ADVERTISEMENT

Game Thread

Rebel Netters we just played top 25 team coached by a complete ex NFL staff we went toe to toe for a half lead twice at one point. The kids were flying around making plays on offense and defense I was glued to the TV. Text messages were coming in from friends and supporters I got caught dreaming of visions of upset.
I think we knocked out 2 of their RBs then they knocked out our Qb and unfortunately our backup is a bust and the drop-off was immediate and measurable. It was like watching your favorite boxer go up in weight class hang with the champ stagger him a couple times then BOOM one big punch fight is over.
Anyway so much for metaphors we got Iowa State coming in doesn't get any easier. The kids got heart DB and hopefully Tate can give the guys a leader that they believe in to elevate their play to compete the rest of the season.
It’s Tate Time if you ask me!!

Unlv has a lot more to lose if he does stay on. I hope some of the donors recognize this.
Donors? Which donors? Have the Rebels had any major donations since those for the practice facility?

As far as I can tell the program is mainly staying solvent thanks to the $3M/year compensation for giving up Boyd Stadium, and the first five (of ten total) years of that are tied up in salaries for Arroyo and staff. Arroyo will get minimum four seasons.

It’s Tate Time if you ask me!!
During the broadcast the announcer said Tate told them that he was having a hard time recovering from the thumb surgery. He has just been cleared for a week .Maybe just maybe the coaches know that and is why he's not playing yet. As bad as Rogers is he was probably the only option.

Reactions: RebelScrub

No apathy here. Not interested in turning over coaches every 2 years .

Every 2 years???

I’m not saying CMA should be fired but I hate seeing people repeatedly using this false statement. UNLV has NEVER fired a coach in 2 or 3 years. In fact by giving him 5+ years we would be doing the exact same thing we have done for the last 30 years. Is it working? At some point maybe we should at least consider a different approach. We have this precedent now where no matter how terrible a coach is they can’t be fired until we give them 5 years. Even after 5 years a large portion of our fan base will still say we need to give that coach even more time.

Again, I’m not over here screaming fire Arroyo. But I am saying if he starts off 0-18 and goes 2 years without a win I think it is something that should be considered and looked at by our new AD.

Every 2 years???

I’m not saying CMA should be fired but I hate seeing people repeatedly using this false statement. UNLV has NEVER fired a coach in 2 or 3 years. In fact by giving him 5+ years we would be doing the exact same thing we have done for the last 30 years. Is it working? At some point maybe we should at least consider a different approach. We have this precedent now where no matter how terrible a coach is they can’t be fired until we give them 5 years. Even after 5 years a large portion of our fan base will still say we need to give that coach even more time.

Again, I’m not over here screaming fire Arroyo. But I am saying if he starts off 0-18 and goes 2 years without a win I think it is something that should be considered and looked at by our new AD.
I did not state that this is our current trend.

I meant that we cannot start a trend of doing this now.

While firing a coach who is winless in the first two years would seem justified, what kind of message would that send the next prospective coach and the rest of CFB world?

We hired a guy to turn around a program that has never done anything but lose. Now all of a sudden, our program’s expectations have been raised to a level where we are talking about firing a coach after his 8th game?

Crazy talk. Get out of here with this BS.

I like Brumfield a lot, defense played much better, however when your offense gets 3 and out the whole second half they got worn down, UNLV is going to win some MWC games, the conference is garbage .

Hoping for over 50K on Saturday with 3rd deck open, I assume record crowd for UNLV at home.

DRF gave Arroyo a 5-year $7.7M contract with no performance conditions. With Arroyo's $1.5 million salary and an assistant salary pool of at $1.89M the Rebels were paying over $3.4M in coaching salaries last season (https://nevadasportsnet.com/news/re...-into-its-football-coaching-staff-than-nevada) and are in that same ballpark this season.

DRF (so UNLV) bet the whole wad on Arroyo as her "splash hire from Oregon", despite the belief of many that he had already fallen out of favor in Oregon after two seasons as offensive coordinator. Would he have accepted the UNLV job if it was more incentive based? Probably, but we'll never know.

Reactions: s89103
DRF gave Arroyo a 5-year $7.7M contract with no performance conditions. With Arroyo's $1.5 million salary and an assistant salary pool of at $1.89M the Rebels were paying over $3.4M in coaching salaries last season (https://nevadasportsnet.com/news/re...-into-its-football-coaching-staff-than-nevada) and are in that same ballpark this season.

DRF (so UNLV) bet the whole wad on Arroyo as her "splash hire from Oregon", despite the belief of many that he had already fallen out of favor in Oregon after two seasons as offensive coordinator. Would he have accepted the UNLV job if it was more incentive based? Probably, but we'll never know.
DRF is was horrible, she at Missouri now, and football team will be 10-12 best team once Oklahoma and Texas get in, then she make a garbage hire for the and get fired. I have no clue why they hired her, if you look what she did at UNLV, she stunk on her hires, and in SEC is about Football winning.
Arroyo recruiting class is suppose to be good, however it takes time, next year and year 4, I expect results in MWC, I am talking over 500, the conference smells like the Las Vegas Wash back in the 70-80's you get that nice wif of it at the Silver Bowl.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT