ADVERTISEMENT

Football expectations and some thoughts

j. spilotro

Publisher
Staff
May 29, 2001
Las Vegas
unlv.rivals.com
Some expectations … I won’t get too specific though.

…. Overall …. An increase in speed and depth, offensively and defensively. Team will be better but the schedule is tougher. Aside from kicking (loss of Pizano is huge), UNLV improved talent and depth across the board. Overall versatility (more looks/options) are wide and varied.

…. UNLV will have a better running game than last season. We did lose Davis, Lester and Reese, still have a young Jet, obviously. Burrell is going to be good, really good, still young … there are a couple of others and UNLV won’t lose a step. Will also see some DeJesus back there like we did last game of last season. I think DeJesus will be a major key and they’ll look to get the ball to him as much as possible in space … and this is where the functionality of a the offense (creating opportunities for skill players) will shine.

…. Receiving corps will again be strong. Obviously there’s White, but others. UNLV didn’t lose a lot here and made some big gains. Some young players that are good enough to get time. Defenses are going to be in a tough spot. They’re not going to be able to double White often. Kaleo will have a breakout year, imo. He showed he has the hands last year and he’s a huge target. I think he will play a far more integral role.

Quarterback is the lingering question. I suspect we may see a game day decision with the coaches already knowing, the team probably knowing. With a big first game at Houston, I suspect UNLV will want Houston to prepare for both instead of focusing on one. I think we have a dynamic quarterback with higher risk/higher reward situation (Sluka) vs a steady option (Hajj). Both can run, Sluka is a better runner. But Hajj may make better decisions. I honestly don’t know who will start or finish the season (even without injury), I think both are suited for the offense well in different ways. Friel won’t be in the equation unless injuries imo; he’s a more traditional drop back passer. Overall … I think the offense will improve on the 32 or 34 points of last season and will be a joy to watch and they’ll be in every single game. We will think we have a chance to score on every series minus getting the ball on our own 10 yard line with 45 seconds remaining before half (or milking out a won game).

There were times the defense was feast or famine last season, more famine, especially in the secondary. The edges will be strong, expect to see UNLV will more pressure on the QB. They’ll get some sacks. You might see linebackers on the line, sometimes drop back to a traditional spot.

The secondary is deep and talented. They really hit the portal heavily and got some quality and depth. An injury (and they’ve happened to people like Baldwin and Catalon in their career) should be absorbed sufficiently.

Both the Dline and Oline are actual strengths for a change. Keep fingers crossed we don’t have to go too deep though. If they remain in tact, UNLV will have another good season.

Pizano was an arguable MVP last season (shut up Bull), between the Vandy and CSU Game, he grabbed two wins that might not have been. There will be a sizable drop off with kicking. It’s not going to be nearly as reliable. Nichols is back, so punting will be fine.

The schedule is overall tougher (Syracuse, Houston, Kansas) but there isn’t an “unwinnable” Michigan on tap either. The offense will keep UNLV in every game and the defense should be able to do the same. Predictions, not quite ready to make. I think game one I’m going to parlay UNLV ML (I think they are a three point dog) and the over lightly just for the fun of it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.