ADVERTISEMENT

First Look

RebelScrub

Making UNLV relevent again for locals
May 29, 2001
Wow, what did you guys think?

I am absolutely stunned at what was on display.

Stunned! Not really. We had a bunch of freshmen and first year JC guys playing pick up ball for the first time in front of a crowd. Here's what I saw and thought about it.

Jojo is a good shooting guard. He made a couple nice shots and he will bring a needed scoring punch to our offense.

Dembele has gained a lot of muscle and made some nice little shots over McCoy (right and left handed). It is gonna be great to watch him develop physically over the next couple years,

Johnson is not the second coming of Robert Smith or Marcus Banks but he can play the point. Made some nice passes and is really quick. Should be able to guard those quick little guards that always give us fits.

Brandon McCoy is large and athletic. Pro scouts are gonna drool over his body and potential which is the biggest reason he may be a one and done. And by the way, he can play.

Juice didn't show us too much last night as they had him on the wing. Not his normal spot as he is probably better suited at this point to bang around on the inside but we might see him sliding out from time to time if we go with a big line-up. Did I just say UNLV with a big line up? Yes I did!

A big surprise for me was Beck. You won't find many guys his size as quick as he is. 6'7" and 230 chasing guys all over the place. Had a couple nice hustle plays and a put back dunk. He will get minutes this year.

Biggest disappointment was not getting to see Hardy play. I think he could be a good one. Don't know much about Smith and he didn't play either as well as Clyburn and DS. Oh and Green was better than I thought after hearing some things about him. Good defender on the perimeter.

What I really like is that we will have 3 really promising big guys going at each other every day in practice. That's where you get better, in practice. Yeah, we talking' 'bout practice. We will see a lot of improvement in the post during the season because of it.

Hopefully Clyburn has learned how to finish at the rim. If he has and his shot is back to where it was in JC he will be a good piece. He may have been our best defender and rebounder last year.

We should have enough players this year to field one respectable team but at this point we don't have enough to put 2 good teams on the court which was what we were trying to do last night.

Thanks for a positive and enlightening writeup Pistol... lets give them time to get some confidence and get better. I just hope we play 9-10 guys and have a quick score inside ; push the ball mentality....

Reactions: khokhol8
Agree with Pistol's take, but I think the road will be bumpy with lots of twists and turns. Put your seat belt on.

Agree with Pistol's take, but I think the road will be bumpy with lots of twists and turns. Put your seat belt on.

Luckily I have this memory seared into my mind. I will always remember this first look.

Who wants vid or watch replay?

Stunned! Not really. We had a bunch of freshmen and first year JC guys playing pick up ball for the first time in front of a crowd. Here's what I saw and thought about it.

Jojo is a good shooting guard. He made a couple nice shots and he will bring a needed scoring punch to our offense.

Dembele has gained a lot of muscle and made some nice little shots over McCoy (right and left handed). It is gonna be great to watch him develop physically over the next couple years,

Johnson is not the second coming of Robert Smith or Marcus Banks but he can play the point. Made some nice passes and is really quick. Should be able to guard those quick little guards that always give us fits.

Brandon McCoy is large and athletic. Pro scouts are gonna drool over his body and potential which is the biggest reason he may be a one and done. And by the way, he can play.

Juice didn't show us too much last night as they had him on the wing. Not his normal spot as he is probably better suited at this point to bang around on the inside but we might see him sliding out from time to time if we go with a big line-up. Did I just say UNLV with a big line up? Yes I did!

A big surprise for me was Beck. You won't find many guys his size as quick as he is. 6'7" and 230 chasing guys all over the place. Had a couple nice hustle plays and a put back dunk. He will get minutes this year.

Biggest disappointment was not getting to see Hardy play. I think he could be a good one. Don't know much about Smith and he didn't play either as well as Clyburn and DS. Oh and Green was better than I thought after hearing some things about him. Good defender on the perimeter.

What I really like is that we will have 3 really promising big guys going at each other every day in practice. That's where you get better, in practice. Yeah, we talking' 'bout practice. We will see a lot of improvement in the post during the season because of it.

Hopefully Clyburn has learned how to finish at the rim. If he has and his shot is back to where it was in JC he will be a good piece. He may have been our best defender and rebounder last year.

We should have enough players this year to field one respectable team but at this point we don't have enough to put 2 good teams on the court which was what we were trying to do last night.

I have had time to listen to some opinions and then make my own evaluation based on my limited (only 6 minutes of scrimmage) chance to see the players and IMO this is pretty much spot on! I will add that I was really impressed with the progress Dembele has made...the left and right jump hooks in the post were nice! I can foresee Menzies running a little twin tower action with Dembele at the 5 and McCoy at the 4! Also, I can't wait to see what Hardy and Clyburn add to the team. Talking to one of the assistants I was told Clyburn has a high ankle sprain.

The bottom line is that you don't need 10-12 players. All it takes is 5 plus 2 or 3 coming off the bench. I need to see more!

Reactions: bcvegaspt
Monster and C3 are right on the money. Lots bumps and twists in the road while trying to figure out which 7-8 players have a role on this team. Tark only wanted 7 guys + 1 in case of foul trouble.

I think we have 8 guys that will buy in and have a role. Some will have a leading role and others a supporting role.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT