ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL IS BACK

Very excited to have Rebel football back! I’ll be a little bummed if they don’t allow any fans this year though. Hopefully Sisolak gets his head out of his a$$ and allows at least something like 15%-25% of capacity.

Reactions: studed and 220reb
If they let local jurisdictions determine whether or not fans are allowed, there will likely be some that do and some that don't. Decidedly unfair to the teams that don't but, hey, this year is a mulligan anyway. It gives all those new staffs a chance to implement and evaluate with "live fire." That said, I can't wait for 3-5 UNM vs 2-6 UTEP in the New Mexico Bowl before a capacity crowd of 9,800!

Reactions: Bullmastiff 1
If they let local jurisdictions determine whether or not fans are allowed, there will likely be some that do and some that don't. Decidedly unfair to the teams that don't but, hey, this year is a mulligan anyway. It gives all those new staffs a chance to implement and evaluate with "live fire." That said, I can't wait for 3-5 UNM vs 2-6 UTEP in the New Mexico Bowl before a capacity crowd of 9,800!

The first thing my wife said when The PAC announced theyd play, "But we wont be able to go to games". As you say this year is a mulligan, at this point Im more than happy to watch on TV, there will be plenty of games to go to next season.

Reactions: LocoRebel
Last game I saw live was UNLV @BSU a couple years back. Reminded me how miserable the weather can be. After a trip to the grocery store, I'm just fine in the recliner!

Reactions: LocoRebel
Today's release:
https://themw.com/news/2020/9/25/2020-mountain-west-football-season-to-begin-on-october-24.aspx

While it doesn't specifically address fans, you have to assume from this statement that they're allowing limited attendance:

"Stadium capacities will be determined by each member institution in accordance with state, county and local health ordinances in consultation with government officials. A complete 2020 Mountain West football schedule will be forthcoming."

Last game I saw live was UNLV @BSU a couple years back. Reminded me how miserable the weather can be. After a trip to the grocery store, I'm just fine in the recliner!

Last game I saw live was the Rose Bowl in Jan, weather was great :). This season I would have already been to Wisconsin vs Indiana and to Eugene for Ohio St the first two weeks of the season. I love the actual game but for me from arrival on Friday to some college town, hitting bars with both home and visiting fans, up until kickoff on Sat, (so including tailgating) is the best part of a CFB weekend. The game is secondary,

Reactions: rebneck
I thought it was pure evil to build UNLV a badass stadium like that ...make us wait 3 years as we watched it being built...anxiously awaiting.......and then to tell us we were going to have to wait another year... that was messed up. but thank goodness we will soon see our Rebs take the field. YAY great news !!

Last game I saw live was the Rose Bowl in Jan, weather was great :). This season I would have already been to Wisconsin vs Indiana and to Eugene for Ohio St the first two weeks of the season. I love the actual game but for me from arrival on Friday to some college town, hitting bars with both home and visiting fans, up until kickoff on Sat, (so including tailgating) is the best part of a CFB weekend. The game is secondary,

Preach!

I doubt Sissysack is gunna allow fans. But, we'll see. This world has filled itself with Karen's, so how many would show up anyway?

Sisolak is holding a press conference next week and he’s supposed to announce that he’s relaxing the current restrictions on gathering sizes. I’m hopeful they’ll be relaxed enough so that UNLV can have limited fans. I don’t know about all the Karen’s out there but I’ll make a trip down there to see the Rebels play at Allegiant.

Reactions: rebel Homer
Sisolak is holding a press conference next week and he’s supposed to announce that he’s relaxing the current restrictions on gathering sizes. I’m hopeful they’ll be relaxed enough so that UNLV can have limited fans. I don’t know about all the Karen’s out there but I’ll make a trip down there to see the Rebels play at Allegiant.
Increase to 250 person capacity

SEC is allowing 20%-25% capacity depending on location. It averages out to @ 14,000 per game. I've read that most schools are giving students the majority of the tickets.

Watching the Auburn game - it appears they actually REMOVED seats from the stadium to force social distancing. The were some sets of 4 seats followed by a six foot gap and the additional sets of two seats followed by more gaps. See the video in the article posted below.

UNLV could space fans out 6 seats apart and the upper deck would still be empty
Increase to 250 person capacity

Now the LVRJ headlines front page reads today .."556 new Covid cases. 9 new deaths. Worse Covid numbers in over a month". (which is funny because we never got the "best numbers in a month" news report ?? We only get the bad news or the narrative they want to push. They've been pushing free testing everywhere all thru-out the valley this last week even if you don't have symptoms. Of coarse we are going to have more new cases if more people are tested. I could care less if people test positive. I personally know about 8 people who tested positive and 7 of them were NEVER sick AT ALL !!. I will say, unfortunately, I did have a good friend of mine who I've known for 15 years actually die from Covid-19. He was 70 years old and did have some recent other health problems, but it was the double pneumonia and corona that killed him. It shook me up for a minute and it made it a lot scarier and real, until I put it into perspective and realized that I had two friends of mine die the year before from a bad flu and pneumonia (same thing-just not corona) My conclusion was, people are definitely mortal, life is precious, especially if you are a senior citizen and have diabetes, heart disease, cancer....ect.

I think they should OPEN UP EVERYTHING. If hospitalizations start going up, than put restrictions back in place. Wasn't that the whole idea of the lockdowns in the first place ? the original thing was we had to lockdown and do these extreme measures in case the hospitals couldn't keep up?? It made sense back then, now it doesn't. Hospitals are empty. Yet we still have all these insane tyrannical communist restrictions !! I'm going to guess after the headlines today... Sisolak will not ease the restrictions that he planned on.

Last edited:
My coworker’s wife tested positive and she works as a clerk in north Las Vegas court.

this thing is still contagious.

Trump had more then a few rallies and yet not a peep about a virus cluster from all the people who attended, most who seem to not wear a mask. Raise your hand if Sisogag gets another term. The tyrant has all but dug his own grave

Reactions: Rebel Hoya
My coworker’s wife tested positive and she works as a clerk in north Las Vegas court.

this thing is still contagious.
I don’t think it’s ever not been contagious.

Hospitalizations and deaths are way down.

If you aren’t hospitalized, you handle it at home ... is it a huge deal? If you know you are sick, stay in, don’t spread. If you are asymptomatic but positive, you won’t know, because you don’t feel sick so you won’t get tested ... and if asymptomatics don’t spread (I can’t remember which cycle of the multi-flip, multi-flop Fauci and the CDC are currently on) ...

It’s a virus. It’s doing what viruses have done from the beginning of time. Short of a vaccine, it will keep doing what it does, masks, lockdowns, distancing .... they delay the inevitable (until a viable vaccine). Viruses run their course through the host population ...

I know people that were sent home from the hospital to "handle at home" that died within a few days. Even tho the docs have learned a lot about treating the virus, there is much they have no idea. This longhaulers that seems to come after the virus is very scary, as it seems to affect many organs including the heart and vascular system. I have never heard of a virus causing things like that.

Every single year we get hit with influenza which has been far more dangerous to every single population group with the exception of the elderly, with the majority of those people have other underlying medical issues.

UNLV could space fans out 6 seats apart and the upper deck would still be empty

Now the LVRJ headlines front page reads today .."556 new Covid cases. 9 new deaths. Worse Covid numbers in over a month". (which is funny because we never got the "best numbers in a month" news report ?? We only get the bad news or the narrative they want to push. They've been pushing free testing everywhere all thru-out the valley this last week even if you don't have symptoms. Of coarse we are going to have more new cases if more people are tested. I could care less if people test positive. I personally know about 8 people who tested positive and 7 of them were NEVER sick AT ALL !!. I will say, unfortunately, I did have a good friend of mine who I've known for 15 years actually die from Covid-19. He was 70 years old and did have some recent other health problems, but it was the double pneumonia and corona that killed him. It shook me up for a minute and it made it a lot scarier and real, until I put it into perspective and realized that I had two friends of mine die the year before from a bad flu and pneumonia (same thing-just not corona) My conclusion was, people are definitely mortal, life is precious, especially if you are a senior citizen and have diabetes, heart disease, cancer....ect.

I think they should OPEN UP EVERYTHING. If hospitalizations start going up, than put restrictions back in place. Wasn't that the whole idea of the lockdowns in the first place ? the original thing was we had to lockdown and do these extreme measures in case the hospitals couldn't keep up?? It made sense back then, now it doesn't. Hospitals are empty. Yet we still have all these insane tyrannical communist restrictions !! I'm going to guess after the headlines today... Sisolak will not ease the restrictions that he planned on.

I agree with rebelwithacause. The initial shut down was to "flatten the curve" so that the hospitals wouldn't get overrun. The Convention Center was converted to a hospital for the overflow of patients and it was never used. Hospitals went way down in numbers initially then increased dramatically once everything began to open back up (because people that needed to go to the hospital for any reason had been avoiding hospitals and then they all went in a short period). I was recently talking to an ER doctor that told me that hospitals are at normal capacity and he sees very few Covid-19 patients. "EVERYTHING SHOULD OPEN UP." We're not trying to prevent everyone from getting Covid-19, that is impossible. We just needed to slow it down which we have done. Health care providers are much better at treating it now. Games and concerts should have fans and Cirque shows should open up but it's just not happening. So frustrating.

Every single year we get hit with influenza which has been far more dangerous to every single population group with the exception of the elderly, with the majority of those people have other underlying medical issues.
We’ve yet to see that in our hospital system to any degree. And things of that nature do exist with other virus. I hope we put influenza under the same microscope as covid, you’ll see a lot more things revealed with influenza than we think.

The metrics keep on changing with this thing ...

This is in response to tk.

Governors who open up have faced merciless press criticism (Georgia, Florida, Texas) while Governors who have kept a tight lid have seen mostly press praise (New York, New Jersey, California).

Governors are political animals and they mostly check which way the media wind is blowing before they commit to any decision. Our Gov. is just like the rest.

Governors who open up have faced merciless press criticism (Georgia, Florida, Texas) while Governors who have kept a tight lid have seen mostly press praise (New York, New Jersey, California).

Governors are political animals and they mostly check which way the media wind is blowing before they commit to any decision. Our Gov. is just like the rest.
It certainly can make or break a career, too. If the FLA Gov is “right” with something like this, going against the grain, it doesn’t matter if he’s good or shitty at the job, he’s going to become a rising star, no? Conversely, go ahead and spiral out of control ... there will be a fall from Grace.

The sickest part is I’m sure some are hoping the death toll jumps in FLA so they can “be right”. It’s a sick world. Just like Bill Maher hoping for an economy crash. Sick people out there. Being right is more important than a string of positives.

Just spent some time searching the news and opponent forums to see what programs are considering fans. It looks like the only one talking openly about allowing fans as of now is Wyoming - allowing 11,000 fans. Boise has some discussion but it will be up to the County Health Department and few believe they O.K. fan attendance. No news on the rest.

Surprisingly there was some discussion on the Wyoming board about a number of their players "opting out". Rumor concerning Air Force is up to 40 players will opt out.

"Citing multiple sources, The Colorado Springs Gazette reported this weekend that as many as 40 Air Force football players have applied for administrative “turn-backs,” a policy created to give students facing personal hardship an opportunity to separate from a service academy for a semester. "

Strange times.

Reactions: RebelMan5000
Just spent some time searching the news and opponent forums to see what programs are considering fans. It looks like the only one talking openly about allowing fans as of now is Wyoming - allowing 11,000 fans. Boise has some discussion but it will be up to the County Health Department and few believe they O.K. fan attendance. No news on the rest.

Surprisingly there was some discussion on the Wyoming board about a number of their players "opting out". Rumor concerning Air Force is up to 40 players will opt out.

"Citing multiple sources, The Colorado Springs Gazette reported this weekend that as many as 40 Air Force football players have applied for administrative “turn-backs,” a policy created to give students facing personal hardship an opportunity to separate from a service academy for a semester. "

Strange times.
So will AFA field a team at all? Is this going to be like that SJSU hoops team 30 some years ago with 10 Walkons?

Why would anyone in the Air Force opt out? They have a certain number of years, they graduate, and they go into the Air Force. They will not keep them in school for another year.

Why would anyone in the Air Force opt out? They have a certain number of years, they graduate, and they go into the Air Force. They will not keep them in school for another year.

looking at this from a post above, it appears that this would be a special circumstance under the "personal hardship" policy. If what is written above is correct it looks like they leave leave or "separate" from the academy for a few months. Also as far as I know AFA does grant medical redshirts so not everyone only gets 4 years at AFA, some get 5 regardless of if they are on track to graduate in 4 years, which I think is different at Navy where if a player in on track to graduate in 4 years they dont give a 5 year for medical reasons.

Maybe that is true. I know for the Army you are finished at 4 years whether you get injured or not because you either graduate with the class or in most cases get kicked out.

Sisolak talking now. Sounds like limited fans is possible. 250 max PER section.

I heard the 250 max per section, but I also heard him say 10% of total capacity for the venue. Allegiant holds 65,000 so that would be 6,500 total with 250 people in 26 sections.

Is it worth the expense of opening for 6500 people?

It depends. Will they give the tickets to season ticket holders or students? I think the Athletic Department could make some money if they offer them to ticket holders in order of price paid. They won’t make anything in concessions or tickets if they give them to students but is it fair to exclude them.

At 10% that place will seem empty as hell with only 6,500 people. Social distancing shouldn’t be a problem.

At 10% that place will seem empty as hell with only 6,500 people. Social distancing shouldn’t be a problem.

That is the problem with playing in that stadium. 25,000 is a very good crowd for UNLV and that leaves almost 2/3 of the stadium empty. Many games wil have less than 20k so even more empty seats. UNLV needs a 35,000 seat college football stadium, not an NFL stadium with no one in it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT