ADVERTISEMENT

Good to have

I just watched the new Top Gun.

Everybody in the world has call signs.

likewise, players have nicknames.

UNLV is like a movie, you can’t have the same nickname as the greatest Rebel of all time.

Rebels in 80s-early 90s was just crazy. Celebrities. Ties to the Lakers. Tyson, Sugar Ray, countless others on the sidelines. It was more desirable to be seen at a UNLV game than at most any other sporting event anywhere. Folks outside Vegas, even young locals now, only think of the incredible teams but don’t realize what a scene the games actually were. Just crazy great memories.

Reactions: bcvegaspt
Oddly, 80-81 and 81-82 were the nadir of Tark's UNLV career. There was a feeling among many Rebel fans that Tark was a one-class wonder, which led to his first 4 years.
Then came the 3-year probation. Followed by 20-10 and 16-12 seasons.
I had many arguments with people about firing him. Even on in a graduate class.
Then came 82-83. Magic. 28-2 going into the NCAA playoff game with Valvano's miracle team.
Rebels led late, but Jimmy V's NC State team fouled again and again, taking advantage of the Rebels poor free throw shooting. Heartbreak.
After that, the train was back on the track.

Reactions: unlove
Dude, this dude. Can he be better than Marcus Banks from a local point of view:

Cotrell, I’m sorry but you have to live up to past local Rebels.

Freddie banks as a PG is underrated. He was actually pretty good in 1984.

Tark was a few free throws or one made shot from many more FF’s and probably a another championship or two. Given the bias of the NCAA & refs against the program it’s amazing he came so close so often.

Reactions: RebelScrub
When’s the last time you saw a famous celebrity?

I think I saw Greg Maddux long long time ago. He left the game early.

Off the top of your head, who were famous celebrities that you seen at a UNLV basketball game?

Off the top of your head, who were famous celebrities that you seen at a UNLV basketball game?
Darren Waller from the raiders was at a game this season.

Recently, none. Back in the day, tons. Of course Tyson and MC Hammer, Whoopie, Dr J, I think Mayweather (he’s tight with Marcus B), I know you love some Flav, but there have been a lot over the years.

Don’t know the last celeb … but was kind of weird seeing, within 30 seconds of each other but not together, Carrot Top and then OJ, who had two (stupid ass) blondes with him in downtown Summerlin. Figured Sicilian Neckties were coming next …

Talked to Flavor Flav at the game. Seen Chumlee and a few others.

My all time favorite was when, back in Bayno era, Pat Morita sang the national anthem (the most heartfelt rendition Ive heard) and then came over to the student section to give them some love. RIP Mr. Miyagi.

Talked to Flavor Flav at the game. Seen Chumlee and a few others.

My all time favorite was when, back in Bayno era, Pat Morita sang the national anthem (the most heartfelt rendition Ive heard) and then came over to the student section to give them some love. RIP Mr. Miyagi.
I wonder if Chumlee is still alive?

• Haha
Reactions: RebelScrub
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT