ADVERTISEMENT

Has there been a worse program?

WarthogRebel

Rebel Legend
Gold Member
Dec 31, 2006
Has there been a worse program since 1990?

Hard to tell without more work looking up stats than this team is worth.

A web site called winsipedia has our win percentage (.412 ) 5th from the bottom for teams with 200 games or more. But that includes all games we have played since we entered D1.

I think since 1990 we are probably the worst program in the country with a win percentage of .306. That is so bad it truly defies an explanation.

That's a lot of heartache for fans.

Just off of the top of my head, and I dont know if they have been better or worse than UNLV, but are historically really bad programs:

New Mexico St
Idaho
UTEP
Rice
and probably some MAC schools

Reactions: LocoRebel
The four below us for the entire length of their program are Wake Forest, New Mexico State, UTEP and Kent State.

All are around a .400 win rate for their history. But since 1990, we are way below that rate at .306.

The four below us for the entire length of their program are Wake Forest, New Mexico State, UTEP and Kent State.

All are around a .400 win rate for their history. But since 1990, we are way below that rate at .306.
It’s why there is never any expectation or built momentum. The most realistic thing a UNLV football fan can hope for is a “good” week. Not a good month, not a good season. It’s not a cursed program but we’ve gone the cheap, unproven route which is much higher risk and none of those have panned out. When we went with known and established, we had a bit of success.

If UNLV doesn’t find the cash reserves, the stadium won’t matter, who they bring in won’t matter. It will be more of the same. We have decades of data of what hasn’t worked, don’t keep walking that path.

I could handle the losing if we were in a Power 5 conference. At least Oregon St, Indiana, Wake Forest and the other perennial losers get to watch big time football in their stadiums and take roadies to big time football schools as well. Instead UNLV hosts Home Coming on a Friday night in front of a crowd of 10,000 against AFA.

Reactions: ricovegas
I could handle the losing if we were in a Power 5 conference. At least Oregon St, Indiana, Wake Forest and the other perennial losers get to watch big time football in their stadiums and take roadies to big time football schools as well. Instead UNLV hosts Home Coming on a Friday night in front of a crowd of 10,000 against AFA.
There weren’t that many.

But it’s just not anything new. I was excited for the season, hell, I traveled for the first time, I’m not wasting my time and money when I have a strong feeling our team is going to suck.... but now I’m not excited. And it’s not like it’s this tremendous drop that leaves you tossing and turning at night.

The same thing happens with hoops for me. We will be so so and we end up in the neighborhood... and then year before ... figured we’d suck but we sucked at such an unimaginable level that it was a historic suckiness... even that didn’t keep me awake at night.

For UNLV primary sports to leave me this much apathy... it sucks. I hate not feeling excitement and disappointment. I’d rather have high expectations, high potential and excitement, even if it’s clouded in doubt and have it fail leaving me hurting and disappointed than not expecting much and getting less and feeling nothing. Apathy is just ... it’s the biggest enemy.

There weren’t that many.

But it’s just not anything new. I was excited for the season, hell, I traveled for the first time, I’m not wasting my time and money when I have a strong feeling our team is going to suck.... but now I’m not excited. And it’s not like it’s this tremendous drop that leaves you tossing and turning at night.

The same thing happens with hoops for me. We will be so so and we end up in the neighborhood... and then year before ... figured we’d suck but we sucked at such an unimaginable level that it was a historic suckiness... even that didn’t keep me awake at night.

For UNLV primary sports to leave me this much apathy... it sucks. I hate not feeling excitement and disappointment. I’d rather have high expectations, high potential and excitement, even if it’s clouded in doubt and have it fail leaving me hurting and disappointed than not expecting much and getting less and feeling nothing. Apathy is just ... it’s the biggest enemy.
At least Dave Rice brought some of that for basketball even though he ultimately failed

I was all in on Dave Rice. I still like the guy, I just dont think he has the moxie or leadership skills to be a head coach.

The UNLV situation is tough, no doubt.

I was all in on Dave Rice. I still like the guy, I just dont think he has the moxie or leadership skills to be a head coach.

The UNLV situation is tough, no doubt.
Any big name can succed out here. EVEN a big name that has alot of miles. U just need the pedegre and drive and u can win here. These experiments we have tried are simply that a experiment that has failed time and time again.

Any big name can succed out here. EVEN a big name that has alot of miles. U just need the pedegre and drive and u can win here. These experiments we have tried are simply that a experiment that has failed time and time again.
You mean like Rollie?

Yeah, massively succeeded. Respected, NC’s.... flop.

But if you have the pedigree and drive, then you are not coming here to deal with BS.

These are problems that only NSHE can address at this point.

If the UNLV president were told that we better make a bowl game in the next 5 years, or you will be fired. We would make it in year two and every year after that.

John Robinson-Historic NFL and USC Coach with 4 Pac 10 titles and 1 national title

Mike Sanford-Top offensive coordinator for BCS busting coach Urban Meyer

Bobby Hauck-Dominant FCS Coach with 3 Championship berths in 10 years

Tony Sanchez-Coach of top high school in the country

But if you have the pedigree and drive, then you are not coming here to deal with BS.

These are problems that only NSHE can address at this point.

If the UNLV president were told that we better make a bowl game in the next 5 years, or you will be fired. We would make it in year two and every year after that.
It all comes back to money. UNLV doesn't have any. If the salary is in the bottom third of the country, the results will be, too. That's the way I see it.

Idk why homecoming is a thing in college
Kinda like class reunions, social media has rendered them virtually meaningless. My son and I each had h.s. reunions this past summer. His was so poorly attended that it turned into nothing more than a backyard barbecue. There were a couple hundred at mine and it was nice to see friends in person again, even though we may have been in touch on-line. The point was driven further home when one of my old hoops teammates was killed in a traffic accident a month later. Glad I'd gotten to see him.

Reactions: RebelScrub
It all comes back to money. UNLV doesn't have any. If the salary is in the bottom third of the country, the results will be, too. That's the way I see it.
You mean all those comments in the Sun, by our old friend Robert, about a dump truck load of cash that UNLV has to spend on a coach, but is lying about it to a gullible public, is nothing more than hogwash? Say it ain't so, Joe! :scream:

You mean all those comments in the Sun, by our old friend Robert, about a dump truck load of cash that UNLV has to spend on a coach, but is lying about it to a gullible public, is nothing more than hogwash? Say it ain't so, Joe! :scream:
Unless we have a low key T Boone that’s looking to remain anonymous.... it’s not there.

Yup.
When ya lose the best young OL coach the program has ever had because you could not match the offer of Florida Atlantic. that tells the whole story

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT