ADVERTISEMENT

I am very concerned about recruiting

220reb

Rebel Legend
May 29, 2001
He did not recruit at a high level when he was in the SEC at Missouri. Please tell me things will be verry Different this time. I understand that he is a good evaluator of talent.

Last edited:
He did not recruit at a high level when he was in the SEC at Missouri. Please tell me things will be verry Different this time. I understand that he is a good evaluator of talent.

Can't say for sure.

My hope is that he retains a couple guys on this staff with regional ties. That should also help limit guys entering the portal.

It's a legitimate concern though.

Missouri is not an easy place to recruit to, but a ”great” recruiter certainly would have done better. From what I’ve read, he’s a solid recruiter just not a great one. Key will be hiring a few assistants that are very good at it. In the “portal” age that we now live in though, recruiting has changed quite a bit. Especially at a school like UNLV. Recruiting the portal is much different than recruiting HS & JC players. Will be interesting to see what his approach is to filling out the roster.

It is a concern that he wasn’t a great recruiter but it’s not like his classes were bad at Missouri. I am interested to see how he approaches this first class. We only have 2 HS commits so I think he goes heavy on the portal this year. I’m curious to see if he brings in SEC guys in. I was looking at his last Missouri class and saw a couple defensive guys are in the portal now. Not saying he’ll go after them but he did recruit them once already.

There are some Arkansas Defensive players in the portal too. I don’t know how many will follow him but it wouldn’t surprise me if a few do. I’m cautiously excited about seeing the defense he puts together.

There are some Arkansas Defensive players in the portal too. I don’t know how many will follow him but it wouldn’t surprise me if a few do. I’m cautiously excited about seeing the defense he puts together.

We've been so bad on that side of the ball for so long..

It would be nice to not have to score 30+ every game to have a shot.

You guys remember when Missouri players boycotted back in 2015. The epicenter of wokeness..hard to fault the Coach when your players walk off to join a cause.

Reactions: LVRebel2000
If anything I’m excited about the recruiting. Probably not going to be flashy, but can see it translating well in the MW.

Backup guys in SEC are all mountain west players.
Think it’s interesting he’s from the south. His brother is a coach at USC, so wonder if he’ll be the DC, which would help with Cali recruiting.

Arroyo only had 3 kids committed for 2023 and did well with transfer portal, but had small high school class for 2022.

Odom’s classes weren’t bad. More blue collar mentality with building up the lines and defense. He’s got 5 guys in the NFL that weren’t highly recruited so he has an eye for talent. Pretty impressive for a HC in 4 years. Can’t remember the last time UNLV had someone drafted. Maybe Jacoby Windmon for 2023. Oh and by the way he is from the south.

If anything I’m excited about the recruiting. Probably not going to be flashy, but can see it translating well in the MW.

Backup guys in SEC are all mountain west players.
Think it’s interesting he’s from the south. His brother is a coach at USC, so wonder if he’ll be the DC, which would help with Cali recruiting.

Arroyo only had 3 kids committed for 2023 and did well with transfer portal, but had small high school class for 2022.

Odom’s classes weren’t bad. More blue collar mentality with building up the lines and defense. He’s got 5 guys in the NFL that weren’t highly recruited so he has an eye for talent. Pretty impressive for a HC in 4 years. Can’t remember the last time UNLV had someone drafted. Maybe Jacoby Windmon for 2023. Oh and by the way he is from the south.
He did not recruit at a high SEC level. That's why MIZZOU let him go. They couldn't compete. I hope he will try something different at UNLV.

Recruiting absolutely IS a question mark here.

I went through and crunched the numbers for his defensive recruits in another thread, and I think there's some reason to be concerned. It does look like, especially on the portal, he improved quite a bit when he went to Arkansas. He got more 4-5* transfer last year then he recruited straight out of high school at MIzzou. The guys he was getting were all from Texas and Florida.

However, he does, find 2-3 star guys that end up being SEC starters and/or NFL players, so he and/or his staff are apparently good at developing or identifying guys prime for development. I think that's a niche that could work really well at UNLV.

He's going to need a local recruiting guy, He's going to need a West Coast and/or California guy. Ideally someone that can go regionally--but I'd honestly trade that to start getting some more Texas and Florida recruits. I think a lot of his staff production/selection will determine how successful he'll be here, but I feel like he's got a pretty good idea of how to handle the portal, and I think he'll have a higher floor than CMA.

Last edited:
Reactions: 220reb
He did not recruit at a high SEC level. That's why MIZZOU let him go. They couldn't compete. I hope he will try something different at UNLV.
Drinkwitz is a much better recruiter on paper, but is sitting below .500 after 3 seasons at Mizzou. Of the 10 Mizzou players drafted after Odom left, 9 of them were Odom recruits and none of them were 4 star guys out of high school. Drinkwitz's only NFL recruit was a Tulsa transfer.

He didn’t have top 25 classes. Ranked between 38-44 per 247. Had better results on the field.

He does have to work it with current players on the team though… he needs to lock up the “core” roster worth keeping, moving forward!
Sounds like that’s his goal. Not going to be Arroyo situation. He’s a players coach and will play best per SEC resources on the radio.

Reactions: LVRebel2000
The OC hire will be huge.
Calls would be made to potential OCs, or THE OC, during the hiring process. Salaries would be discussed and money would be earmarked before a contract is signed. Official announcement today at 10. The OC is almost positively already hired. Announcement should be in the next day or two but I’d imagine they’re already recruiting as much as they can if they’re still employed elsewhere

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT