ADVERTISEMENT

Few guys I haven't heard too much about

LVRebel2000

Rebel Legend
Gold Member
Jun 30, 2011
Las Vegas
There are a couple of players that I was expecting to have a much bigger statistical impact for the UNLV football team this year that I haven't heard too much about. Any insights from those of you that are paying closer attention?

1. Tony Grimes - I know he's seen game action, but I guess I didn't pay too much attention to who was in the game at different times. I was looking at the stats and Grimes has had very few recordable stats. It's listed that he has 0 tackles or interceptions, and only 1 pass defended on the season. Has he not been getting a lot of playing time, or are teams just not throwing his way very much?

2. Casey Cain - I expected that he was going to be a much bigger target for the Rebels this season, with many defenses focusing on both RW3 and De Jesus, but he only has 1 reception on the season. Did Bradley pass him up on the depth chart? Or maybe it's just due to the lack of passing game prior to HMW getting the start. RW3 has 20 catches, De Jesus 7, and no one else with more than 3, so maybe it's just the lack of passing overall.

3. Ballungay - Similar situation to Cain. That TD that he got last game vs. FSU was scary with that ball floated up in the air for what seemed like about 10 seconds, but even with that, he only has 3 receptions this year. After the way he finished the season last year, I thought he'd get more looks this season.

I like our TE, I wish they would use him on the seam routes but Ballugay is at the very least an NFL UDFA due to his size alone!

Reactions: LVRebel2000
There are a couple of players that I was expecting to have a much bigger statistical impact for the UNLV football team this year that I haven't heard too much about. Any insights from those of you that are paying closer attention?

1. Tony Grimes - I know he's seen game action, but I guess I didn't pay too much attention to who was in the game at different times. I was looking at the stats and Grimes has had very few recordable stats. It's listed that he has 0 tackles or interceptions, and only 1 pass defended on the season. Has he not been getting a lot of playing time, or are teams just not throwing his way very much?

2. Casey Cain - I expected that he was going to be a much bigger target for the Rebels this season, with many defenses focusing on both RW3 and De Jesus, but he only has 1 reception on the season. Did Bradley pass him up on the depth chart? Or maybe it's just due to the lack of passing game prior to HMW getting the start. RW3 has 20 catches, De Jesus 7, and no one else with more than 3, so maybe it's just the lack of passing overall.

3. Ballungay - Similar situation to Cain. That TD that he got last game vs. FSU was scary with that ball floated up in the air for what seemed like about 10 seconds, but even with that, he only has 3 receptions this year. After the way he finished the season last year, I thought he'd get more looks this season.
Regards Ballungay Sluka couldn't throw a decent pass to the guy. It's why I said at the time that Sluka couldn't hit the crack of my ass at 30 yards.

He didn't get a lot of run or targets at Texas. Maybe he doesn't run good routes. I did think he'd have more than 1 catch at this point. Hopeful he can be used in the future. RWIII will continue to get more bracketing from opposing defenses. Underneath is going to be open a lot if Ricky is stretching defenses. It's a matchup nightmare though. If you play 2 high safeties and commit one to RWIII you are leaving one high and can just use the run game. It was obvious what Marion was doing on Saturday. If Fresno was playing halves we'd gash underneath or run the ball. If they went one high and brought another into the box, it was a stretch play with an option component or a slant or out with a post on the same side. That one high safety had to make a decision.

UNLV was toying with that Fresno defense all day. That attacking defense was confused most of the game.

Last edited:

Early on, I mentioned that Cain wouldn't be a huge factor based on solid information I was getting.

Grimes, not sure. But sometimes when a DB isnt mentioned much, it’s a good thing. Meaning they aren’t going after him. I’d have to review to see if that’s at least part of the case.

Ballungay is a complete mismatch that isn’t utilized enough. Even on his TD, it was far from a perfect textbook pass, but with good reason. That rainmaker was an easy “go get it over the guy that’s a foot shorter than you” touchdown. We need to use him more. He should get 3-4-5 targets per game.

Early on, I mentioned that Cain wouldn't be a huge factor based on solid information I was getting.

Grimes, not sure. But sometimes when a DB isnt mentioned much, it’s a good thing. Meaning they aren’t going after him. I’d have to review to see if that’s at least part of the case.

Ballungay is a complete mismatch that isn’t utilized enough. Even on his TD, it was far from a perfect textbook pass, but with good reason. That rainmaker was an easy “go get it over the guy that’s a foot shorter than you” touchdown. We need to use him more. He should get 3-4-5 targets per game.
I'm not sure if I saw that regarding Cain, but maybe just forgot about it.

I was thinking the same with Grimes. It could be that he's blanketing guys, and the QB's aren't even throwing it his way. I honestly don't know, which is why I was asking. Either way though, 1 tackle after 4 games is pretty crazy. Though, I remember Deion never used to like tackling either, but sure loved interceptions.

I was trying to look to see if the box scores or anything show how many plays a guy was in the game for, but I couldn't find anything (Grimes). If he's playing CB the whole game and that's all the stats he has, he must be playing some amazing defense!

Reactions: RebelinWA
I'm not sure if I saw that regarding Cain, but maybe just forgot about it.

I was thinking the same with Grimes. It could be that he's blanketing guys, and the QB's aren't even throwing it his way. I honestly don't know, which is why I was asking. Either way though, 1 tackle after 4 games is pretty crazy. Though, I remember Deion never used to like tackling either, but sure loved interceptions.

I was trying to look to see if the box scores or anything show how many plays a guy was in the game for, but I couldn't find anything (Grimes). If he's playing CB the whole game and that's all the stats he has, he must be playing some amazing defense!
Deion was a wimpy tackler. He made Dodge-Masters seem like a beast. He didn’t like contact at all. Best cover guy I’ve ever seen though, was fun to watch.

UNLV is pretty thick at receiver. Even the lesser used guys are caught up with Cain. That’s what I was told in preseason from two very reliable sources.

Grimes has been very good on coverage. No stats doesn't mean its bad, actually it is pretty good. Remember they just stopped throwing it Eric Wright's guy so his stats were not good his year with us. I'm not saying that Grimes is that good, or that he is covering better than Oliver, but he is doing a good job.

I too am surprised with Cain. He is bigger and a possession guy. Ballungay is in a similar situation. Both more likely to be on shorter/medium routes which was Sluka's cryptonite. I can see both get a bit more love with HMW at the helm. But I think QBs fall a little too in love with RW at times, but when it is working...

Grimes has been very good on coverage. No stats doesn't mean its bad, actually it is pretty good. Remember they just stopped throwing it Eric Wright's guy so his stats were not good his year with us. I'm not saying that Grimes is that good, or that he is covering better than Oliver, but he is doing a good job.

I too am surprised with Cain. He is bigger and a possession guy. Ballungay is in a similar situation. Both more likely to be on shorter/medium routes which was Sluka's cryptonite. I can see both get a bit more love with HMW at the helm. But I think QBs fall a little too in love with RW at times, but when it is working...
Has Grimes been out there on D pretty much the whole time during the games? I may still have the games recorded to go back and check, but I'm not sure.

hard to miss a guy as big as Ballungay. Hopefully the ball will get spread around a little more with HMW at the helm
hopefully we figure out the 3rd and 4th and short stuff with passes to the TE. Our tendency is to just lower our shoulders and try and push our way into the endzone or 1st down, but man that tendency could really open up the little Jump pass type stuff to the TE peeling off the pile...

hopefully we figure out the 3rd and 4th and short stuff with passes to the TE. Our tendency is to just lower our shoulders and try and push our way into the endzone or 1st down, but man that tendency could really open up the little Jump pass type stuff to the TE peeling off the pile...
Theyre just saving it for a later game

100%. If nothing else, the fact that we've been so heavy on run, and then passing to WR3, the opposing defenses don't have much film on us using the other guys, which hopefully will open up some wide open passes.

They do keep stuff in back pockets for sure.
There is a very good reason that we have gone very vanilla when we have had bigger leads. Limit the tape. Sure, maybe not everything is in the playbook, which is constantly expanding. But the element of surprise is huge, want to keep that for sure.

The blown 4th and goal was frustrating for sure, but I am not too concerned. The broadcast mentioned something a little later in the game that could be 100% true. It was very possible that it ended up a busted play due to timing, people not being in the exact position, etc. A QB run up the middle is a curious call to say the least if that was what was supposed to happen, and it did look like HMW was scrambling to make something out of nothing vs running the play as designed.

Also low risk with a lead and being that close to the goal line.

There is a very good reason that we have gone very vanilla when we have had bigger leads. Limit the tape. Sure, maybe not everything is in the playbook, which is constantly expanding. But the element of surprise is huge, want to keep that for sure.

The blown 4th and goal was frustrating for sure, but I am not too concerned. The broadcast mentioned something a little later in the game that could be 100% true. It was very possible that it ended up a busted play due to timing, people not being in the exact position, etc. A QB run up the middle is a curious call to say the least if that was what was supposed to happen, and it did look like HMW was scrambling to make something out of nothing vs running the play as designed.

Also low risk with a lead and being that close to the goal line.
I remember being told last year - they have a fake punt but will not use it until a prime moment. And that’s what they did. Vs Air Force. It was huge. A bit fluky, I don’t know how he came down with that pass. But it worked.

They’re only surprises if you almost never use them.

You could also tell the look on De Jesus' face when his TD got called back. Hes been frustrated as well with the passing game. maybe his role.. Might be why Cain also hasnt been involved, we just dont have enough passing downs in the offense right now that we've needed to get more than 2 guys steadily involved. Seems like its White, Jacob, check down to back or tuck and run.. which has been fine so far.

I was wondering where Grimes was also. Never know what's going on. Thought he was going to be our starting CB. Made some plays last game.

The lack of the TE or routes over the middle is weird. We just don't work that area of the field. Ballungay is a monster. We need to throw to him more.

There's no all-22 tape for the game, but I have watched it twice now. Fresno very clearly wasn't ready for the triple option game with our current personnel--over and over the ignored the QB or let a fake pitch pull them way out of position. It really looked like they didn't think Hajj was a running threat and instead were geared to stop the RBs.

They were also bringing a SS into the box on nearly every running down and Ricky was constantly in single coverage. The man can run some routes. I'm more (or maybe less given the Skipper DC stent here) surprised that they never really adapted to either tendency. We barely even used any RPO (the announcers called PA passes RPO several times), and that's apparently Hajj's bread and butter. I really like how well Hajj read the read option--I don't think we've ever had a QB who has been that good with it. I only counted 3 bad reads all game (and in fairness, I'm applying my personal knowledge of the reads based on formation--it might be different in the GoGo at times.

Once you get those DBs having to double Ricky more and decide to take away the QB run you're going to see more RBs and other WRs start to get big plays. I don't think Hajj has as big an arm as Sluka or even Maiava, but his ball is super catchable and he understands when to change speeds and can throw from several different angles.

As for the QB power off guard on 4th and goal, that almost seems like it was a pre-snap read and we ran right into the teeth of a run blitz. Maybe it was rushed

Last edited:
Deion was a wimpy tackler. He made Dodge-Masters seem like a beast. He didn’t like contact at all. Best cover guy I’ve ever seen though, was fun to watch.

UNLV is pretty thick at receiver. Even the lesser used guys are caught up with Cain. That’s what I was told in preseason from two very reliable sources.
My dad used to have choice words for Dodd-Masters back in the day lol, was never a fan of his and called him "toast" as a nickname because in his words "he's always getting burnt". Lmao thanks for reminding me lolol.

Grimes made a pic against Kansas that was ruled incomplete. He’s been good on coverage. I think catalon and some other guys have just taken all the shine with their spectacular plays.
There must be some sort of stats on DB's in terms of coverage right? Or is that just in the NFL? I'd love to see how many catches there have been on guys that Grimes covered.

Reactions: bcvegaspt2
There must be some sort of stats on DB's in terms of coverage right? Or is that just in the NFL? I'd love to see how many catches there have been on guys that Grimes covered.
If you pay for Pro Football Focus Plus you get the college stat breakdown and ratings from tape evaluation. I haven't found a consistent place where they give it for free.

These numbers are for westerns schools only:

Top-Graded
@PFF
Safeties thru Week 5
83.0—Jalen Catalon, UNLV
81.8—Bryan Addison, UCLA
79.1—Craig Woodson, Cal
77.7—Ethan Powell, SJSU
76.9—Tysheem Johnson, Oregon
76.8—Johnathan Baldwin, UNLV
76.7—Kitan Crawford, Nevada
76.8—Xavion Alford, ASU
76.6—Rodney Robinson, Boise St
76.2—Tao Johnson, Utah

9:31 AM · Sep 30, 2024
·
Views

Top-Graded
@PFF
CBs thru Week 5
85.1—Travis Hunter, Colorado
83.1—Chris Johnson, SDSU
78.2—Collin Wright, Stanford
77.5—Deshawn McCuin, SDSU
77.3—Cameron Calhoun, Utah
77.0—Marcus Harris, Cal
76.4—Brandon Johnson, Oregon
76.0—Michael Coats Jr., Nevada
76.0—Cam Stone, Hawai'i
75.6—Emmanuel Karnley, Arizona

These numbers are for westerns schools only:

Top-Graded
@PFF
Safeties thru Week 5
83.0—Jalen Catalon, UNLV
81.8—Bryan Addison, UCLA
79.1—Craig Woodson, Cal
77.7—Ethan Powell, SJSU
76.9—Tysheem Johnson, Oregon
76.8—Johnathan Baldwin, UNLV
76.7—Kitan Crawford, Nevada
76.8—Xavion Alford, ASU
76.6—Rodney Robinson, Boise St
76.2—Tao Johnson, Utah

9:31 AM · Sep 30, 2024
·
Views

Top-Graded
@PFF
CBs thru Week 5
85.1—Travis Hunter, Colorado
83.1—Chris Johnson, SDSU
78.2—Collin Wright, Stanford
77.5—Deshawn McCuin, SDSU
77.3—Cameron Calhoun, Utah
77.0—Marcus Harris, Cal
76.4—Brandon Johnson, Oregon
76.0—Michael Coats Jr., Nevada
76.0—Cam Stone, Hawai'i
75.6—Emmanuel Karnley, Arizona
Thanks for sharing. I think I'm gonna have to go back and watch some of the games just to see Grimes.

There's no all-22 tape for the game, but I have watched it twice now. Fresno very clearly wasn't ready for the triple option game with our current personnel--over and over the ignored the QB or let a fake pitch pull them way out of position. It really looked like they didn't think Hajj was a running threat and instead were geared to stop the RBs.

They were also bringing a SS into the box on nearly every running down and Ricky was constantly in single coverage. The man can run some routes. I'm more (or maybe less given the Skipper DC stent here) surprised that they never really adapted to either tendency. We barely even used any RPO (the announcers called PA passes RPO several times), and that's apparently Hajj's bread and butter. I really like how well Hajj read the read option--I don't think we've ever had a QB who has been that good with it. I only counted 3 bad reads all game (and in fairness, I'm applying my personal knowledge of the reads based on formation--it might be different in the GoGo at times.

Once you get those DBs having to double Ricky more and decide to take away the QB run you're going to see more RBs and other WRs start to get big plays. I don't think Hajj has as big an arm as Sluka or even Maiava, but his ball is super catchable and he understands when to change speeds and can throw from several different angles.

As for the QB power off guard on 4th and goal, that almost seems like it was a pre-snap read and we ran right into the teeth of a run blitz. Maybe it was rushed

'I'm more (or maybe less given the Skipper DC stent here)'

Very very good recruiter. Lauded everywhere he's been as a fantastic position coach. By all accounts a genuinely good guy..

But nothing about his tenure here as DC ever made me think give that guy a HC gig.

Great write up by the way!

Following up on this regarding Grimes, I rewatched the 1st half (so far) of the Fresno game. They only threw at him 1 time. It was the play towards the end of the half on the sidelines where the WR had a chance to make the play on a jump ball type, but Grimes got a hand in there and the WR ended up falling flat on his back and getting up very slowly. Maybe I'll get to the 2nd half tonight but we'll see.

Reactions: hrz702
Regarding Cain and Ballenguay, a couple things. We almost exclusively run the ball, and two our quality of opponents dictates our game plan. It seems that this year we are heavily focused on controlling the clock since our Oline can win in the trenches and Odom has completely revamped the defense. Given that we control the clock, our defense is extremely well rested. Expect the same thing against Syracuse.

Compare that to prior years where we are getting in track meets or worse, blown out. I completely misread the way the offense would develop, I thought it would be a high flying, very uptempo offense.

Regarding Cain and Ballenguay, a couple things. We almost exclusively run the ball, and two our quality of opponents dictates our game plan. It seems that this year we are heavily focused on controlling the clock since our Oline can win in the trenches and Odom has completely revamped the defense. Given that we control the clock, our defense is extremely well rested. Expect the same thing against Syracuse.

Compare that to prior years where we are getting in track meets or worse, blown out. I completely misread the way the offense would develop, I thought it would be a high flying, very uptempo offense.
Sluka gone and the offense will now move out of second gear!

Kinda is , when you score 59 pts...LOL And we are holding back !!!!!

Agreed that we've been running the ball a lot, especially the QB's, but I would think that doing so would also open up the passing game. After 4 games, and a combined 4 catches between the two of them (Bal-3, Cain-1), I'd say we can get them the ball more, even with only 15-20 attempts per game.

Agreed that we've been running the ball a lot, especially the QB's, but I would think that doing so would also open up the passing game. After 4 games, and a combined 4 catches between the two of them (Bal-3, Cain-1), I'd say we can get them the ball more, even with only 15-20 attempts per game.
You would think and use our TE's for run blocking but have them leak out for passes on RPO.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT