ADVERTISEMENT

If this is true we are in for a very tough season.

Just having a coach, will give UNLV 2-3 more wins in a season, the recruiting will take time to develop, but things are looking up, it is a tough schedule especially non-conference but should help in MWC.

Just having a coach, will give UNLV 2-3 more wins in a season, the recruiting will take time to develop, but things are looking up, it is a tough schedule especially non-conference but should help in MWC.
He hasn’t coached a game yet, zero experience as a head, yet we are already counting him for 2-3 more wins per season? If so, Des deserves a lifetime contract because she struck an incredible deal.

Reactions: 220reb
He hasn’t coached a game yet, zero experience as a head, yet we are already counting him for 2-3 more wins per season? If so, Des deserves a lifetime contract because she struck an incredible deal.
I am the previous coach coudnt coach or recruit, were talking MWC football now. She deserves nothing. Arroyo was able to get 2nd best MWC recruiting in 2 months, sanchez kids he recruited will never set on campus.

I am the previous coach coudnt coach or recruit, were talking MWC football now. She deserves nothing. Arroyo was able to get 2nd best MWC recruiting in 2 months, sanchez kids he recruited will never set on campus.
How do you know this guy can coach? He hasn’t coached a game yet. Yet he’s worth 2-3 wins because of his coaching ability? Where is any evidence that he can coach? Is it because UNLV signed him, UNLV knows what they are doing, so that means it’s worth 2-3 extra wins per season automatically? Where are you getting so much faith from? Just from change? As an optimistic fan? I’m just trying to understand from where this lofty expectation stems.... if it’s based solely on recruiting.... I don’t know what to say.

All things equal the new coach came in without any experience the same as Sanchez, which makes them equal when it comes to proof as a good head coach. On the other side the staff for Arroyo has a better pedigree then that of coach Sanchez, and the athletes he has recruited are without question higher level recruits then those Sanchez recruited.

All things equal the new coach came in without any experience the same as Sanchez, which makes them equal when it comes to proof as a good head coach. On the other side the staff for Arroyo has a better pedigree then that of coach Sanchez, and the athletes he has recruited are without question higher level recruits then those Sanchez recruited.
My only point is assuming he’s such a strong coach that it equates to 2-3 extra wins a season - that’s huge, 2 or 3 games … he hasn’t coached yet. No reason to doubt him at this point, he’s yet to coach. But if we grabbed Saban, are we an 8 year team in year one? If so, then Arroyo and him are pretty equivalent. Even though Arroyo hasn’t coached a game.

I would argue there is a huge difference between a long time college assistant and a guy coming up from the HS ranks in terms of experience. Neither had D1 HC experience but one is far more familiar with the ins and outs of how a D1 program is run..

I saw somewhere that we are slated at 2.7 wins. If we get 2,3 wins are we crediting that to good coaching since we are also dogs in all the games?

I’m playing devil’s advocate since I’m hopeful that we get to 4,5. I am also being realistic in my mind that we may top out at 1 or 2.

I saw somewhere that we are slated at 2.7 wins. If we get 2,3 wins are we crediting that to good coaching since we are also dogs in all the games?

I’m playing devil’s advocate since I’m hopeful that we get to 4,5. I am also being realistic in my mind that we may top out at 1 or 2.
It is a tough schedule. Obviously those 20+ games, no shot. Conference we will have some shots though.

One positive, a lot of teams on the schedule are in the same boat with coaching changes.
It’s kinda like with Otz, at least to me. I don’t expect huge winning off the bat. Show us your recruiting, give us a glimpse of your style, let us see the foundation, growth... let’s see what your vision is. At least show us some direction.

It’s kinda like with Otz, at least to me. I don’t expect huge winning off the bat. Show us your recruiting, give us a glimpse of your style, let us see the foundation, growth... let’s see what your vision is. At least show us some direction.

Agree.

I think the recruiting will be better. Year 1 could be very bumpy.

People need to curb expectations for this season. It's a lot to expect true freshman to come in and turn things around.

A good trajectory would be.

4-8 (but fewer blowout losses)
5-7 to 6-6 year two.

I predict we will be undefeated this coming season.

Coronavirus will see to it that the season is cancelled.

Very hard to predict his coaching especially since with everything going on he can’t even coach the guys yet.

I predict we will be undefeated this coming season.

This is still Rebel football, until proven otherwise I will say we go winless.

I hope he will do a good job, but we have nothing to compare to in regards to his coaching ability. What we do have is a better staff and much better recruits which should pay dividends!

Agree on the staff.

I thought Cotton was s solid hire.

I was never a fan of the Baer hire, but I understand why Sanchez went that route. Grizzled old dude with experience.

Also liked Garrison.

Beyond that.

Was never really excited over the hires.

Was Garrison the OL coach that went to FIU? I did like him.

I liked the defensive coach that came over from USD (San Diego) that was their DC. I thought he had potential.

Other than that, maybe Sanchez deserves credit for being a good HC because, other than Cotten and Garrison, the other guys he kept were horrible! Don’t get me started on the QB coach!

Cormier was a “solid” retention for Sanchez given where we were when Sanchez was hired. Cormier wouldn’t cut it with this staff but he was one of the better recruiters we had during Tony’s tenure.

Reactions: Bullmastiff 1
Was Garrison the OL coach that went to FIU? I did like him..

I think it was FIU, but yeah... something of a swap between Garrison and Garin Justice. If memory serves it was supposed to be Garin Justice going to Arizona, but that fell apart. The FAU opening attracted Garrison and suddenly UNLV opening fell into Justice's lap.

Was Garrison the OL coach that went to FIU? I did like him.

I liked the defensive coach that came over from USD (San Diego) that was their DC. I thought he had potential.

Other than that, maybe Sanchez deserves credit for being a good HC because, other than Cotten and Garrison, the other guys he kept were horrible! Don’t get me started on the QB coach!

Cormier was a “solid” retention for Sanchez given where we were when Sanchez was hired. Cormier wouldn’t cut it with this staff but he was one of the better recruiters we had during Tony’s tenure.

It pains me to agree with you..

Like passing a kidney Stone painful.

Even a broken clock is right twice a day.

An analog clock, of course, but you're picking up what I'm putting down.

Even a digital clock that always flashes TWELVE!

I always liked Coach Cormier. He was the best recruiter on 3 consecutive staffs and produced many of the best players that we have had over those eras.

He lost some luster over the past few years, but not being able to pass the ball with any sort of consistency doesn't make the WR corps look great.

Even a digital clock that always flashes TWELVE!

I always liked Coach Cormier. He was the best recruiter on 3 consecutive staffs and produced many of the best players that we have had over those eras.

He lost some luster over the past few years, but not being able to pass the ball with any sort of consistency doesn't make the WR corps look great.

Coach C is the best!!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT