ADVERTISEMENT

Hey Reb

It's probably a good thing to commit now as he may not get much opportunity to prove himself for better opportunities his senior year if his season gets cancelled. Could be a good thing for us as well.

It's probably a good thing to commit now as he may not get much opportunity to prove himself for better opportunities his senior year if his season gets cancelled. Could be a good thing for us as well.
He already had 3 much better offers than UNLV. Another big pick up by staff.

I am not sure where you got the 3rd much better offer? Ole Miss - Yes, Memphis - probably, Toledo? unr?
He was offered by Baylor as well. Rivals isn’t updated and tbh Toledo is a better football school than unlv. Memphis as a “probably” is a bit off too. We have great facilities now and the future is bright but we average four or less wins a season, in a low rated conference and haven’t had a player drafted in a very long time. This program isn’t much better than many nationally

Reactions: j. spilotro
We are referring to the better offer, not the better history. If you go by history, almost every job in the country and most of the MWC would be considered a better offer. The new facilities and stadium, along with a great new coaching staff are why UNLV is most likely going to finish first or second in the conference this year in recruiting. The recruits can see the future of this program. Based on the new training facilities and stadium, UNLV has the best facilities of any program that made an offer and has a much bigger upside to the program.

UNLV new stadium built in 2020. 65K seating that is expandable to 72K when needed.

Memphis 58K seating built in 1965 with the last expansion in 1987. The stadium has had so remolding since, but is an old stadium. Memphis has good facilities. In 2014 they took a program that struggled for decades (very rarely having a winning record), and turned them into a winner (The jump in their recruiting is what I see happening to UNLV over the next 2-5 years). Currently this is a better offer, but I can see that changing if UNLV comes out and plays well from the start.

Toledo 26K seats with the original stadium built in 1937 and the last expansion in 1990 with several remodel projects since. They have used overflow areas for additional seating during games. While they have been an up and down program that goes to bowl games on a regular basis, this program is very limited by really bad and undersized facilities. I see this program is one that is going nowhere and I would be willing to bet that most players would pick UNLV over Toledo with the new stadium open! Their average attendance was just over 20K last year which will be far below that of UNLV based on season tickets sales.

Ole Miss 60.5K seats with the original construction in 1970 and additions added in 1981. This stadium has also had several remodel projects. This team hasn't had a winning record since 2015, and with a few exceptions, is routinely near the bottom of the SEC in the western division. The huge positive for them is being part of the SEC, but they struggle because they are routinely out gunned! The fact they are SEC puts them clearly above all of the other programs.

unr 27K was built in 1966 with numerous expansions over the year, and then a reduction from 30K to 27K in 2017. This stadium even made Sam Boyd look good. UNR has been in crash and burn mode over the past few years going from an attendance average of 24,939 per game in 2013 down to 16,180 in 2019. This is an easy call, the program is dying!

Ok, so now the only thing that matters in a program is how many seats your stadium has? Lol how many of those seats will go unused too?

idk what you’re trying to argue with me about too lol I said I’m impressed with the new staff. Would you like me to say I’m impressed with the new stadium for recruiting high level player?

I don’t think there are many people who would argue that ole miss, Baylor and Memphis aren’t better offers than ours and how we should be impressed by our staff.

I never said how many seats is the only thing that matters, but how many people want to play in an over sized high school stadium? You said Toledo is a better offer and I pointed out that UNLV now has far better facilities. Obviously UNLV can't compare our past record, so the only way to compare will be based on recruiting. Last year Toledo has a slightly better recruiting class, this year we are having a better recruiting class, and that can only be based on our new facilities and new staff. If both of those are better, that make UNLV a better offer. If you want to base it on past success, that would put UNLV behind New Mexico, unr, Wyoming, etc., which are all programs that are struggling in regards to recruiting players.

I never said how many seats is the only thing that matters, but how many people want to play in an over sized high school stadium? You said Toledo is a better offer and I pointed out that UNLV now has far better facilities. Obviously UNLV can't compare our past record, so the only way to compare will be based on recruiting. Last year Toledo has a slightly better recruiting class, this year we are having a better recruiting class, and that can only be based on our new facilities and new staff. If both of those are better, that make UNLV a better offer. If you want to base it on past success, that would put UNLV behind New Mexico, unr, Wyoming, etc., which are all programs that are struggling in regards to recruiting players.
Ok, I’m not impressed with our staff anymore. Our facilities make us a top 25 program now. We should be recruiting better

Vegas is the best city in the world.

You've got to give Toledo more credit. Look at this picture of famous Delaware Park. Who could want a more picturesque setting to go for a nice picnic?
new-kayak-lainch.jpg

Reactions: Doneoett
You've got to give Toledo more credit. Look at this picture of famous Delaware Park. Who could want a more picturesque setting to go for a nice picnic?
new-kayak-lainch.jpg
Amen, brother.....so much focused on needless thing. The city is the big draw.

IMO,Best Cities in the World: (Not in any order)

London
Paris
Vienna
Barcelona

As with most every city, these are still great but they are worse than they were 20 years ago.

New York and San Francisco used to be on my list but have dropped off due to crime and homeless infestations. Hong Kong was on the list until their recent troubles.

IMO,Best Cities in the World: (Not in any order)

London
Paris
Vienna
Barcelona

As with most every city, these are still great but they are worse than they were 20 years ago.

New York and San Francisco used to be on my list but have dropped off due to crime and homeless infestations. Hong Kong was on the list until their recent troubles.
What would you say now, nationally?

You gotta be kidding me. It’s horrible.

It once was a very cool town. Massive growth turned this place into a soulless, faceless, high crime wasteland with one of the worst school districts in the nation.

From 4am until 7am in the summer is pretty nice though.

I am guessing that you have not lived in Las Vegas very long? The crime rate in the 70's and 80's in Las Vegas was far higher than it is now, the school district has always worried more about spending tax dollars on social program then teaching students (that is why I found the money to put my kids in private schools through 8th grade). They have the money to give away free food year round to students and their families, but not enough money to provide text books to every student! The school district is nothing but a social program that has nothing to do with education!

I don’t travel enough to multiple cities anymore to give a good opinion on what is the best United States city. I used to travel regularly to New York to catch Yankee games and San Francisco because it was such a great place. Haven’t been to San Francisco in a couple of years because it turned into such a sh*t hole. Stopped going to New York last year. I used to stay in Brooklyn and the neighborhood was just deteriorating so I quit going.

I am guessing that you have not lived in Las Vegas very long? The crime rate in the 70's and 80's in Las Vegas was far higher than it is now, the school district has always worried more about spending tax dollars on social program then teaching students (that is why I found the money to put my kids in private schools through 8th grade). They have the money to give away free food year round to students and their families, but not enough money to provide text books to every student! The school district is nothing but a social program that has nothing to do with education!
Not long at all.

47 years.

You aren’t going to find many that have lived here that long that will say Las Vegas is better now than it was 20, 30, 40 years ago.

Not long at all.

47 years.

You aren’t going to find many that have lived here that long that will say Las Vegas is better now than it was 20, 30, 40 years ago.
3rd generation here, but I have lived in multiple other states, as have both of my parents, and all of my grandparents. I came back after living elsewhere for nearly a decade and anxiously await the right opportunity to leave.

Even from when I was a kid in the 90s to now... significantly downhill.

That is about how long I have lived here, and I will agree Las Vegas was way better back then except when it comes to crime (LV had the #1 crime rate in the country back in the 80's) and schools (the schools have always sucked in LV). When we moved here as kids, we found the LV schools 2-3 years behind the schools we attended prior to moving here!

3rd generation here, but I have lived in multiple other states, as have both of my parents, and all of my grandparents. I came back after living elsewhere for nearly a decade and anxiously await the right opportunity to leave.

Even from when I was a kid in the 90s to now... significantly downhill.
Seems like nearly every place is more attractive.

I’m handcuffed by a few things, namely family and a gf who is born and raised and scared shitless to step outside of our zip code.

40, 30 years ago, no way I was leaving Vegas. Loved everything about it except the lack of seasons. Family here, UNLV was a monster, small town feel, everyone knew each other, maybe two or three degrees of separation, felt much safer ....

When my dad passes, the opportunity will be there to leave ... the job won’t be an issue, I can work anywhere. The Rebels aren’t keeping me here anymore, that extreme level of loyalty is gone. Pulling my GF away would be a major obstacle and I’ll always be with my kiddos. ..... So ...

I’ll probably dump a home here and just buy a second elsewhere. A getaway for an early retirement .... maybe Utah, maybe Idaho, maybe Colorado.... maybe Washington or Oregon ... would even consider colder like Wyoming or Minnesota ... somewhere that I can get seasons. I don’t want to go my entire life without fully enjoying some seasons, the first four years of my life in Chicago don’t count, I can’t remember them well enough.

When we moved here as kids, we found the LV schools 2-3 years behind the schools we attended prior to moving here!

Interestingly, I found as a 6th grader leaving LV to go to Idaho that I was way ahead. Not sure it is an indication of Idaho's systems or just the specific situation I left. But now? I would imagine it has gotten bad enough to stop that from happening almost anywhere with all but the top few percent of students.

And that's not me speaking down on teachers, just the way the system is run here and the types of folks that come into the district. Another problem to address another day!

I’m handcuffed by a few things, namely family and a gf who is born and raised and scared shitless to step outside of our zip code.

40, 30 years ago, no way I was leaving Vegas. Loved everything about it except the lack of seasons. Family here, UNLV was a monster, small town feel, everyone knew each other, maybe two or three degrees of separation, felt much safer ....

When my dad passes, the opportunity will be there to leave ... the job won’t be an issue, I can work anywhere. The Rebels aren’t keeping me here anymore, that extreme level of loyalty is gone. Pulling my GF away would be a major obstacle and I’ll always be with my kiddos. ..... So ...

I’ll probably dump a home here and just buy a second elsewhere. A getaway for an early retirement .... maybe Utah, maybe Idaho, maybe Colorado.... maybe Washington or Oregon ... would even consider colder like Wyoming or Minnesota ... somewhere that I can get seasons. I don’t want to go my entire life without fully enjoying some seasons, the first four years of my life in Chicago don’t count, I can’t remember them well enough.

I wish I had been here to enjoy this community before the massive change in culture. Funny you say that the GF is the big tie remaining. For me it's the opposite. She can't wait to go... not from here though. And she's a teacher... almost anywhere is better for her than here. My job is ultra specific and it exists in a lot of large communities, but one of those "doesn't open up often" types.

Idaho, Utah, Montana, Oregon, Washington... everything within one or two states of us with the exception of CA and AZ. Someday!

Not to get lost from the OP, but the train has left the station! Seems like Arroyo really understands how to connect with incoming players. Really seems the young players trust and respect him. Most of you know I was and am a Sanchez supporter, but the "hes just a high school coach" stink did seem to get in the way sometimes. I hope that guy lands on his feet!

I wish I had been here to enjoy this community before the massive change in culture. Funny you say that the GF is the big tie remaining. For me it's the opposite. She can't wait to go... not from here though. And she's a teacher... almost anywhere is better for her than here. My job is ultra specific and it exists in a lot of large communities, but one of those "doesn't open up often" types.

Idaho, Utah, Montana, Oregon, Washington... everything within one or two states of us with the exception of CA and AZ. Someday!

Not to get lost from the OP, but the train has left the station! Seems like Arroyo really understands how to connect with incoming players. Really seems the young players trust and respect him. Most of you know I was and am a Sanchez supporter, but the "hes just a high school coach" stink did seem to get in the way sometimes. I hope that guy lands on his feet!
I’m not worried about his recruiting, it’s been great. I’m worried about what sticks in the midst of all this turmoil and uncertainty.

I’m not worried about his recruiting, it’s been great. I’m worried about what sticks in the midst of all this turmoil and uncertainty.
Undeniable concern.

From basically every angle as UNLV looks at it. You and I as well as everyone else knows there are certain schools that will be fine no matter what. There are some schools you expect to be fine. Some others yet which are just unknown and uncertain. I'd like to think MWC schools are in group two. But really most are probably the last group I named.

Hopefully none are worse off...

I do hope most of his recruiting holds and that 2021 spring if we play, we are no worse than 4 wins. Whenever we play for the first year under a new coach, the joys of successful offseasons have crashed hard into realities during the season. Would love to see that end.

Interestingly, I found as a 6th grader leaving LV to go to Idaho that I was way ahead. Not sure it is an indication of Idaho's systems or just the specific situation I left. But now? I would imagine it has gotten bad enough to stop that from happening almost anywhere with all but the top few percent of students.

And that's not me speaking down on teachers, just the way the system is run here and the types of folks that come into the district. Another problem to address another day!
I went to private HS here (Gorman) and there was absolutely no comparison to public back then. Gorman crushed everywhere public.

I was public before then. I’m not romanticizing the past - but my 1st through 8th grade public vs nowadays ... wasn’t close. My GF has a 19 year old. How she made it through blows my mind. She wasn’t stupid, as lazy as they get. It’s been a constant battle because I have standards and expectations and even if I cut them 90%, she still limbos beneath. I’m talking 27% on math finals, tons of missing assignments, no testing was good on her end, majority less than 50%, drove me crazy. And this kid gets a Millennium Scholarship? GTFOH. I’ve been with them since she’s been six years old. Sat to do homework with her every night.... so very disappointing. She knew nothing.

But it’s considered decent by today’s standards, I guess. Or at least acceptable.

Undeniable concern.

From basically every angle as UNLV looks at it. You and I as well as everyone else knows there are certain schools that will be fine no matter what. There are some schools you expect to be fine. Some others yet which are just unknown and uncertain. I'd like to think MWC schools are in group two. But really most are probably the last group I named.

Hopefully none are worse off...

I do hope most of his recruiting holds and that 2021 spring if we play, we are no worse than 4 wins. Whenever we play for the first year under a new coach, the joys of successful offseasons have crashed hard into realities during the season. Would love to see that end.
I had 3.5 tabbed as O/U for year one with the in tact schedule. It’s gonna be tough early.

He was offered by Baylor as well. Rivals isn’t updated and tbh Toledo is a better football school than unlv. Memphis as a “probably” is a bit off too. We have great facilities now and the future is bright but we average four or less wins a season, in a low rated conference and haven’t had a player drafted in a very long time. This program isn’t much better than many nationally

Exactly.

Memphis has been in and out of the top 25 the last few years.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nickk10

CA has already moved HS FB to Spring 2021 (if it’s played at all). I hate to see these seniors miss out on their last HS season but I do wonder if this could end up being beneficial to UNLV recruiting. Here’s a CBS article about the CA recruiting class

https://www.cbssports.com/college-f...l-season-until-december-2020-or-january-2021/

Four seasons are great until you get buried in a ton of fking snow. Oh yeah. I made the move out of Vegas to enjoy the four seasons. As far as missing my UNLV teams I only wished I moved to a place within driving distance of an MWC opponent (Never fking reno). At least then I can go see them play every so often. Think about that when you start looking for greener pastures. If you are a Rebel fan in your heart you can never let go. Fck that idea of extreme loyalty and being able to move on. You are a Rebel and it will be with you until you die. You might think you can let go but believe me you can't. I'm going to die a Rebel.

Four seasons are great until you get buried in a ton of fking snow. Oh yeah. I made the move out of Vegas to enjoy the four seasons. As far as missing my UNLV teams I only wished I moved to a place within driving distance of an MWC opponent (Never fking reno). At least then I can go see them play every so often. Think about that when you start looking for greener pastures. If you are a Rebel fan in your heart you can never let go. Fck that idea of extreme loyalty and being able to move on. You are a Rebel and it will be with you until you die. You might think you can let go but believe me you can't. I'm going to die a Rebel.
Easier now than ever do stay loyal but be distant with the way technology is.

I really don’t want harsh winters. But I can deal with snow.

Plus, I’d stay close to Vegas. Getting back wouldn’t be an issue.

Being in Twin Falls, Boise is less than 2 hours drive. Every year when the conference schedules come out, the first thing I do is see when/if UNLV comes to town, then see what other games might be interesting. LV is 8 hours the other way, and that's not even pushing it. That's thru NV, with no interstate. It's a little longer thru UT, but mostly interstate and more services along the way and, if you slide off the road, someone will find you before spring. Winters here are never that bad - certainly worse over in Idaho Falls area to the east. If you bought a snow blower you might - might - use it 2-3 times a winter. Personally, a good shovel works fine for me.

Reactions: j. spilotro
Being in Twin Falls, Boise is less than 2 hours drive. Every year when the conference schedules come out, the first thing I do is see when/if UNLV comes to town

Utah St should only be a couple hours away from you also. The Rebels play in Boise once every four years and in Logan once every four years.

Utah St should only be a couple hours away from you also. The Rebels play in Boise once every four years and in Logan once every four years.
Really enjoyed the one time I went to a Rebels game in Logan (except for the beating we took). Cache Valley is beautiful in the Fall, and the people were super friendly. It's about 3 hours from TF.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT