ADVERTISEMENT

has anything changed for Hauck over the years.

I wonder if any Montana fans are wishing they had Hauck back? The team made the playoffs all 7 years he was there. They played in the FCS Title game in 04,08 and 09 and the semi-finals in 06. In his last season(09), Montana was 14-1, with the lone loss being 23-21 to Villanova in the FCS Championship Game. Montana won or shared the Big Sky Title in every year Hauck was HC. His record at Montana was 80-17 overall, and 47-6 in the Big Sky. Montana was 5-2 against Montana State

Here is how Montana has fared since Hauck left for UNLV:

2010: 7-4/5-3 ... missed FCS playoffs for the first time since 1992 .... Lost to Montana State

2011: 11-3/7-1 ... advanced to FCS semi-finals ...... Both the Big Sky Title and Semi-Finals appearance were vacated in 2013 due to NCAA infractions committed by the HC at the time...The final 5 wins of the season were also forfeited, including the win over Montana State

2012: 5-6/3-5 .... 26 year streak of winning seasons was broken..... Lost to Montana State

2013: 10-3/6-2 .. Beat Montana State.... finished 3rd in Big Sky, and lost at home to Coastal Carolina in 1st round of FCS playoffs ...

2014: 4-2/2-0 Big Sky

Montana has lost 18 games in the last 4 years + 6 games of this year. They lost 17 games in 7 years under Hauck.... The loss total goes up to 23 when counting the 5 games forfeited in 2011

Montana won the Big Sky 1 time the past 4 years, and that title had to be forfeited
Montana has made the playoffs only 2 of the last 4 years, and the 2011 playoff appearance had to be vacated
Montana has 11 losses in the Big Sky since Hauck left.... total goes up to 13 when counting the forfeited wins over Weber State and MSU in 2011.... Lost only 6 Big Sky games in 7 years under Hauck

This post was edited on 10/5 10:41 PM by GoRebs!

We need to pray that Tina Kunzer-Murphy can find a way to turn the program around. I understand that a lot of people do not like her, but she was smart enough to know when she screwed up with the baseball coach and she found a way to get a better contract and come up with the money to keep him as coach. The amount of donations that the baseball program is getting is staggering compared to what baseball has been able to get in the way of donations prior to his being coach. The reason he has the local connections is that he is a local. It also appears that UNLV will be getting a major upgrade (in the millions) facilities from the Fertitta's due to the connections of coach Chambers. The cost of these new facilities would most likely be enough for the construction of an indoor practice facility for UNLV football. Coach Chambers who has bee local for his entire career took over UNLV baseball in 2011. A few years later and UNLV baseball goes from being a below average team to one that is consistently in the top 30 with numerous wins over top 25 programs.

Rich Ryerson went from being an assistant coach at UNLV to being the head coach in 2010 when he took over a program that was going to be cancelled and went out looking for sources of income from any place he could find the money. He even went as far as a fireworks booth to bring in badly needed cash. He was able to use his local connections to find several million dollars and move a program from one on the brink of extinction to one that has very recently been ranked in the top 25. They now play a very difficult schedule and have shown that they will be a future force to recon with. We now have a soccer program that many top level players want to play for, and other top programs desire to play against. UNLV now plays numerous games against top ranked team and knows they can win against anyone. This program in 4 years went from being in bad shape to being in great shape. This was in large part due to the hiring of a past UNLV players with local connections. UNLV soccer is currently 7-2-1 with a win over a top 10 ranked team, and are ranked first in the conference with a win on Sunday.
Maybe it is time that UNLV takes the chance and either goes after a coach with local connections or takes a big leap of faith and goes after a local high school coach like the one at Bishop Gorman (look what the connections of Chambers have done for the baseball program - multi millions in donations). Getting a coach from Bishop Gorman or similar high profile local coach could be a HUGE boost in regards to donations and connections to the movers and shakers in the Las Vegas valley. Coach Tony Sanchez at Bishop Gorman has a record of 56-4 since he took over as head coach in 2009. His past history has included taken over bad programs and turning them into winners which is what got him the job at Bishop Gorman. While he has limited coach experience at the college level, wouldn't it be worth the chance to see what he can do? He has great connections with the alumni at Bishop Gorman which could be a big time help in regards to getting donations in the same way that the Fertitta's help out the baseball program, he is a local which means he would have a much better chance of getting the higher caliber locals to play for UNLV, he is connected to the current players at Bishop Gorman which could help getting some of them to consider UNLV, nothing else has worked up to this point.

If anyone else has a better idea, please tell us. I can say that I would go as far as helping at a fireworks booth or anything else if it could turn around UNLV football. We need the passion, and passion is what locals would bring!

This is Vegas, sometimes it is time to take a chance and spin the wheel and see what happens.

A high school coach? Are you serious? Notre Dame tried that back in 1981 with Gerry Faust. He was a devout Catholic and long time fan of ND. He also had compiled a record of 174-17-2 at Cincinnati Moeller from 1963-80, with FIVE State Championships(75,76,77,79,80), and 4 Mythical NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIPS. Moeller was also State Semi-Finalists in 73 and 74. His teams were undefeated 7 times. They had 1 loss in 6 seasons.
From 73-77, Moeller had a record of 56-2, with both losses coming in the Semi-Finals of the playoffs. After missing the playoffs in 78 with a record of 9-1, Moeller won back-to-back Titles in 79 and 80, and went 25-0. That is 90-3 from 1973-80. From 72-79, there were only 3 divisions in Ohio, and only 4 teams made the playoffs, 1 from each region.
http://www.hsfdatabase.com/oh_moeller2000.htm

http://ohsaa.org/sports/ft/boys/AllTimeStateTournamentResults.pdf (All time playoff results for semi-final and state title games)

The playoff system started in 1972. The playoff teams are determined by a computer system, which rewarded teams for playing difficult schedules, and beating teams with winning records. The quality of High School Football in Ohio is light years ahead of high school football in Nevada. It is among the best in the entire country, along with Pennsylvania, Texas, Florida and California. At the time, there were 3 divisions (A,AA,AAA), with AAA being the big school division in which Moeller played. The state was split into 4 regions, and ONE team from each region made the playoffs per division. The playoff system has since expanded to 7 divisions, and 32 teams per division

http://www.maxpreps.com/news/6trP5t2zy0WYPX1S2zE7EQ/texas-tops-the-list-of-the-best-high-school-football-states-in-the-country.htm (Top 10 States for High School Football TEAMS)

At Notre Dame, Faust had a record of 30-26-1 from 81-85, with a 1-1 record in Bowl games. Notre Dame started the 1981 season ranked #4, and beat LSU 27-9. The Irish moved up to #1, and then lost the next game at Michigan 25-17. ND dropped to #14, and lost game 3 of the season at Purdue 15-14. ND was never ranked gain in 81, and went on to finish 5-6. In 1982, ND was ranked for the first 6 weeks, and started 4-1-1. They finished the season 7-4, including an embarrassing 30-17 loss at Air Force, with ND ranked #18. In 1983, ND started the season ranked #5. Why? Because they are Notre Dame. The Irish finished 7-5, lost to Air Force again(this time at home) and beat BC in the Liberty Bowl. In 1984, ND started the season #7. They lost to Air Force for the 3rd year in a row, once again at home. ND went to the Aloha Bowl and lost 27-20 to SMU, and finished 7-5. In 1985, ND lost again to Air Force. They finished 5-6, including 58-7 at Miami in the final game of the season. Pretty impressive to be HC at Notre Dame and lose to Air Force 4 years in a row. After Notre Dame, Faust was hired with much fan far by Akron, and subsequently ruined the entire program. He also ruined the mens basketball program, as Bob Huggins left Akron due to the University piling a bunch of money into football, at the expense of every other sport. The Sips basketball team had gone 22-8 in 85-86, and lost in the 1st round of the NCAA Tournament. In 86-87, they went 21-9 and played in the NIT. In 87-88, Akron went 18-9. In 88-89, Akron finished 21-8 and lost to OSU in 1st round of the NIT. But, the school was pouring bucket loads of money into football, while basically ignoring basketball, and Huggins decided to leave for Cincinnati. Also, Akron was a very good football program at D2, and then at 1AA/FCS from 81-85. But, they fired their successful HC to hire Faust, as Akron had dreams of going "big time" in football. The Zips went 43-53-3 under Faust from 86-94. They played at the 1A/FBS level from 88-94. Faust replaced Jim Dennison, who had a record of 80-62-2 with 9 winning seasons in 13 years at Akron. The Zips went 8-4 in 1985 and lost in the 1st round of the 1AA/FCS playoffs. It is a heck of an accomplishment to run one of the premiere college football programs into the ground, and then move on to another school and ruin both the football and basketball programs. LEARN FROM HISTORY!!!!

I understand your thinking of hiring a coach with local ties. But, hiring a High School HC with no college coaching experience is NOT going to work at an FBS program. And, with a losing team, the monetary donations you envision will NOT happen. Heck, if the issue is money, why not go way outside the box and hire Snoop Dogg as HC? He coached his son's Pee-Wee football team. More than that, he FOUNDED the league with $1 MILLION of his own money. He then invested another $300,000 into the league. He has 9 years of coaching experience, and there have been plenty of kids who played in the league Snoop founded who have gone on to play football in college on scholarships. Snoop has crap-loads of $$$$, and has friends with crap-loads of money. And, who knows, kids just might come to UNLV to play for Snoop. He can put on mini concerts at halftime, which ought to lead to sellout crowds at SBS. And, he can bring in Dr. Dre, Eminem, Jay-Z, Ice Cube, Common, LL Cool J, Wiz Kalifa, and others to perform on night Snoop wants to spend more time with the team during halftime. Snoop can hire a coaching staff of quality assistants, and simply be the figure head as HC. Money would DEFINITELY not be an issue anymore, nor would facilities. Come to think of it, I like this idea. UNLV can offer Snoop the job effective the end of this season, and his son can get a scholarship to play WR for The Rebs. Might be able to get a few other Gorman players to sign with UNLV. The more I think about it, the more I like this idea.

A high school coach? Are you serious?

Yes, I am serious! And all you can come up with is hiring Snoop Dogg as HC, and can't come up with even one half ass decent idea!

You obviously have just shown you really don't have a clue what you are talking about in regards to Bishop Gorman or high school football. You come back with teams from Ohio being light years ahead of the state of Nevada as a reason to act like I don't know what I am talking about. That light years ahead state has only 1 (ONE) team ranking in front of Bishop Gorman and that is by two positions. The only reason that 1 (ONE) program is ranked in front of Bishop Gorman is because they have one loss and play a much harder schedule than any team in the STATE of OHIO does. Bishop Gorman does not play a schedule of local teams and has consistently played top level schedules over the past few years that have continued to get harder under there current coach.

In regards to Ohio being light years ahead of Nevada that is not difficult considering Nevada has just under 3 million people and Ohio has almost 12 million people. Texas has a population of around 25 million and Florida has a population of almost 20 million and they are both light years ahead of the state of Ohio and both have more teams ranked in the top 25 then Ohio. In regards to the level of play in each state, it really doesn't matter since Bishop Gorman play a schedule that includes numerous teams from outside of the state of Nevada.

In regards to trying to compare Notre Dame hiring of Gerry Faust in 1981 to UNLV looking at a high school coach is apples to oranges. UNLV plays a bottom level schedule while Notre Dame traditionally plays a much more difficult schedule of top ranked teams (at least they did back in the 80's).

Art Briles was a high school coach who went on to become the running back coach for two years at Texas Tech (the Bishop Gorman coach already had two years as an assistant coach under his belt) prior to becoming head coach at Houston. A few years later he became head coach at Baylor and is currently one of the top coaches in the entire country. While coaches jumping directly from high school into college is rare, UNLV has spent the last 20 years attempting to bring in college coaches without any luck at all. UNLV is not a top level program and is not looking to be competitive with top 25 programs. UNLV is looking for a way to beat teams like New Mexico, Hawaii, San Jose, Air Force, etc. Attempting to think within the box has done nothing but erode away at what is left of the UNLV football program. In 30 years UNLV football has gone from average crowds of 30 thousand to a stadium that is typically more than half empty. In 30 years UNLV went from being a program that was the new kid on the block from the lower division that knocked off the big boys to being the team knocked off by lower division teams.

John Robinson showed that it was more than possible to quickly turn around the UNLV program in only a couple of years going to a bowl game and destroying Arkansas. Coach Robinson was able to parley his one year of success into a major expansion of the stadium press box and club seating area. The only reason he did not keep things going was due his wife having health problems as well as his own health problems from over extending himself as coach and athletic director.

In all of your rants and raves in regards to my idea being stupid, you have not come up with a single idea of you own. You sound like one of those idiots at the back of the room during a County Commission meeting that complains about every single project that people want to develop, but never comes up with a single projects of their own. Some people are really good at attempting to destroy other peoples ideas but never have the ability to bring any of there own to the table. Telling me that hiring a local high school coach will not work at an FBS program without any legitimate ideas of what should be done doesn't say much for you.

Hiring a high school coach directly into the college football ranks as a head coach, may or may not work, but it is better than anything UNLV has attempted recently.

Now, come up with some real ideas that go beyond trying to be the guy at the back of the County Commission meeting that everyone ignores.

Am I serous? I wasn't the one that has only one idea and that is to hire Snoop Dogg!

I believe 1986 has a legit point....Best idea I have heard so far. We do not have the cash to bring in a high profile big time college coach. Coaching is coaching and winning is winning. And, this concept would instantly upgrade our recruiting and local following....Could be a home run.

GoRebs!..now that was funny about hiring Snoop Dogg as the coach. I am still laughing at that one...it's good to ad some humor into this sometimes.

But, you might not be off too much with that idea. Hell most successful people in charge surround themselves with people that know what they are doing.

How about considering a FCS coach who came into a school and turned things around and was highly successful instead of a FCS coach who came into an established system and just kept in going forward.
No matter who coaches, the administration has to invest serious money in the system. Even Sanford said that when he left.
A high school coach who has all the resources at his disposal can do anything with a team, especially when he can recruit like most of the privates are doing.

While we're at it,maybe we can ask Suge Knight if He'd like to be a donor. Maybe retire his jersey, change it to death row Stadium..

It's worth a try...back in 1994 when he was on top of the game it was a no brainer

I like the idea of bringing Suge Knight back into the family. After all, the team is called the "Rebels". And, he has crap loads of money.

See, I'm going for the overall entertainment experience since this is Vegas. The football team may or may not improve, but UNLV would definitely have the "greatest show on turf". And, to hell with the NCAA and their stupid rules. If they want to put UNLV on probation for recruiting violations, after parties and anything else Snoop does to get players to UNLV and keep them here. WE won't need to go to a bowl game, because EVERY home game will be like a bowl game. Heck, for that matter, Snoop and the donors he brings in will pay for charter flights so fans can travel to away games. And, the night before at away games, there will be a huge pre-game party. There will also be an after party, win or lose.

I don't know how good the team will be in terms of wins and losses, but cannot get any worse than now. And, I'm sure there are plenty of talented kids who would love to come to Vegas to go to school, play football for UNLV and be able to party with Snoop, a whole host of other celebrities, plus the hottest girls and guys on the planet. Yes, I said guys, because there are football players who are gay. And, Snoop will be cool with that. He will just want the players to play hard, have fun and graduate. Yes, I did say graduate.

In a way, this will be like when Tark was coach, and the likes of Frank Sinatra, Sammy Davis Jr and others were regularly seen at UNLV basketball games. Instead of partying with "Freddie The Fixer", the players will party with Snoop, Jay-Z, Beyonce, J-Lo, Kei$ha, Eminem, Dre, Shakira, Nelly Furtado, Justin Timberlake...etc.

I was just curious when I had mentioned the BG HS coach as an option for UNLV, and that was back in mid October. I don't know if it is good or bad that TKM came up with the same idea.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT