ADVERTISEMENT

HUGE NEWS!

So for all the doom and gloomers...
UNLV fleeced the MWC, did not sign a GOR, and have basically an open clause that lets them leave to a P4 if the invite comes without penalty.. 10 million lump sum Adds 1.5-1.8 million annually in addition to their normal payout... Huge competitive advantage that we just got
yeah. Although the post above you says maybe we did sign a GOR, but either way, if we have the freedom to leave for a P4 conference, given the opportunity, along with the extra funds, that sounds like a win to me.

UNLV fleeced the MWC, did not sign a GOR, and have basically an open clause that lets them leave to a P4 if the invite comes without penalty.. 10 million lump sum Adds 1.5-1.8 million annually in addition to their normal payout... Huge competitive advantage that we just got

I said I'm warming up to it! Jeez!

Where did you read that? It said above that we did sign a GOR.

According to a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) signed by President Whitfield, the Mountain West will pay an estimated lump sum of $10-to-14 million to UNLV in 2025, and also pay UNLV approximately $1.5-to-1.8 million annually over a six-year period beginning in July 2026. The new payments are on top of the current revenue streams from existing contracts and media assets. The current media deal expires in June 2026 and negotiations for a new media deal will begin in the near future. The university will also have the flexibility to explore future membership in an autonomous “Power Four” conference without penalty should the opportunity become available.

According to a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) signed by President Whitfield, the Mountain West will pay an estimated lump sum of $10-to-14 million to UNLV in 2025, and also pay UNLV approximately $1.5-to-1.8 million annually over a six-year period beginning in July 2026. The new payments are on top of the current revenue streams from existing contracts and media assets. The current media deal expires in June 2026 and negotiations for a new media deal will begin in the near future. The university will also have the flexibility to explore future membership in an autonomous “Power Four” conference without penalty should the opportunity become available.
Very good deal if true. Especially the P4 move without penalty

UNLV’s statement doesn’t say it but other reports are all saying a “Grant of Rights“ as well. I guess we’ll have to wait and see the agreement.
UNLV specifically calls it a MOU. It's being called that by reports because its to go get a new media deal, but UNLV specifically got the free P4 out, not the other 6 programs is my understanding. Where else would we go thats not a P4 in next 5 years...

You mean, with Boise St. and their premium gone, we have to start hating ourselves, instead?

UNLV specifically calls it a MOU. It's being called that by reports because its to go get a new media deal, but UNLV specifically got the free P4 out, not the other 6 programs is my understanding. Where else would we go thats not a P4 in next 5 years...
An MOU is a standard document that outlines the key deal points. All parties sign it then hand it to their lawyers to write up the actual agreement. The MOU and the agreement itself mirror each other. That said, until the actual agreement is signed it is still possible a school could change its mind.

Reactions: LVRebel2000
If we did get a P4 out that means the MW is pretty sure it isn't coming.

Maybe this is my ever optimist...

But if it was between saving your conference or not I think you do it.

If UNLV left AFA was very likely bolting to AAC.

Down to four the best option at that point is probably look to merge with CUSA.

Not saying BIG12 happens. I still think it's unlikely, but UNLV had that provision put in place. And they were smart to do so. I don't think anybody else did. (If they did I haven't seen it)..

Dudes got 10k followers. Not sure how reliable the info is but.

If NIU and Toledo reached out 1st maybe this has legs.

I've been pretty down about not joining PAC. But Toledo and NIU have been solid programs.

If Gloria can add Texas State and possibly a combination (or all) of SAC State, UTEP and NMSU I'll feel better about the viability of the MWC..

No Utep and NMSU aren't great but regionality makes sense.

And they get us to the minimum

Last edited:

Dudes got 10k followers. Not sure how reliable the info is but.

If NIU and Toledo reached out 1st maybe this has legs.

I've been pretty down about not joining PAC. But Toledo and NIU have been solid programs.

If Gloria can add Texas State and possibly a combination (or all) of SAC State, UTEP and NMSU I'll feel better about the viability of the MWC..

No Utep and NMSU aren't great but regionality makes sense.

And they get us to the minimum
NIU and Toledo have had some good teams. Actually think it could be a win/win. We (Current MW) gets 2 solid football only schools and we get into the fertile recruiting areas of Chicago and Ohio. Plus it could boost the media deal at least enough for them to be cost neutral from a payout perspective. They, of course, get into a better conference for football. Texas St would be the best full member school being talked about in my opinion. Still would need 1 more full member, but would probably take 2 (or a 4th football only school) to get to 12. Don’t really have any strong feelings on who would be best out of the 3 you mentioned, though another football only MAC school like Miami (OH) could be intriguing.

Reactions: Bullmastiff 1
NIU and Toledo have had some good teams. Actually think it could be a win/win. We (Current MW) gets 2 solid football only schools and we get into the fertile recruiting areas of Chicago and Ohio. Plus it could boost the media deal at least enough for them to be cost neutral from a payout perspective. They, of course, get into a better conference for football. Texas St would be the best full member school being talked about in my opinion. Still would need 1 more full member, but would probably take 2 (or a 4th football only school) to get to 12. Don’t really have any strong feelings on who would be best out of the 3 you mentioned, though another football only MAC school like Miami (OH) could be intriguing.

Yeah..I'm not enamored with prospect of NMSU and UTEP but they make sense on a few levels.

This will sound back handed but. There just aren't a lot of other options.

Geographic sense.

We might need them to survive.
And who's to say with a little more media money they couldn't start improving some things. They would also be saving a little in overall travel expenses I think. (Could be wrong I didn't bust out a map and ruler to calculate)

Side note.

Their fan base on Twitter is almost in unison saying please God let this happen. Followed by 'But we are UTEP and nothing good happens to us.' 🤣

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT