" Stadium.

Will a tear or two run down my cheek?.... No, that stadium represents the nearly 50 years of dysfunction that has held the UNLV football program back. It was shady land deals and profiteering and corruption at the CVA that "allegedly" led to the stadium being placed out in the sewer swamps of Hendertucky when both the university and the state owned more logical sites closer to the main campus. How many students went to games when I attended UNLV? Not many, including not me. How many attend now? Maybe now is an opportunity to start developing a student body that will attend football so an alumni base can grow that supports football.

Sorry, didn't realize that it would turn into a mini-rant when I started this reply.
If it wasn't for mini-rants we wouldn't have a board.

Reactions: LocoRebel

You know, it occurred to me while reading that that i never thought about why it was built in the boonies. When SBS was built, how much of the land between campus and russell/broadbent was available?

Probably most of it....

The land was a trade off for land right next to the campus that was a very profitable deal for numerous politicians and several county commissioners at the time.

I was told Sunset Park could have been the site for the stadium as well, but short sighted officials.

Sunset Park was never in the talks as far as I know. The stadium is located right under the airport runway landing path, which puts severe restrictions on the height of buildings.

You know, it occurred to me while reading that that i never thought about why it was built in the boonies. When SBS was built, how much of the land between campus and russell/broadbent was available?

Probably most of it....

The land was a trade off for land right next to the campus that was a very profitable deal for numerous politicians and several county commissioners at the time.

I've never found a written history of the stadium placement, probably mostly because it was backroom deals and nothing can be proven. And the county assessor's online land records don't go back that far.

But over the years I've bought enough beers for old-timers (I'm not quite one yet) and heard a lot of tidbits. Several names have repeatedly been mentioned in disgust, but the only one I can recall right now is Wiesner (and that's because I always drive up Sunset and then take Wiesner Way to get to the stadium... and I usually see the irony of it).

Sticking to just facts on the one name I can remember:
  • Wiesner was a 31 year old tire salesman when he was elected as the youngest ever Clark County Commissioner in 1970
  • Silver Bowl Stadium was built in 1971.
  • In 1972 Wiesner co-founded a company that made him extremely wealthy by getting deals as "management company" for the Marina Hotel construction west of the university (part of what is now MGM) and LVAC.
Those are facts. Any conclusions are just speculation. But that is one example. Was the site for the stadium already chosen by the time Wiesner was elected? Probably, and the talk is that LVCVA officials had as much to do with that as the county commissioners, but there were a lot of connections and a lot of "pay it forward" deals going around. It was an era during which most of the LV valley quietly transitioned from being "public" land to being privately owned land. 15 years before the stadium Howard Hughes acquired 35 square miles at $3 per acre. That is now Summerlin.

Last edited:
Sunset Park was never in the talks as far as I know. The stadium is located right under the airport runway landing path, which puts severe restrictions on the height of buildings.

One site that I've heard that those who cared about the university wanted was the county land west of the Interstate between Harmon and Tropicana and Decatur and Jones. Only the southeast quarter of that is still owned by the county - it is now a water retention area and park. That site would have been a comparable distance from campus as Allegiant Stadium will end up being, and I bet in the '70s that was only about a five minute drive.

Will a tear or two run down my cheek?.... No, that stadium represents the nearly 50 years of dysfunction that has held the UNLV football program back. It was shady land deals and profiteering and corruption at the CVA that "allegedly"

You know how a season is going when the thread with the most hits is about the old stadium and land deal scandals.

November 16 - Hawaii at UNLV Hawaii is currently 5-4, but plays 4 more games (vs SJSU, at UNLV, vs SDSU, vs Army). It's fairly likely that they will be bowl eligible, but this is a chance to be a spoiler Hawaii defeats UNLV 21-7. The 'bows are now 7-4 and officially bowl eligible. Still host SDSU and Army ahead. With a win over SDSU, The winner of SDSU vs Hawaii this weekend will win the West division of the Mountain West Conference.

November 23 - SJSU at UNLV
Senior day at 1pm. SJSU is fighting for bowl contention, so this is a chance to play spoiler. Spartans are currently 4-5 and SJSU lost to Hawaii 42-40 and must win at UNLV and at home vs Fresno State to become bowl eligible.also play at Hawaii and host Fresno State. Final UNLV game at the Silver Bowl!

November 30
- UNLV at UNR 2019 UNLV football season finale season. UNR is currently 5-4 and will also play at at SDSU and at Fresno State before hosting UNLV. Somehow, Reno beat SDSU 17-13, so Reno is bowl eligible but must win either at Fresno State or at home vs UNLV to lock in a bowl game. Spoiler opportunity and Cannon Game! This is also the last day of the regular CFB season, meaning that the coaching window opens. I believe after the regular season ends, current CFB coaches can be communicated with by other institutions. It could be that this applies to conference championship week and not the regular season.

December 16 - January 16
- Dead period
December 20 - FBS Bowl games begin

I just updated this with a few results and situational notes. I didn't realize until now that SDSU hadn't locked up the West. SDSU is 6-2 in conference with home losses to Mountain division foes (USU, UNR). Hawaii is 5-3 in conference with a road loss at Boise State and two home losses (AFA, Fresno State).

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT