ADVERTISEMENT

Favorable schedule 23

Rebelsss

National Player of the Year
Gold Member
Sep 1, 2021
I think we have a very favorable schedule in 23. Home games against Bryant, Hawaii and Colorado st. Road game UNM. That should be four wins right there. We just have to get two more wins for a successful season.

Reactions: LVRebel2000
It is really comparable to this season.

Michigan- ND
Vandy- Cal
UTEP- UNT
Bryant- Idaho state

Conference schedule perhaps a tad easier. Weird to not play SDSU. Obviously CSU was awful this year, but will likely be much better next year, safe to say the same with Hawaii and UNR. Its good to get Wyoming at home. Interesting to see what SJSU does with a new coach.

I said this about Prime at CU and I will say it about Odom. They key for wins and losses in their first year will be recruiting. If recruiting goes well, they get some of the players they want… athletes who are tough minded and coachable at OL, DL, WR, CB and for us add QB, LB and RB. The first year can be bowl eligibility. Now we all know we cannot fill every hole right away with just HS recruiting but the equalizer is the transfer portal and these days, you never know what someone like Odom may be able to do here. I kinda like the guy so far though. Maybe just maybe we can become tough on D and run the ball enough to set up the pass. Then we would have something consistent here at UNLV for once and that would be 6-6 or better most years, which would mean we are winning!

8 wins should be the floor. Best facilities, highest paid coach, time to have high expectations. No more "just happy to make a bowl". We hired a SEC resume coach, expect him to be able to beat MWC teams. Considering Arroyo lost 4 single score games this past year I see no reason why it shouldn't be 8 minimum.

8 wins should be the floor. Best facilities, highest paid coach, time to have high expectations. No more "just happy to make a bowl". We hired a SEC resume coach, expect him to be able to beat MWC teams. Considering Arroyo lost 4 single score games this past year I see no reason why it shouldn't be 8 minimum.
If he can keep most of the team together, and add in additional guys from the transfer portal, there shouldn't be much of a drop off from this year, if at all. Hopefully, like you said, we can even improve on our 5 win season and go bowling next year!

There’s a lot of holes to fill on this team as more guys enter the portal/declare for the draft. I need to see some commitments before I’d go and say 8 wins.

I expect 6 wins year one and would be okay building off that. 8 wins in year 1 would be the greatest win total for a first year D1 UNLV coach ever. Hell the last 5 coaches combined to get 10 wins total (3,2,2,3,0). Look I have high expectations for Coach Odom and think 8 is possible if everything goes right but a “floor of 8 wins” is a little much.

I think 6-7 wins is a reasonable floor--but just like setting an accurate ceiling, setting an accurate floor is tough. I based my predictions on him getting the players he was looking for and filling the biggest holes.

The big if, is who stays and who he is able to get here between HS recruiting and transfers. I will also wait to see how things line up after the recruiting is done and who he is able to retain. But we should not expect a huge drop off from the 5-7 last year.

If we improve the OL and DL we should improve the offense and defense by default! I am hoping for a team that is sound defensively, improved running game and better special teams. We don’t need to be all world at any just be a little better than good and we could be looking at 6-8 wins next year and then we would have to worry about Odom leaving! Lol

The big if, is who stays and who he is able to get here between HS recruiting and transfers. I will also wait to see how things line up after the recruiting is done and who he is able to retain. But we should not expect a huge drop off from the 5-7 last year.

If we improve the OL and DL we should improve the offense and defense by default! I am hoping for a team that is sound defensively, improved running game and better special teams. We don’t need to be all world at any just be a little better than good and we could be looking at 6-8 wins next year and then we would have to worry about Odom leaving! Lol
Yeah, we really weren't that far away this year. Notre Dame is one thing (and it wasn't actually as bad as I expected), but there's no reason that we should have gotten blown out by AFA & San Jose State like we did. We were in all of the other games, so we are at least close in terms of talent. After that, it comes down to coaching, play calling, and execution. Hopefully with Odom, the team will be better prepared to not have those AFA/SJSU type of games, and we can get 1 TD better either offensively or defensively, and get wins instead of some of those close losses.

I love that Brumfield is returning. Whether or not he's the starting QB, he's a key figure on the team. Him stepping up seems like it would make it more likely that others stay, IMO.

Reactions: rebel5280
It is really comparable to this season.

Michigan- ND
Vandy- Cal
UTEP- UNT
Bryant- Idaho state

Conference schedule perhaps a tad easier. Weird to not play SDSU. Obviously CSU was awful this year, but will likely be much better next year, safe to say the same with Hawaii and UNR. Its good to get Wyoming at home. Interesting to see what SJSU does with a new coach.
CSU has a lot of players in the portal.

I believe CSU had the most players in the portal within the MWC! Funny that so far UNLV was one of the teams with the lowest number of players in the portal so far.

For those that don’t know here’s the 2023 schedule. The conference eliminates the divisions next year. VERY favorable to miss Boise St, SDSU, and Utah St and not any of the teams that usually finish in the bottom half. The schedule is certainly set up for Coach Odom to have a successful first year.

vs Bryant (FCS)
@ Michigan
vs Vandy
@ UTEP

vs CSU
vs Hawaii
vs SJSU
vs Wyoming
@ Air Force
@ Fresno St
@ UNR
@ New Mexico

It seems like every couple of years, Michigan loses an early season home game to a team that they should typically destroy. Let's hope next year is that year again.
Let’s hope Odom has us ready for Michigan, maybe a little Appalachian State action for us against the Maze and Blue! 😂

• Love
That's the only game on the schedule next year where we shouldn't have a chance to win...

I'd agree. Also Air Force and Fresno on the road are tough match ups. Even if Reno is just as bad next year it's a rivalry game so all bets off (should win though).

Expect San Jose to be far more competitive this year. It's one thing for Rebs to lose in conference. Happens teams lose games. even some they shouldn't. But in no way should UNLV get bullied by anybody in conference like they were by San Jose State this year.

UNLV should now be able to physically and athletically compete with anybody in conference.

I'd agree. Also Air Force and Fresno on the road are tough match ups. Even if Reno is just as bad next year it's a rivalry game so all bets off (should win though).

Expect San Jose to be far more competitive this year. It's one thing for Rebs to lose in conference. Happens teams lose games. even some they shouldn't. But in no way should UNLV get bullied by anybody in conference like they were by San Jose State this year.

UNLV should now be able to physically and athletically compete with anybody in conference.
Should be expected to. We should raise our expectations for the program now, time to get serious vs just being happy to be there...I always felt Arroyo didn't give it his all vs SJ because of his buddy on the other side and him being an Alumni.

Should be expected to. We should raise our expectations for the program now, time to get serious vs just being happy to be there...I always felt Arroyo didn't give it his all vs SJ because of his buddy on the other side and him being an Alumni.

I'll be honest, I don't think any coach would think that way.

His buddy had no problem stomping a mud hole in him.

Reactions: reagan21
The last time Michigan lost to a team with a losing record was 3-9 Illinois in 2009. The App St. was the last out of conference bad loss, and that was back when the current players were toddlers!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT