ADVERTISEMENT

Donta Williams USC

220reb

Rebel Legend
May 29, 2001
He will be on someone's radar as a coaching prospect.

Donte Williams who has more than a dozen years of experience coaching defensive backs and is regarded as one of the nation's top recruiters, remains on the USC staff in 2022 as defensive backs coach and defensive passing game coordinator after serving as the Trojans' interim head coach in 2021

Only HC experience came as an interim, and he didn't get results on the field though he did hold the team together for Lincoln. That's a skill set that would apply for this job, but I have no idea how he would handle building and maintaining a program.

He's an A+ recruiter, but those DBs at USC weren't exactly well coached this season or historically since he's been there. He's got 10 games as a interim HC, and one season as an associate head coach.

Hiring a positional coach as a head man is a huge risk, not as risky as a high school coach, but for someone to have that opportunity without any time as a coordinator is a big risk. Remember, Arroyo was a Coordinator for 7 years and an associate HC for one year at a major PAC12 program.

If we can't get a good P5 coach with some successful history OR a hot P5 coordinator, I'd listen to Williams as an option, but if that happens I know that we completely botched this--which is again another surprise.

I mean I can see the upside with him but when you fire Arroyo after year 3 I was expecting a big upgrade. I do like him more than Arroyo but honestly he’s just another crapshoot. He can recruit but no idea if he’ll be a good HC.

Only HC experience came as an interim, and he didn't get results on the field though he did hold the team together for Lincoln. That's a skill set that would apply for this job, but I have no idea how he would handle building and maintaining a program.

He's an A+ recruiter, but those DBs at USC weren't exactly well coached this season or historically since he's been there. He's got 10 games as a interim HC, and one season as an associate head coach.

Hiring a positional coach as a head man is a huge risk, not as risky as a high school coach, but for someone to have that opportunity without any time as a coordinator is a big risk. Remember, Arroyo was a Coordinator for 7 years and an associate HC for one year at a major PAC12 program.

If we can't get a good P5 coach with some successful history OR a hot P5 coordinator, I'd listen to Williams as an option, but if that happens I know that we completely botched this--which is again another surprise.

Agree, however I wouldn't say they botched it if we end up with a coordinator or FCS coach necessarily.

If no phone calls were even made to guys like Patterson or Orgeron, that would be a sin.

If those type hirings don't happen because of UNLVs financial limitations, or the interest isn't reciprocal not sure what else they could do.

I mean I can see the upside with him but when you fire Arroyo after year 3 I was expecting a big upgrade. I do like him more than Arroyo but honestly he’s just another crapshoot. He can recruit but no idea if he’ll be a good HC.
Agreed. Plus, it's not the same recruiting top talent to play at USC as it is at UNLV. Hopefully this all gets worked out soon though, so the new staff can get on the recruiting trail and in the portal.

Reactions: bcvegaspt
Did you see the UtAh beat down of USC?

Huge PASS?

He will be on someone's radar as a coaching prospect.

Donte Williams who has more than a dozen years of experience coaching defensive backs and is regarded as one of the nation's top recruiters, remains on the USC staff in 2022 as defensive backs coach and defensive passing game coordinator after serving as the Trojans' interim head coach in 2021
So replace someone whose best attribute was recruiting and replace him with someone who best attribute is recruiting? Between that and hiring a position coach as your HC (shortly after hiring direct from high school) that would be as UNLV of a move as you can find.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT