ADVERTISEMENT

First Look

Lots of nice passing in the highlights. We had very little of that last year. More like, hey, my turn to go 1 on 5.

Reactions: Trax0r
Call me the negative one but this roster will not help CKK get retained.

We have two good players, one who is relatively good but has put on unhealthy weight, and the rest aren’t impressive.

Forgive me for being pessimistic.

So I think that anyone trying to take anything super deep from a scrimmage highlight reel is reaching. Here's what i took from the video.

* Bear and Bannerbie look like they're in shape, can run the floor, have at least decent hands and footwork and the fact that either can take a couple of dribbles to set a screen off of a dribble hand off will add some motion and wrinkles to our offense. Cherry was jogging a little more than I like to see, but he wouldn't be the first big man to take a break getting back on defense on a fast break.

* No Jalen Hill in the video that I saw. Given how early he was injured last year I was hoping to see him.

* No N'Diaye - I wonder if this means a developmental redshirt is coming?

* Whiting looks like he might have enough of a pulse to spell Dedan for 8-10 minutes a game when needed but he's certainly not my idea of a top of the rotation back up.

We have two good players, one who is relatively good but has put on unhealthy weight, and the rest aren’t impressive.

Agreed. Athleticism seems below average. They’ll have the opportunity to prove us wrong, but my expectations are low.

Jesus Christ. We are in trouble. It was a nice 2 years knowing ya..the current pg.

Last edited:

Two good players? Who’s the other one? Lol

• Haha
Reactions: bcvegaspt2
This is the product in year 4 and this is acceptable? An at large bid is not even a consideration and the AD is okay with this!? We have a coach that is in way over his head and it’s just status quo by the athletic department. Thanks UNLV for taking pride in the program.

This is the product in year 4 and this is acceptable? An at large bid is not even a consideration and the AD is okay with this!? We have a coach that is in way over his head and it’s just status quo by the athletic department. Thanks UNLV for taking pride in the program.
This year could shape into… A. We play above our collective heads or B. We fire him due to the same old, same old. I’m thinking it’s going to be the letter B!

Isn’t this year 3?

Im sure the AD wants “more” this season and I do think it’s the bar.

Kevin has been around. He knows the score. AD has made moves before, he knows what’s up.

It’s a make or break year and I don’t think gray comes into play.

Isn’t this year 3?

Im sure the AD wants “more” this season and I do think it’s the bar.

Kevin has been around. He knows the score. AD has made moves before, he knows what’s up.

It’s a make or break year and I don’t think gray comes into play.
This next season will be the fourth season, but I think the AD put getting football moved forward as the first priority. I do believe that UNLV basketball must take another step forward in order for Kruger to keep his job at the end of this season upcoming.

Jailen Bedford averaged 14ppg for Oral Roberts so he should be a solid starter alongside Dedan. I can see Jaden Henley starting also. He averaged 8ppg as a sophomore in the Big East so going to the MWC should give him another couple buckets per game. Whaley should be good for 14-15ppg for us. Dedan could be averaging 18 a game. I worry a bit about our bench. I think Hill and Hicks will be solid for us but we have to have another guy really step up. I don't think we'll be a disaster but I also don't expect anything out of the norm from the past few years. Probably a finish anywhere from 4th-7th.

I’m upset that we don’t recruit at a higher level. And we don’t schedule at a higher level. I do believe we have an average head coach. That being said, I believe we will be better than most people think. Maybe even over achieving a bit. However, if we don’t have a really big, exciting year, I believe we need a coaching change. Kevin is making this much harder than it needs to be. We should be very good EVERY year. Being happy about the NIT last year aint gonna cut it…

Jailen Bedford averaged 14ppg for Oral Roberts so he should be a solid starter alongside Dedan. I can see Jaden Henley starting also. He averaged 8ppg as a sophomore in the Big East so going to the MWC should give him another couple buckets per game. Whaley should be good for 14-15ppg for us. Dedan could be averaging 18 a game. I worry a bit about our bench. I think Hill and Hicks will be solid for us but we have to have another guy really step up. I don't think we'll be a disaster but I also don't expect anything out of the norm from the past few years. Probably a finish anywhere from 4th-7th.
Considering UNLV finished in fourth one game out of third last season, finishing 4th-7th this next season should include walking papers for Kruger. If they can't finish at least 3rd or better in his fourth season as the head coach, then he most likely has already hit his plateau as head coach.

Reactions: Rebel Hoya
Considering UNLV finished in fourth one game out of third last season, finishing 4th-7th this next season should include walking papers for Kruger. If they can't finish at least 3rd or better in his fourth season as the head coach, then he most likely has already hit his plateau as head coach.
I think it should be at large or bust.

Agreed! See one of my responses above in which I said reach the NCAA tournament or he should get his walking papers.
Well, I think it should be an at large … not a 6th place finish and winning the MWCT to get the bid. Earn it over the course of the season with quality play, not over 3 days where luck plays an important part. I want to get there, beggars can’t be choosers, but want to earn it. Four years in, sorry, but you need to earn your keep.

Well, I think it should be an at large … not a 6th place finish and winning the MWCT to get the bid. Earn it over the course of the season with quality play, not over 3 days where luck plays an important part. I want to get there, beggars can’t be choosers, but want to earn it. Four years in, sorry, but you need to earn your keep.
If he keeps improving with one more win per year, it could take another 2-3 years, and that is not good enough. If he wins the MWC and gets in, that would probably get Kruger a pass, but I agree that they need to get to the NCAA by winning all year long not getting lucky at the end.

I guess I should have said that Kruger either needs to make the NCAA tournament this next season, or he should be gone.
100%….That was supposed to be the ultimatum for last year (season 3). Then the first game of the season was a terrible quad 4 loss and it was all she wrote for an at large. Let’s not even speak about AF.

We’re just wasting time at this point.

100%….That was supposed to be the ultimatum for last year (season 3). Then the first game of the season was a terrible quad 4 loss and it was all she wrote for an at large. Let’s not even speak about AF.

We’re just wasting time at this point.
I think that 10 game winning streak is what allowed him to be here this season. Not disagreeing that we are awaiting the inevitable. (I really hope I'm wrong since I want us to be winners)

I could see where, by mid-December, we get a couple of bad losses and the mindset becoming that we need to win 3-4 in March to get in. I HATE that mindset!

I think that 10 game winning streak is what allowed him to be here this season. Not disagreeing that we are awaiting the inevitable. (I really hope I'm wrong since I want us to be winners)

I could see where, by mid-December, we get a couple of bad losses and the mindset becoming that we need to win 3-4 in March to get in. I HATE that mindset!
The thing is - the 10 game stretch or whatever it was when we “saved ourselves” , a couple were decent teams, most were scabs like SJSUx2, AFA, Fresno a couple times I believe … taking it in context, it was fine but nothing close to some impressive peaking … unless you wanted to convince yourself that it was a great stretch to soothe your own ego. Yes, they played better during that stretch, but context is important, too, imo, like Dantley averaging 74 pts per game for Panaca High vs Bunkerville and Elko.

It’s the worst mindset. That’s when watching games is a task, when the writing is on the wall. Forces a much heavier early season focus on other things like The World Series of Parcheesi.

I am buying tickets for Memphis game. The season schedule is great for growth. I am not pessimistic about the team except for the power forward positions. Looks like some outside shooting has been added and that should help a lot. Bannerbie (sp) and the JC transfer along with Whaley will be competitive in MWC, not sure about the preseason though. My wife wanted coach gone but it is what it is. Go Rebs.

Reactions: TimothyC3
I am buying tickets for Memphis game. The season schedule is great for growth. I am not pessimistic about the team except for the power forward positions. Looks like some outside shooting has been added and that should help a lot. Bannerbie (sp) and the JC transfer along with Whaley will be competitive in MWC, not sure about the preseason though. My wife wanted coach gone but it is what it is. Go Rebs.
You’re always ultra optimistic to start … and you last longer than most …. Until it ends.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT