ADVERTISEMENT

Giovanni Fauolo could end up scapegoat in UNR brawl

unlv-nevada.jpg

It was a stupid move, but in my opinion at most he should be suspended for a game or two next season. The issue is more the fact that a unr player hit Oblad from behind to start the fight, and the fact that unr was derelict in protecting UNLV players from a drunk crowd that was throwing things at the players. Without question charges need to be placed against any fans that threw things at the players, and the person in charge of running the stadium and security need to be fired. This happens year after year against most teams that play at unr, and nothing is ever done, or will ever be done, until they feel a legal and financial impact for their actions.

It was a stupid move, but in my opinion at most he should be suspended for a game or two next season. The issue is more the fact that a unr player hit Oblad from behind to start the fight, and the fact that unr was derelict in protecting UNLV players from a drunk crowd that was throwing things at the players. Without question charges need to be placed against any fans that threw things at the players, and the person in charge of running the stadium and security need to be fired. This happens year after year against most teams that play at unr, and nothing is ever done, or will ever be done, until they feel a legal and financial impact for their actions.
Sorry, I disagree about a two game suspension. Swinging your helmet at fans can’t happen in this situation. A full season suspension should be the minimum. This is unacceptable on all levels.

Hell, the whole front row was reaching over grabbing helmets, hats, pulling hair, he just acted like a lion tamer whose lions are out of control....back, back, stay back!
That was survival mode 1-2 game tops, plus cops were slow as was security they already yanked off the helmet Jackson Reynolds helmet.

based on your belief that he should be suspended for a season, then you would be OK with cancelling unr football for a year? They knew this was going to happen, happens every time UNLV plays there, and almost every time any other team beats unr in Reno, and they did absolutely nothing to protect the players.

I haven't found any video yet of him actually swinging the helmet, but the still photo above shows an angle where he only could have been "swinging" at their hands that were swiping at his teammates and ripping helmets off of players.

There were a lot of media cameras there so they should gather up that footage to review. What is online is only fans' footage and the broadcast feet.

If the swipe was just shooing hands away then it's not so serious. If it was directed at someone's head then that would be serious. But the still above is not showing any heads in the path of the helmet.

there will be suspensions handed out. It was bad the fans throwing trash and snow at our players coaches Sanchez and polian trying to get the players to each locker room

it seems odd that that the Reno security guard appears to be pointing someone out , almost like there is more to the story then just a players swinging his helmet, but hey the Reno beat writer in his article also described the starting point as Austin Arnold appeared to “push” Oblad, and tried to play up the Oblad provoked him.

Reactions: bcvegaspt
it seems odd that that the Reno security guard appears to be pointing someone out , almost like there is more to the story then just a players swinging his helmet, but hey the Reno beat writer in his article also described the starting point as Austin Arnold appeared to “push” Oblad, and tried to play up the Oblad provoked him.
It’s Reno. These fights always happen up there. Security knows it’s going to happen, UNR knows it’s going to happen. They’re really basic Neanderthals.

I didn’t view this as the huge deal people are making it out to be. I thought it’s been worse in the past, not that any of them are “acceptable”. I think throwing dangerous objects (snowballs and cupped beer aren’t dangerous, but batteries and glass beer bottles and helmets are) should be frowned upon heavily, but there really is a difference.

Emotions high, always are. I wouldn’t be surprised if there was some provocation from UNLV players. Not surprised there’d be some from UNR players either. This stuff is bound to happen, only extra thick security (security that is actually willing to put a stop to it, I’ve been to Reno where “security” is actually smiling bystanders) and penalties/charges handed out to offenders.

That’s why this isn’t a good “rivalry”. Disdain and dislike, as negative as they are, can be dealt with a modicum of civility and dare I say respect. That doesn’t happen in this series. It’s straight venom and pure hatred and I’ll be honest, it’s steeped so much heavily from the school up north towards UNLV. Probably because so many UNR students are misguided and confused, self loathing Las Vegans looking for some sort of perverse bond.

We really shouldn’t be in the same conference with them. I don’t think we will be. Little brother syndrome will manifest itself in a real way sooner than later. They’ve chased us around for years hoping to be in our conference, it really is a Napoleon complex which makes sense since Ault at 5 foot 1 spearheaded all this.

If UNLV and UNR are in the same conference in 5 years, I’d be surprised. And when we aren’t, I hope we aren’t forced to play one another.

I think it’s funny that a lot of the Reno fans yelling and mixing it up in the front row are 40 plus. If you’re 40 and trying to rip off a college kids helmet, you’re a loser. Reno never fails to deliver on the stereotype.

Reactions: LocoRebel
It’s Reno. These fights always happen up there. Security knows it’s going to happen, UNR knows it’s going to happen. They’re really basic Neanderthals.

I didn’t view this as the huge deal people are making it out to be. I thought it’s been worse in the past, not that any of them are “acceptable”. I think throwing dangerous objects (snowballs and cupped beer aren’t dangerous, but batteries and glass beer bottles and helmets are) should be frowned upon heavily, but there really is a difference.

Emotions high, always are. I wouldn’t be surprised if there was some provocation from UNLV players. Not surprised there’d be some from UNR players either. This stuff is bound to happen, only extra thick security (security that is actually willing to put a stop to it, I’ve been to Reno where “security” is actually smiling bystanders) and penalties/charges handed out to offenders.

That’s why this isn’t a good “rivalry”. Disdain and dislike, as negative as they are, can be dealt with a modicum of civility and dare I say respect. That doesn’t happen in this series. It’s straight venom and pure hatred and I’ll be honest, it’s steeped so much heavily from the school up north towards UNLV. Probably because so many UNR students are misguided and confused, self loathing Las Vegans looking for some sort of perverse bond.

We really shouldn’t be in the same conference with them. I don’t think we will be. Little brother syndrome will manifest itself in a real way sooner than later. They’ve chased us around for years hoping to be in our conference, it really is a Napoleon complex which makes sense since Ault at 5 foot 1 spearheaded all this.

If UNLV and UNR are in the same conference in 5 years, I’d be surprised. And when we aren’t, I hope we aren’t forced to play one another.
We threw them a bone and got them into the MWC when their conference was crumbling around them and this is their “appreciation” to us.

I’d rather you just say Thank You and be on your way...

based on your belief that he should be suspended for a season, then you would be OK with cancelling unr football for a year? They knew this was going to happen, happens every time UNLV plays there, and almost every time any other team beats unr in Reno, and they did absolutely nothing to protect the players.
They were ushering fans to that end of stands at the end of regulation... 3/4 of those fans were basically sent to that endzone to be a distraction for UNLV. They not only don't do anything to protect opposing players, they practically promoted what happened here this time...

Reactions: LocoRebel
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT