ADVERTISEMENT

ESPN 2024 player sleeper picks - DE Antonio Doyle Jr.

RedCannon

UNLV Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2006
Austin, TX

Forgot about this guy. I was really excited when he came over. Didn't realize he was originally recruited by Odom at Missouri. Love seeing our D, especially pass rush, getting stronger. I hope the young man has a break out year!

Antonio Doyle Jr., DE, UNLV Rebels

i

Class: Senior

Height/weight: 6-foot-3, 255 pounds

2023 stats (Jackson State): 11 games (10 starts), 44 tackles (16 solo), 5.5 tackles for loss, 4 sacks, 1 forced fumble, 1 fumble recovery

ESPN recruiting snapshot: Four stars, No. 108 overall, No. 10 outside linebacker, No. 3 in Missouri (signed with Texas A&M)

Rebels coach Barry Odom reunites with Doyle, who had committed to him at Missouri before Odom was fired. Doyle instead went to Texas A&M, where he played sparingly before transferring to Jackson State. He finished second on the team in sacks last fall and could help a UNLV defense that didn't have anyone record more than three sacks last season.

Coach's take: "Pass rush, he can be a special guy," Odom told ESPN. "He's kind of flying under the radar, people have forgotten. He was a top-100 recruit, had some growing up to do, but he's seen the light and he looks special. He's got a six-month mission to make it work."

Anyone have some extra money laying around?

UNLV +650 seems like a good bet.

My feeling is they are putting to much respect on Boise State and Fresno State while putting out the QB as a major loss for UNLV. While I do believe Jayden Maiava did a great job as a freshman for UNLV, I also believe that the QB's battle between Hajj-Malik Williams, Matthew Sluka, and Cameron Friel well end up ending with a QB that is far more experienced and better than Jayden Maiava was as a freshman. https://www.fox5vegas.com/video/202...head-coach-close-naming-starting-quarterback/

My feeling is they are putting to much respect on Boise State and Fresno State while putting out the QB as a major loss for UNLV. While I do believe Jayden Maiava did a great job as a freshman for UNLV, I also believe that the QB's battle between Hajj-Malik Williams, Matthew Sluka, and Cameron Friel well end up ending with a QB that is far more experienced and better than Jayden Maiava was as a freshman. https://www.fox5vegas.com/video/202...head-coach-close-naming-starting-quarterback/
I love Jayden Maiava just about anybody here but the kid is a self defeatist. He make a mistake and he cry in the sideline. Not a good look when you are the QB1. Talented yes but young and immature...but of course, the kid was a freshman.

Reactions: Rebel1986
I read that the starting quarterback will be announced next week.

I love Jayden Maiava just about anybody here but the kid is a self defeatist. He make a mistake and he cry in the sideline. Not a good look when you are the QB1. Talented yes but young and immature...but of course, the kid was a freshman.
Exactly!

Nothing but love for Jayden and the job he did last year. Wish him nothing but the best. I don't think anyone can deny that we snuck up on some people last year, and that's not happening this year. That said, I think our three competitors will push each other enough that it will end up being a net gain for UNLV at QB. Really stoked about the season that is upon us!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT