ADVERTISEMENT

Hey Reb mascot

I like the idea of a coyote mascot. Of course it won't happen because of the fragile emotions of the people against change:smiley:

Reactions: rickyb55
people and their fragile emotions. Especially for things that happened hundred(s) of years ago.

https://news3lv.com/news/local/native-american-group-wants-hey-reb-statue-removed-from-unlv-campus
Lol.

“I’m offended!”

“Oh shit, you’re offended, we will change it then. Would you like to be called Mr., Mrs., Ms., him, her, it, other, miscellaneous, combined, alternate... please let me know. I’ll mark it down so the next time I see you I can thumb through and how it is that you specifically would like to be addressed”

Soft.

Participation trophies for all.

And toss in an emotional support stuffed panda to be handed out in a designated safe space.

So much for free thinking and higher education.

This sort of wimpification has been going on for so long now that you just can’t help but laugh at it. More and more are seeing how silly the cries actually are, thankfully. Keep making a spectacle of delicate sensibilities, it speeds up the process in which they finally burn out and go away.

Just curious. Are they removing the hey reb from the football uniforms? "the roid head" has been on the shoulder pads and one of the helmets. Just curious since apparently they are exclusively going to the UNLV arch.

I like the idea of a coyote mascot. Of course it won't happen because of the fragile emotions of the people against change:smiley:

Good lord.

I'm a pretty liberal guy but this Hey Reb thing is nonsense.

Redskins? Sure I get it.

Indians Chief Wahoo? Pretty bad.

Braves fans doing the tomahawk chop. Kinda bad.

Syracuse had the Saltine Warrior. (White dude dressed as a native American) Yep pretty racist.

But Hey Reb? It's an extremely far reach here.

He's a fictional character.

A statue of Custer? Yep take it down. Columbus? Sure, I get it. Andrew Jackson? Probably offensive to some people. I get it.

And to be clear, people on the right are just as guilty of falling into the outrage culture as people on the left.

I NEVER said I was offended, I just said I liked the idea of a coyote mascot. Let's be real here, the mascot is the least of the problems facing UNLV athletics.

Instead of the running rebels, we can be the loping coyotes.[winking]

Just curious, did the old western mountain men purposefully hunt down native Americans? At least any more than regular settlers?

That's where the point of contention seems to be. Not that it is a confederate Rebel, (because it's not) Because the image of a mountain man is offensive. I thought they mostly kept to themselves and hunted, perhaps mines rivers for gold, trapped animals for pelts, etc. Is it the hunting of animals that is offensive?

I NEVER said I was offended, I just said I liked the idea of a coyote mascot. Let's be real here, the mascot is the least of the problems facing UNLV athletics.

Instead of the running rebels, we can be the loping coyotes.[winking]

Gotcha.

My mistake.

He's gone from Confederate soldier to a symbol of Native American genocide in the last five years. Guys having a rough go right now and could use a good PR firm.

Just curious, did the old western mountain men purposefully hunt down native Americans? At least any more than regular settlers?

That's where the point of contention seems to be. Not that it is a confederate Rebel, (because it's not) Because the image of a mountain man is offensive. I thought they mostly kept to themselves and hunted, perhaps mines rivers for gold, trapped animals for pelts, etc. Is it the hunting of animals that is offensive?
I’m still offended that nearly all clouds are white.

people and their fragile emotions. Especially for things that happened hundred(s) of years ago.

https://news3lv.com/news/local/native-american-group-wants-hey-reb-statue-removed-from-unlv-campus

I get what you're saying.

I do not agree with the Hey Reb outrage.

But for Native Americans, it's not that it 'happened 100s of years ago'.

It's that it's a reminder of how certain events back then still have an impact on them today.

Hell there are folks still pissed in Ireland about things that happened hundreds of years ago.

I think the only rebel that the left may be good with is Che Guevara. Not because they know anything about him, but because he looks cool on a t-shirt. Of course, then the right would be offended, but that doesn't matter because only the left matters.

Jeez, I'm so sick of this garbage. Guess what, folks, no matter how much you remove reminders of history, what happened happened. Celebrate the good stuff and learn from the bad/distasteful stuff. And you'll always have distasteful stuff. Ignore or try to wipe the bad stuff from history and we're doomed to repeat it.

I think the only skin I may have a problem with is the thin variety.

This is a case of a half dozen triggered idiots that have decided that anything to do with the history of the US, cowboys, etc., all needs to be removed because a few people that haven't even finished school, or gotten a real job, are offended. Guess what? I am offended by ignorant people like them, and believe they need to be removed from UNLV.

This is a case of a half dozen triggered idiots that have decided that anything to do with the history of the US, cowboys, etc., all needs to be removed because a few people that haven't even finished school, or gotten a real job, are offended. Guess what? I am offended by ignorant people like them, and believe they need to be removed from UNLV.
Hear! Hear!

Reactions: j. spilotro
Actually, my preference would be to morph “hey reb” into a James Dean “rebel without a cause” except have him be a “rebel with a cause.” He could ride one of the new Harley Davidson electric motorcycles.

Can coyotes ride motorcycles?

Actually, my preference would be to morph “hey reb” into a James Dean “rebel without a cause” except have him be a “rebel with a cause.” He could ride one of the new Harley Davidson electric motorcycles.

Can coyotes ride motorcycles?
You’re contradicting yourself just to fit in again...

Stick to your original narrative of having UNR-envy. It fits you more appropriately.

A lot of subtexts here. I think coyotes are way more impressive than wolves. I cannot imagine who would have unr envy - not me.

Independent of all that, I still like the “rebel with a cause” mascot.

More importantly, regardless of the mascot it would very cool to win more games in revenue producing sports.

A lot of subtexts here. I think coyotes are way more impressive than wolves. I cannot imagine who would have unr envy - not me.

Independent of all that, I still like the “rebel with a cause” mascot.

More importantly, regardless of the mascot it would very cool to win more games in revenue producing sports.
“Rebel with a cause”... what has been rebellious in nature about UNLV? Only when Tark was here did that apply in any way. Since then, the university does everything it can to placate 6 people groups, they bow to weak demands; they’re anything but strong and rebellious.

Can we find 6 people who are offended by them being offended and cause a major dilemma at UNLV since they’ve shown they love to cave to the demands of a few people?

I mean seriously, somebody can be offended by anything and whine about it. So you change it? Where does it end is the point.

“Rebel with a cause”... what has been rebellious in nature about UNLV? Only when Tark was here did that apply in any way. Since then, the university does everything it can to placate 6 people groups, they bow to weak demands; they’re anything but strong and rebellious.
But the physics department is rebellious... against anything that may propel athletics since a physics lab isn’t met with the same passion as a sporting event.

I’m not going to rag on it too much, science is my thing through and through. And hands on labs are the best.
Still remember taking a Chem class in ‘87... I had a night lab that went from like 7p-9p one night a week. Being the die hard fan I am, I told the prof I couldn’t attend the labs on certain nights because of the basketball games. I simply wasn’t going to miss any games. If I had to drop the class, I would have. This was consistent through my scholastic career. Teachers let me test early if there was an exam and I did it that way.

But for my first chem class, the night time lab class... in one of our last classes, the teacher said I went to the game earlier this week, you didn’t get into the game. He thought I meant I wasn’t going to classes because I was on the team....

Reactions: RebelScrub
Hey Reb will be gone. Its not a matter of if, its a matter of when. I'm frankly surprised its lasted this long.

I'm not really interested in whether I, you or we think this issue has merit or not. I'm just interested in finding a replacement when it is required.

I wouldn't be averse to a coyote, but isn't a wolf cooler than a coyote? We don't need to give Sparks University any more ammo.

I always thought (going YEARS back) that the best mascot for us would be a shark. Interestingly, I had talked to some young UNLV graduates and when I pitched this they looked at me sideways and then I showed them our basketball floor - a shark fin! Imagine that! Jerry put us on the map and we've already had the shark as a mascot and it was far more popular than Hey Reb ever was. Playing devils advocate I can think of two argument against this choice:
1) the mascot is based on a person - Jerry Tarkanian. There is an element of risk that something we are unaware of is discovered in the future that damages the legacy.
2) remarkably, the Ole Miss Rebels have selected a shark - the Land Shark. When I heard they chose a land shark (whatever that is), I was like WOW. That just happened. So we would once again be locked together with the same name and a similar mascot.

My 2 cents. And they are very unpopular 2 cents. I know. I'm not taking the position that it should be changed - I'm taking the position that it WILL be changed.

The group doesn't seem all that interested in the mascot. What they wanted was attention and to get some classes added and they were getting no media or social media notice until they threw in the "and the statue with a cowboy hat is a micro aggression".

We can have our mascot as James Dean.
That’s genius. Well, I wanted to change our mascot to the unicorns but actually wearing a James Dean shirt that’s red and gray?

We can have our mascot as James Dean.
That’s genius. Well, I wanted to change our mascot to the unicorns but actually wearing a James Dean shirt that’s red and gray?
We should have the Shark mascot and the shark should be biting Hiker’s head off every time out

Reactions: bcvegaspt
We should have the Shark mascot and the shark should be biting Hiker’s head off every time out
With the program we are now ... disassociating from everything in the past isn’t a bad idea.

Rebrand, make it their own. Colors, name ... would even prefer something other than UNLV TBH, though that can’t be done.

Las Vegas State Hikers. We will be nice and never win but you can still enjoy a cozy time with 200 others.

With the program we are now ... disassociating from everything in the past isn’t a bad idea.

Rebrand, make it their own. Colors, name ... would even prefer something other than UNLV TBH, though that can’t be done.

Las Vegas State Hikers. We will be nice and never win but you can still enjoy a cozy time with 200 others.
Yeah with his shorts short jogging through campus then all of a sudden a SHARK jump up and bite his head off...his shorts fell off and reveal his vagina

Bulldoze the T&M and Mendenhall and share Cox with WBB and volleyball. You could make use of the land you freed up for performing arts and medicinal marijuana course studies.

Bulldoze the T&M and Mendenhall and share Cox with WBB and volleyball. You could make use of the land you freed up for performing arts and medicinal marijuana course studies.
Not yet. Until the dream of P5 is completely killed (I do think there will be one more seismic shift with P5 additions and realignments), you stay as is. Once it’s hammered home once and for all that we are a have not - you keep things. After that, yeah, you gotta downsize facilities and programs, imo. Add additional space to whatever museum there is for athletics and include photos, artifacts, banners, statues, etc, of the athletic past. And then continue on in a U San Fran sort of way.

Sounds ludicrous maybe, but it’s logical.

Reactions: Bullmastiff 1
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT