ADVERTISEMENT

I don't get it

WarthogRebel

Rebel Legend
Gold Member
Dec 31, 2006
How can we not only go year after year - but decade after decade - sucking. It doesn't make any difference who the coach is, what administration we have, who we recruit or who we play. Guaranteed we will suck every year. We will lose at home by 6 TD's. Our defense will be porous. Our offense will be inept. Our coaches will look stupid and our fans will be apathetic.

I don't get how this can go on for so many years. It doesn't seem this could happen even if we tried - it would seem we would occasionally be successful just by mistake. But no. We are destined to suck EVERY year.

Since John Robinson, every hire has been a trendy hire beyond Hauck.

Sanford was the read option OC under Urban Meyer that had no prior history of success prior to Utah
Sanchez was a successful high school HC with no OC/DC experience
Hauck was a FCS HC that primarily coached special teams
Arroyo was an Oregon OC that had no history of success prior to Oregon

Reactions: s89103 and 220reb

Sanford was the read option OC under Urban Meyer that had no prior history of success prior to Utah

yep, lazy hires. Basketball has been no different.

Reactions: j. spilotro
Should have just stuck with Hauck a couple more years. Getting UNLV to a bowl game should get you like 4 extra years. I'm 32 and I can remember 2 bowl games in my life. Arkansas and North Texas. Unfortunately Arroyo just doesn't seem to get it. He's seems more brand and marketing manager than he does coach. All about showing us his cool Jordans( which he can buy a lot of with the 1.5 million he is stealing from the university every year), hype videos, cool uniforms etc. Etc. He is going to get paid 3 million before we even win a game.

How can we not only go year after year - but decade after decade - sucking. It doesn't make any difference who the coach is, what administration we have, who we recruit or who we play. Guaranteed we will suck every year. We will lose at home by 6 TD's. Our defense will be porous. Our offense will be inept. Our coaches will look stupid and our fans will be apathetic.

I don't get how this can go on for so many years. It doesn't seem this could happen even if we tried - it would seem we would occasionally be successful just by mistake. But no. We are destined to suck EVERY year.

Reference the Detroit Lions ! Re-Building since 1957 the same year UNLV was founded.

Should have just stuck with Hauck a couple more years. Getting UNLV to a bowl game should get you like 4 extra years. I'm 32 and I can remember 2 bowl games in my life. Arkansas and North Texas. Unfortunately Arroyo just doesn't seem to get it. He's seems more brand and marketing manager than he does coach. All about showing us his cool Jordans( which he can buy a lot of with the 1.5 million he is stealing from the university every year), hype videos, cool uniforms etc. Etc. He is going to get paid 3 million before we even win a game.
Hauck managed to get out of his own way with his ego when Nick Sherry had as bad a first 2.5 games as Rogers has had. Caleb was better in camp and practice leading up to it and Hauck finally made the change. Without Caleb and Tim Cornett balling out they are 2-11 just like Hauck other 4 seasons.

Reactions: RebNReno
Hauck managed to get out of his own way with his ego when Nick Sherry had as bad a first 2.5 games as Rogers has had. Caleb was better in camp and practice leading up to it and Hauck finally made the change. Without Caleb and Tim Cornett balling out they are 2-11 just like Hauck other 4 seasons.
Seriously what is with the delusion of Hauck being decent just because Herring single handedly willed the team to a bowl game. Haunch was a huge step down from Sanford in every way other than Sanford never got over the bowl hump. Also Sanchez was far better than Hauck.

Hauck had the least competitive and most boring UNLV teams I’d seen in decades as a unlv fan (until Arroyo).

Reactions: RebNReno

Meyer went 17-6 at Bowling Green of all places, with an innovative offense which got him the Utah job.

Hauck was a special teams guy but so was John Harbaugh who has done well at the NFL level.

Take Norvell and the current coach at San Jose State. Neither of them had amazing resumes. Norvelle's was solid, similiar to Sanford. In fact if they had been hired here people would have bitched about it.

But both have had pretty good success. Norvell took over a Reno program that has been at least decent for awhile. San Jose guy has made chicken salad out of the chicken crap he inherited at San Jose State.

We know the results. It's easy to question the hires now. But Hauck and Sanford had good enough resumes.

Sanford got close to turning it around in year 4. Had 2 P5 wins, beat a ranked ASU team at the time. Had 3 losses in games the Rebs were leading or tied going into the fourth quarter.

Year 5 was a step back. He backed into 5-7 and couldn't beat Reno.

Sanchez was a desperation hire. Program needed the money he could bring. He had a nice early trajectory his first three years. Was able to beat Reno a few times. Unfortunately year four and five the program stagnated. Defense failed to improve.

He hitched his wagon to Armani Rogers. I attended every practice that Spring where Stanton and Rogers battled for the starting spot.

There was no way Rogers was the better QB.

That may have changed in fall camp. But during the Spring Stanton was the better QB.

Arroyo's resume at first glance looks solid. Closer inspection, his offenses were never very good.

I know from pretty good sources who some of the other candidates were, and who was being considered. Of those names, Arroyo was down the list for me.

I can't say for sure, but other names I heard being looked at were Danny Gonzales (Now at New Mexico) and Morgan Scalley the Utah Defensive coordinator. (Scalley had an issue that would have made his hiring problematic).

I was high on Danny Gonzales. Rocky Long disciple..

Speaking of which, always thought Sanford should have gone after Long to be his DC after Long was fired from New Mexico. Guessing he didn't want to put his potential replacement on his staff...

Last edited:
Reactions: s89103 and willlevi
Suggest a committee be formed, each member to interview one of the former UNLV football coaches to gain their perspective on the program & what to do to improve it from their standpoint. I'm sure there's a code among coaches never to publicly criticize a program that they either quit or had to resign. But, this process would register their insights anonymously. The committee would consolidate the responses into a single document that hopefully could guide the administration, AD, etc., in making whatever changes necessary.

Questions, of course could inquire about lack of money, facilities, lack of fan support (donors, etc.). Rebel-Net members (you) could be solicited to provide your own questions, and, btw, the coaches could be encouraged to state their own failures re: lack of experience,d etc. IOW, an overall assessment from every angle.

From such a report from the committee, admin., DA, fans (donors), etc., could then map a future plan to upgrade UNLV's football program and recommend whatever changes from more commitment, drop to FCS, or end the program entirely.

Jay Norvell actually had a pretty good resume before getting hired at Nevada.

Brent Brennan only won 3 total games in his first two years at San Jose State & 5 wins in year three.
The 7-1 Covid season was impressive but it's yet to be seen if he can deliver back-to-back winning seasons.

As for Armani Rogers, he just has never had the accuracy as a passer to be a full time starter at quarterback.

I hoped they would go with a defensive guy with the last hire specifically Jay Hill of Weber State.

Hopefully Arroyo, has a Brennan like turnaround next season.

Reactions: LocoRebel

Brent Brennan only won 3 total games in his first two years at San Jose State & 5 wins in year three.
The 7-1 Covid season was impressive but it's yet to be seen if he can deliver back-to-back winning seasons.

As for Armani Rogers, he just has never had the accuracy as a passer to be a full time starter at quarterback.

I hoped they would go with a defensive guy with the last hire specifically Jay Hill of Weber State.

Jay Hill was my top candidate. No chance he's available after Arroyo has taken this and 3 more years for of money from UNLV.

And frankly, this would be a bad job for someone like him. He has so much to lose by taking over a program this bad. .

Based on how this season is going so far, it's really hard to see the program hitting a light switch like SJSU did last year. Need to see some significant improvements throughout this year once the schedule lightens up a bit. But wow, it doesn't look good.

Having said that, the schedule will be easier next season. Two non-conference home games that should be winnable (Idaho State and North Texas). Just about all of our MW West division opponents should have QB turnover (UNR, Fresno, SJSU, and SDSU). We also get UNM and AF at home. If there is a season that is set up for us to make any kind of leap, it would be next year.

Seriously what is with the delusion of Hauck being decent just because Herring single handedly willed the team to a bowl game. Haunch was a huge step down from Sanford

Jay's resume looked a lot like Sanford's.
I'm not discounting Jay, just saying his resume looks similiar to guys we have hired.

Brennan, looked like a disaster early on, but they have been on a good trajectory since.

I guess my point is, it's easy to slam the hires we have made, but when you compare the resumes of guys hired here vs other MWC schools they stack up.

For whatever reason UNLV has struck out.

At half the Rebels had 23 yards in offense (per the scoreboard at Allegiant) and Iowa State had had 24 points. I went up for refreshments and before the 3rd quarter had started I checked the same south end zone scoreboard and the Rebs had 17 total yards of offense….that’s how bad it was on the field Saturday night.

Seriously what is with the delusion of Hauck being decent just because Herring single handedly willed the team to a bowl game. Haunch was a huge step down from Sanford in every way other than Sanford never got over the bowl hump. Also Sanchez was far better than Hauck.

Hauck had the least competitive and most boring UNLV teams I’d seen in decades as a unlv fan (until Arroyo).
IIRC, the yr before, Herring was the QB who blew the Southern Utah game by throwing at least one pick-6. He also was a head case, so Hauck benched him, at least playing him at WR rest of the season. When Herring came back that next yr, his head straightened out & yes, "carried" the team. But, it was Hauck who made it possible. Damned good coaching, I say.

The more I think about it, none of you know what the hell you're talking about. If anything, the problem w/ Rebel football is you.

IIRC, the yr before, Herring was the QB who blew the Southern Utah game by throwing at least one pick-6. He also was a head case, so Hauck benched him, at least playing him at WR rest of the season. When Herring came back that next yr, his head straightened out & yes, "carried" the team. But, it was Hauck who made it possible. Damned good coaching, I say.

The more I think about it, none of you know what the hell you're talking about. If anything, the problem w/ Rebel football is you.
That’s the way to do it, all else fails blame the fans!!!!

• Haha
Reactions: bcvegaspt
Herring threw several pick 6’s and we got absolutely destroyed by Southern Utah 41-10 if I remember correctly. Let that sit with you for a minute 41-10 to fcs school. Horrific.
No matter what happened the year before, Herring was head and shoulders better than sherry thru spring and fall camp and Hauck still almost threw away the season sticking with his boy Sherry to the detriment of the team. Herring came in with the team down 20 points and willed them to a win and the rest is history. Your friend or family member Hauck is probably a good guy, but he is a terrible fbs coach (the second worst in school history until Arroyo).

Have fun at the Montana games, as they are at least better than UNLV now.

Blah blah blah, you still post the same stupid nonsense now as you did when your boy Bobby was here! 🖕🏼

Jay's resume looked a lot like Sanford's.
I'm not discounting Jay, just saying his resume looks similiar to guys we have hired.

Brennan, looked like a disaster early on, but they have been on a good trajectory since.

I guess my point is, it's easy to slam the hires we have made, but when you compare the resumes of guys hired here vs other MWC schools they stack up.

For whatever reason UNLV has struck out.
Jay Hill turned the Weber State team that had was coming off of back-to-back 2 win season into a annual playoff team immediately improving the program having turned down the Utah Defensive Coordinator job.
Annually, UNLV has been at the bottom of the barrel defensively since the 1980s & that has been the biggest deterrent to winning IMO

Jay Hill turned the Weber State team that had was coming off of back-to-back 2 win season into a annual playoff team immediately improving the program having turned down the Utah Defensive Coordinator job.
Annually, UNLV has been at the bottom of the barrel defensively since the 1980s & that has been the biggest deterrent to winning IMO

Sorry should have clarified. Was talking about Norvell being similiar to Sanford.

I liked Jay Hill. I thought he would be an unpopular hire though. The FCS move up from FCS would have been to reminiscent of Hauck.

Of names considered (Realistic possibilities not the pipe dream names that always pop up.) These were the names/candidates I liked in order.

1) Danny Gonzales
2) Morgan Scalley
3) J. Hill
4) Arroyo

There were some other names that popped up but seemed unrealistic or didn't make sense.

Totally agree about looking for a defensive minded guy. I was really high on Danny Gonzales.

I don't expect him to work miracles at UNM, but he'll make them better.

The one season UNLV went to a bowl game, they didn't beat a single team with a winning record, let that sink in!

The one season UNLV went to a bowl game, they didn't beat a single team with a winning record, let that sink in!
I thought all you guys wanted was a trip to a bowl & you got it w/ a rehabbed Herring under Hauck's guidance.

So the Rebels are the Statt Padfford of College Football who is 8-67 against teams that finished the season with a Winning record!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT