ADVERTISEMENT

Eyeball Test

khokhol8

National Player of the Year
May 24, 2012
This year's Runnin Rebel team passes the eyeball test!

UNLVMBBTeamPhoto2016Web.jpg

NO. Last Name NAME Height HT WT POS eligibility CL (EXP) Hometown (Last School)
22 ballou jaylan
Jaylan Ballou 72 6-0 175 Guard 1 FR (HS) Port Arthur, Texas (St. Paul High School)
31 baxter jr. troy
Troy Baxter Jr. 80 6-8 190 Forward 1 FR (HS) Tallahassee, Fla. (Oldsmar Christian High School)
-10 bush larry
Larry Bush 74 6-2 165 Guard 5 JR (JC) Calabasas, Calif. (Moorpark College)
1 clyburn kris
Kris Clyburn 78 6-6 170 Guard 3 SO (JC) Detroit, Mich (Ranger College)
13 coupet jr. ben
Ben Coupet Jr. 79 6-7 180 Forward 1 FR (HS) Chicago, Ill. (Simeon Career Academy)
11 dembele cheickna
Cheickna Dembele 83 6-11 235 Forward 1 FR (HS) Mali, Africa (Scotland Performance Institute)
3 green tyrell
Tyrell Green 79 6-7 215 Forward 7 SR (1L) Toronto, Ontario (Hill College)
24 johnson jordan
Jordan Johnson 71 5-11 175 Guard 5 JR (TR) Waukegan, Ill. (Milwaukee)
20 jones christian
Christian Jones 79 6-7 225 Forward 7 SR (TR) Arlington, Texas (St. John's)
30 mooring jovan
Jovan Mooring 74 6-2 205 Guard 5 JR (JC) Country Club Hills, Ill. (South Suburban College)
15 morgan dwayne
Dwayne Morgan 80 6-8 215 Forward 5 JR (2L) Baltimore, Md. (St. Frances Academy)
10 morgan zion
Zion Morgan 77 6-5 180 Guard 1 FR (HS) Chicago, Ill. (Kenwood Academy)
2 ofoegbu uche
Uche Ofoegbu 76 6-4 220 Guard 7 SR (TR) San Antonio, Texas (San Francisco)
5 poyser jalen
Jalen Poyser 76 6-4 180 Guard 3 SO (1L) Malton, Ontario (Orangeville Prep)
12 sljivancanin djordjije
Djordjije Sljivancanin 82 6-10 230 Forward 1 FR (HS) Belgrade, Serbia (IMG Academy)

I'm sorry the roster didn't paste better.

my thoughts:
Green has a great smile!
Dembele and Morgan look like they have comic-book arms. wow.
J Johnson looks like he wished he wasn't redshirting.

thanks for sharing.

We will look like a basketball team in the air port and if our two freshman post players could contribute 20 minutes each per game we could be decent by the end of the year. Also, Baxter looks to be at least 6'9". All in all, considering where Menzies started after the Bird fiasco he did a good job of putting together a roster.

Green looks like he really slimmed down.

It was my fear when Bird blew up the program and before Menzies was hired was that Green as the only remaining player could have ended up starting at the 5 with a bunch of walk-ons and low level jucos.

Reactions: the Florian Trout
It was my fear when Bird blew up the program and before Menzies was hired was that Green as the only remaining player could have ended up starting at the 5 with a bunch of walk-ons and low level jucos.
glad you use that POS's proper name. he's my most hated coach and honestly am glad he didn't stay long. very disappointed he even got a chance.

Reactions: TimothyC3
Please don't confuse this with my defending Bird. He's scum.

However, I'm sure he walked into this program and saw a storied program (a plus) in the midst of program instability (a minus), a program that can put kids into the pros (a plus), a program with great facilities (plus), unstable, nosy boosters (minus) and a shoddy athletic department (big minus) that showed the level of ineptitude throughout the coaching search, culminating with that disasterous BOR meeting in which the university president can't state your name properly.

What I'm saying is I'm sure his eyes were opened in his brief time here. Disgruntled players who were put on the backburner and feeling shunned... it had to be a stunner for him.

And I don't have a problem with his shock. My problem is due diligence should be required before rendering a decision. He should have known all this before agreeing.

And yes, he did set us back. Big time. And screw him.

Reactions: YellowSpinE
Please don't confuse this with my defending Bird. He's scum.

However, I'm sure he walked into this program and saw a storied program (a plus) in the midst of program instability (a minus), a program that can put kids into the pros (a plus), a program with great facilities (plus), unstable, nosy boosters (minus) and a shoddy athletic department (big minus) that showed the level of ineptitude throughout the coaching search, culminating with that disasterous BOR meeting in which the university president can't state your name properly.

What I'm saying is I'm sure his eyes were opened in his brief time here. Disgruntled players who were put on the backburner and feeling shunned... it had to be a stunner for him.

And I don't have a problem with his shock. My problem is due diligence should be required before rendering a decision. He should have known all this before agreeing.

And yes, he did set us back. Big time. And screw him.
I think Beard played us from the beginning. I don't believe he ever had any intent of coaching at UNLV. I bet Tubby told him he was leaving and he used UNLV to establish is worth at Texas Tech. I still don't understand why we even let them speak to him without negotiating a better deal than just the million dollar buyout because the damage he did to the reputation of the program cost us a lot more than that.

I think Beard played us from the beginning. I don't believe he ever had any intent of coaching at UNLV. I bet Tubby told him he was leaving and he used UNLV to establish is worth at Texas Tech. I still don't understand why we even let them speak to him without negotiating a better deal than just the million dollar buyout because the damage he did to the reputation of the program cost us a lot more than that.
You have to look at the other side of the coin. What if Beard failed and you had to buy him out? The number has to work for both sides

Probably not popular opinion, but I don't blame Bird as much as most.

First UNLV treated him like crap. Taking 2 weeks just to get the BOR to hire him was small time and embarrassing. He couldn't even go out there and really recruit much since he was in Limbo. Then of course his boss can't say his name correctly.

He blew up the program, because as coach he probably should have. He would have had a diametrically opposite coaching style to Rice and most of those players probably would not have responded well.

The Tech thing was an unfortunate turn of events. His kids, history with that program, the money. You really can't blame him for leaving. It was a d1ck move, but UNLV treated him poorly first.

The whole fiasco really set up back. I blame TKM for the ridiculously low buyout. That was the dumbest part of the deal for me. Bird was probably going to be a rental coach. Everyone knew this. It was a free pass for a generous donation from the next big money school from stealing our coach, and we set it at 1 mil!, SMH.

Reactions: 1Tripoda
Coaches "play" all the time. Just feigning heavy interest is enough. You don't take it to the extent he took it. You don't go that far down the line.

First UNLV treated him like crap. Taking 2 weeks just to get the BOR to hire him was small time and embarrassing. He couldn't even go out there and really recruit much since he was in Limbo. Then of course his boss can't say his name correctly.

He blew up the program, because as coach he probably should have. He would have had a diametrically opposite coaching style to Rice and most of those players probably would not have responded well.

The Tech thing was an unfortunate turn of events. His kids, history with that program, the money. You really can't blame him for leaving. It was a d1ck move, but UNLV treated him poorly first.

The whole fiasco really set up back. I blame TKM for the ridiculously low buyout. That was the dumbest part of the deal for me. Bird was probably going to be a rental coach. Everyone knew this. It was a free pass for a generous donation from the next big money school from stealing our coach, and we set it at 1 mil!, SMH.
For a guy that never coached a single game at UNLV, he caused more destruction than any UNLV coach. We can argue Rollie, and maybe that is right. But when you look at what Beard had and what he left us with...

Granted, the roster was unstable/tenuous, but Beard was left with a pretty full cupboard when you consider Obepka, Carter, and Cornish were still on board - combined with Poyser, Morgan and Green, you might have your starting five (doubtful though, since Poyser isn't a PG) but certainly six of your top 8 rotation players. With the coaching change, you were going to lose Pat and Derrick anyway. A non-coaching change and I feel at least one of those two are back, if not both.

But more than depleting the roster, even in his brief time here he took something valuable at that point. Time. It was a period where UNLV needed to get some bodies. Sure, Menzies did everything he could to make up for that lost time and he did as well as anybody could have hoped given the circumstances.

Also, and this is far from being Bird's fault alone, but he made UNLV look like fools on a national level. Actually, he just openly revealed what a lot of us already knew - Mickey Mouse on Maryland Parkway. But it was damaging nonetheless.

For a guy that was here for a short vacation, he swung a heavy sledgehammer and I wish him nothing but failure at TTU because of it. He's a creep. From the second he told that very phony Tark story to try and connect with the fanbase... ugh.

Reactions: Rebel Chi-girl
I'm not arguing that his hiring wrecked the program. I 100% agree.

I'd hate him more if UNLV actually handled his onboarding with 20% of competency.

But we didn't. Part of the time we lost was sitting idle for 2 weeks just to get him approved.

No question that retaining an assistant as HC would have retained more players. A pretty good talent pool no doubt. but retaining an assistant after you fire your coach due to failure is a tough thing to do. Could have Miller or Simon have been successful? I actually think Miller could have, Simon was way too inexperienced IMO. But still tough to do. That would have made UNLV looked small time, especially after the public coaching search with big names thrown out there.

Going with a first time head coach AGAIN would have been a mistake. Part of Rice's problems was his learning on the job. Been there, Done that.

Could have hired Menzies instead of Bird. And we probably would be light years ahead of where we are right now (though Menzies has done a good job considering). I think MM retains a few more players.

Though Beard was a better candidate. What he has done is very impressive. He was risky since he had only been each stop for 1 year. But he had been that good to be upgraded after each year. Him blowing up the roster would have been the right move if he was going to be coach. He layed out how it was going to be and the team bolted. That's would have been the best way to go.

I'm not arguing that his hiring wrecked the program. I 100% agree.

I'd hate him more if UNLV actually handled his onboarding with 20% of competency.

But we didn't. Part of the time we lost was sitting idle for 2 weeks just to get him approved.

No question that retaining an assistant as HC would have retained more players. A pretty good talent pool no doubt. but retaining an assistant after you fire your coach due to failure is a tough thing to do. Could have Miller or Simon have been successful? I actually think Miller could have, Simon was way too inexperienced IMO. But still tough to do. That would have made UNLV looked small time, especially after the public coaching search with big names thrown out there.

Going with a first time head coach AGAIN would have been a mistake. Part of Rice's problems was his learning on the job. Been there, Done that.

Could have hired Menzies instead of Bird. And we probably would be light years ahead of where we are right now (though Menzies has done a good job considering). I think MM retains a few more players.

Though Beard was a better candidate. What he has done is very impressive. He was risky since he had only been each stop for 1 year. But he had been that good to be upgraded after each year. Him blowing up the roster would have been the right move if he was going to be coach. He layed out how it was going to be and the team bolted. That's would have been the best way to go.
If Menzies was hired directly after the Cronin panic, he would have retained more players for sure and we'd be in a much better spot today. Part of that you blame on Beard's antics, part of it on UNLV for failing to get things right. But someone mentioned Beard played us - why would he implode us, why would he be so drastic in such a short time if he was playing us? Makes no sense.

Menzies was put in a terrible spot from day one. He's doing everything he can to right it but it's going to take some time.

The primary reason UNLV is - people won't want to hear this - forced to wave a white flag for at least a season - is because UNLV bungled and butchered their way from mid January until May or whatever Menzies' hire date was. So much unnecessary damage.

I was against the Menzies hire and hated UNLV for about a couple of months. I couldn't even drive around the Maryland Trop corridor. Then I got to speak to Menzies during Summer League and again at another function. He genuinely love this program, school and city. That is all we can ask. Cronin and Bird F those guys. Both would have left us for another school in a jiff. Yes Cronin verballed on the job. The next 2 years will be bad. But I do think we get a better X O Coach and consistency at the bench for pressing the reset button. I asked CMM about transfers. He said he will take them as long as they work hard and they put UNLV first. He said it also depends on the situation. The wounds of the summer is beginning to heal for me and UNLV. I will have low expectations this year. If you approach Menzies he will have this welcoming feeling and will actually stop to talk. Hope this don't change. Dave was like this as well in the beginning then I think the pressure changed him the last 2-3 years.

I was against the Menzies hire and hated UNLV for about a couple of months. I couldn't even drive around the Maryland Trop corridor. Then I got to speak to Menzies during Summer League and again at another function. He genuinely love this program, school and city. That is all we can ask. Cronin and Bird F those guys. Both would have left us for another school in a jiff. Yes Cronin verballed on the job. The next 2 years will be bad. But I do think we get a better X O Coach and consistency at the bench for pressing the reset button. I asked CMM about transfers. He said he will take them as long as they work hard and they put UNLV first. He said it also depends on the situation. The wounds of the summer is beginning to heal for me and UNLV. I will have low expectations this year. If you approach Menzies he will have this welcoming feeling and will actually stop to talk. Hope this don't change. Dave was like this as well in the beginning then I think the pressure changed him the last 2-3 years.
I think the next two years are going to be very tough (and they didn't have to be as tough as they are going to be, but UNLV opted to step on every self placed landmine there was since January).

If the next two years are tough, it's a scorching hot seat in year three. A ton of pressure. Maybe he responds well. An issue is the immeasurable and unpredictable - the "breaks"... injuries, a ball bounce, an NCAA ruling, officiating, etc, etc, etc. So many things out of your control that determine the ultimate fate. They can go right or they can go wrong. Lately, seems like all the breaks have been against UNLV.

I'm rooting for him and the Rebs, but I certainly don't envy the position he's in.

Reactions: rorebel24
I think we got a good guy. Instead of being bitter for being literally last on our list of hires, he went ahead and gave us a shot. I wouldn't have if I was in his situation. Not after being jerked around like he was. I wish him well.

UNLV treated him badly, are you serious? If plucking someone from an obscure program and tripling their salary is bad treatment, I'd sure like some of that "bad treatment".

I am completely impressed with Menzies so far.
Really, did the season start already?

I think we got a good guy. Instead of being bitter for being literally last on our list of hires, he went ahead and gave us a shot. I wouldn't have if I was in his situation. Not after being jerked around like he was. I wish him well.
If you were stuck in Las Cruces for ten years, sure you would.

Yes I would say hiring someone, then waiting 2 weeks to actually make it official wasting valuable time with recruiting and talking to the current players then announcing him as your coach and screwing up your very easy name was poor treatment.

It really makes leaving for even more money easier, don't you think?

UNLV treated him badly, are you serious? If plucking someone from an obscure program and tripling their salary is bad treatment, I'd sure like some of that "bad treatment".

Really, did the season start already? Hello Mr Negativity! I'm impressed after speaking with him about his vision for the program, his hiring of assistants, his approach to recruiting, and his ability to coach just to name a few. So back off !

If you were stuck in Las Cruces for ten years, sure you would.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT