ADVERTISEMENT

If CTS was a Samurai

lvhiker

Retired Number
Mar 10, 2002
It would be time for his ceremonial end. Instead, what he needs to do is go to the AD and admit that he does not have what it takes to get the job done at UNLV and that he will do whatever is best for the program. In his public statement he needs to thank unlv for giving him the opportunity that few hs coaches get, but in the end he was not able to lead the student athletes and assistant coaches into a winning program. He accepts the responsibility for the failure and wishes the SAs, assistant coaches, and unlv success in the future.

This is what you call "manning" up. CTS has to take full responsibility for the fiasco that is unlv football. No excuses about resources or other sorts of support. Just man up and move on.

That is my humble opinion.

It would be time for his ceremonial end. Instead, what he needs to do is go to the AD and admit that he does not have what it takes to get the job done at UNLV and that he will do whatever is best for the program. In his public statement he needs to thank unlv for giving him the opportunity that few hs coaches get, but in the end he was not able to lead the student athletes and assistant coaches into a winning program. He accepts the responsibility for the failure and wishes the SAs, assistant coaches, and unlv success in the future.

This is what you call "manning" up. CTS has to take full responsibility for the fiasco that is unlv football. No excuses about resources or other sorts of support. Just man up and move on.

That is my humble opinion.
Sorry, but this is laughable. Whether you think he deserves to be canned or stay, that doesn’t matter. Whether he is confident or broken doesn’t matter.

He signed a contract. What person in their right mind is going to say, “here’s $xxx,xxx or $x,xxx,xxx back, I don’t deserve it”

You may call it noble but it’d be irresponsible to himself and his family. He worked to get the contract and the benefits and guarantees. I mean, seriously, look at it from a life standpoint. If he doesn’t make it here, then he’s going to probably have to work 10-15 years to make back what he’d be giving up by taking such a noble/stupid stance. It’s stupid. UNLV offered the contract, he signed on the terms. You never give up your bennies.

It’s not manning up, it’s dumbing down.

This is what you call "manning" up. CTS has to take full responsibility for the fiasco that is unlv football. No excuses about resources or other sorts of support.
If Coach Sanchez said that it would be the biggest lie we’ve ever heard from a UNLV coach. “Full responsibility” for UNLV Football and where we are as a program?! When did you start following this program? You act like when he was hired we were Boise State and he’s dragged us down to a bunch of losing seasons. This is an absurd opinion. You’re entitled to it, but it’s absurd.

My position hasn’t changed since this season started to turn: you give Sanchez one more year. With that year, he needs to get us back on track to where his slow, steady progress was taking us before this season. 6 wins or more. No excuses. I don’t care if there are injuries. Guys get injured. A team that is slowly building should have quality depth that can step in that has been redshirted, growing stronger, and getting ready for major minutes on the practice field and in spot minutes as a young player.

Scour the JC market for some 2-year guys who can contribute immediately. Find more Tyleek Collins-type players who can contribute as freshmen... on both sides of the ball.

Sanchez in years 1, 2, and 3 was trending upward. Slow, but upward. This was a setback. But we need to bounce back. Next year. 6 wins or bust.

If Coach Sanchez said that it would be the biggest lie we’ve ever heard from a UNLV coach. “Full responsibility” for UNLV Football and where we are as a program?! When did you start following this program? You act like when he was hired we were Boise State and he’s dragged us down to a bunch of losing seasons. This is an absurd opinion. You’re entitled to it, but it’s absurd.

My position hasn’t changed since this season started to turn: you give Sanchez one more year. With that year, he needs to get us back on track to where his slow, steady progress was taking us before this season. 6 wins or more. No excuses. I don’t care if there are injuries. Guys get injured. A team that is slowly building should have quality depth that can step in that has been redshirted, growing stronger, and getting ready for major minutes on the practice field and in spot minutes as a young player.

Scour the JC market for some 2-year guys who can contribute immediately. Find more Tyleek Collins-type players who can contribute as freshmen... on both sides of the ball.

Sanchez in years 1, 2, and 3 was trending upward. Slow, but upward. This was a setback. But we need to bounce back. Next year. 6 wins or bust.
Funny, he wants Sanchez out for not winning enough.

But he supported Tark’s ouster because the huge success made academics even more insignificant than they actually were at the time.

Reactions: Sam-I-am
Eh, don’t get me started.

UNLV HAD money long ago, it’s what happens when you dominate in college basketball and lead the country in merchandising for the sport. Admittedly, football should have been better taken care of financially back then.

The majority didn’t get what they wanted, Tarkanian to remain here. The minority, which included some local power people and jealous academians and administrators, wanted Tarkanian out at all costs because he was an “embarrassment” for his off-court issues... if that was an embarrassment, what the hell is now? Tark gets ousted a two years after a national championship, one year after a final four, immediately following a 26-2 season that saw them in the top 10 after rattling off 23 straight (we were ineligible for post season because of sanctions, which, in comparison to today’s infractions were light). The program was sabotaged internally by presidents and AD’s and others at the school, in cahoots with the LVRJ.... and after that, Tark is booted. The braintrusts figured things were rolling so well that anybody could drive the train and they bring in the disasterous washed up Rollie Massimino... the program nosedives and never comes close to recovering while money is hemorrhaged.

The people that “won” that battle are long gone, they don’t give a shit. The ones that lost the battle, a few remain but not many. The “winners” were dead wrong as time and an NCAA settlement showed, the “losers” were right. Unless we need two more decades of nothingness to prove it.

I love my teams, I hate my school.

I burned my diploma the day it was sent to me in the mail (I refused to walk) because it had one of the idiot saboteur president’s name on it.

It really is a screwed up institution.

UNLV HAD money long ago, it’s what happens when you dominate in college basketball and lead the country in merchandising for the sport. Admittedly, football should have been better taken care of financially back then.

The majority didn’t get what they wanted, Tarkanian to remain here. The minority, which included some local power people and jealous academians and administrators, wanted Tarkanian out at all costs because he was an “embarrassment” for his off-court issues... if that was an embarrassment, what the hell is now? Tark gets ousted a two years after a national championship, one year after a final four, immediately following a 26-2 season that saw them in the top 10 after rattling off 23 straight (we were ineligible for post season because of sanctions, which, in comparison to today’s infractions were light). The program was sabotaged internally by presidents and AD’s and others at the school, in cahoots with the LVRJ.... and after that, Tark is booted. The braintrusts figured things were rolling so well that anybody could drive the train and they bring in the disasterous washed up Rollie Massimino... the program nosedives and never comes close to recovering while money is hemorrhaged.

The people that “won” that battle are long gone, they don’t give a shit. The ones that lost the battle, a few remain but not many. The “winners” were dead wrong as time and an NCAA settlement showed, the “losers” were right. Unless we need two more decades of nothingness to prove it.

I burned my diploma the day it was sent to me in the mail (I refused to walk) because it had one of the idiot saboteur president’s name on it.

Ah. So the OP was part of that minority. Thanks for the clarification.

Joe, it seems like we have this conversation once a year or so. My memory of events are the following:

Tarkanian was an astoundingly successful coach. Won a national championship. Whatever was going on between the administration and athletics was way, way above my pay grade.

The events, in chronological order, as far as I can recall.

The RJ published the PHOTO of three or so b-ball players in a hot tub with ? Perry, a known fixer of college b-ball games. Not the greatest publicity for a university.

Next, at some meeting between Tarkanian, Maxson, and god knows who, Tarkanian agreed to resign with the proviso that he could coach one last season. I assume that was the 26 and 2 season.

Now comes a massive, what if. If that was the end of it and Jerry resigned as agreed to, what would have happened to unlv basketball? We will never know.

Instead, Tarkanian, I assume at the behest of friends, decided to rescind his resignation. UNLV said "no thanks." At that point, the proverbial sh&*%t hit the fan, and Las Vegas split into two camps, much like today's politics. The so-called pro-Tark group versus the pro-UNLV group, or Joe would say pro-athletics versus pro-academics.

The ensuing war poisoned the well and what once looked like a great coaching opportunity at UNLV after Tark resigned became a bottomless pit after Tark un-resigned.

When sides had to be chosen, I was unabashedly on the pro-academics side. On the other hand, I have always felt, still feel, and will feel in the future, that there is no reason that academic and athletic success cannot co-exist on campus.

Regardless of what went on behind the scene, that was my view from my office on campus. From my perspective, Tark resigned and was not fired. I assume he was encouraged to resign but that is besides the point. From campus, it looked like he resigned and then decided to un-resign. And that was when the circus began.

Joe, it seems like we have this conversation once a year or so. My memory of events are the following:

Tarkanian was an astoundingly successful coach. Won a national championship. Whatever was going on between the administration and athletics was way, way above my pay grade.

The events, in chronological order, as far as I can recall.

The RJ published the PHOTO of three or so b-ball players in a hot tub with ? Perry, a known fixer of college b-ball games. Not the greatest publicity for a university.

Next, at some meeting between Tarkanian, Maxson, and god knows who, Tarkanian agreed to resign with the proviso that he could coach one last season. I assume that was the 26 and 2 season.

Now comes a massive, what if. If that was the end of it and Jerry resigned as agreed to, what would have happened to unlv basketball? We will never know.

Instead, Tarkanian, I assume at the behest of friends, decided to rescind his resignation. UNLV said "no thanks." At that point, the proverbial sh&*%t hit the fan, and Las Vegas split into two camps, much like today's politics. The so-called pro-Tark group versus the pro-UNLV group, or Joe would say pro-athletics versus pro-academics.

The ensuing war poisoned the well and what once looked like a great coaching opportunity at UNLV after Tark resigned became a bottomless pit after Tark un-resigned.

When sides had to be chosen, I was unabashedly on the pro-academics side. On the other hand, I have always felt, still feel, and will feel in the future, that there is no reason that academic and athletic success cannot co-exist on campus.

Regardless of what went on behind the scene, that was my view from my office on campus. From my perspective, Tark resigned and was not fired. I assume he was encouraged to resign but that is besides the point. From campus, it looked like he resigned and then decided to un-resign. And that was when the circus began.
I’ll add some thoughts later. Hopefully @Ernie Baer can respond to this because he seems to have a ton of knowledge on some of the more intricate details that I just don’t know.

But blaming our downfall on his pulling back on his forced resignation instead of the chronic sabotage he was constantly facing.... seems just a little misplaced.

Reactions: Sam-I-am
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT