ADVERTISEMENT

Fresno State, UNR and SDSU

j. spilotro

Publisher
Staff
May 29, 2001
Las Vegas
unlv.rivals.com
all humiliated UNLV over the past four games with a tight loss at UNM.

First off, losing sucks. But we are talking 25+ point losses? Road, home... it doesn't matter? I know some are "ok" with that because of the crutch excuse from a couple years ago. I don't know HOW people can be so ok with getting completely dismantled and annihilated. Ok for it might not be the right words, but that they are able to rationalize it, that they understood it, that they foresaw this....

Yeah, we can't shoot. But we score alot of points and when the PG is in the game, except for most crunch times, the offense looks good and scores plenty. Not being a good shooting team has taken the blame for a lot of losses. That's bs, IMO.

This team is the worst defensive team I've ever seen at UNLV. If you beat a guard with one dribble from 20 feet away, you score, either with a wide open, uncontested layup or a half hearted contested layup... or a kick out to a man whose defender reacted 2 seconds to late on help.

Offense is hard. It's timing, it's reads, it's instinct, it's technique, it's intricate. Defense is easy in that regard. The fundamentals are easy, the scheme behind it is simple (unless you play a complicated zone)... it's all about effort and it's all about the coaching demanding that effort. We are seeing such bad defense.... it blows my mind. And it's not just one guy making it weak. It's weak across the board.

Oh well. On to USU. They just gave SJSU their first win of the season so it shouldn't be too difficult to break this streak even though it might be because we decide to make it difficult, as always.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.