ADVERTISEMENT

Doing the right thing!

TimothyC3

Rebel Legend
Gold Member
May 29, 2001
For me it wasn't about a Rice vs Howland. If that was the only issue I would think 90+% of the AD's around the country would hire Howland over Rice. In fact, if BH accomplished at UNLV what he did at UCLA (3 final 4's and conference championships) I would anticipate his number would be retired and in the rafters of the T&M. It comes down to whether CDR was given a fair shot and placed on notice when his contract was renegotiated that he was on the hot seat and his job was in jeapordy or was he lead to believe he could reboot and build for the future. At no point do I remember reading his job was in jeapordy prior to the last season. It wasn't the right thing to do to fire CDR just because BH expressed interest in the UNLV job!

Like many UNLV fans, I expected more from CDR. I anticipated by year 4 UNLV would be competing for the MWC championship and obtaining at-large ncaa bids. That hasn't happened for many reasons and mistakes were made along the way. But last season you could see growth in both the players and the staff. Just as important, the players are no dummies and they know whether they are properly coached and CDR did not appear lose the respect of his team. The team as a whole continued to play hard and compete. That was the key and gives me hope that CDR can get it done. However, getting it done is not based on CDR's vision for the UNLV basketball program. CDR has to get it done next year by competing at Maui and winning some games, key wins in the non-conference and competing for the MWC title. A at-large dance ticket is the standard upon which next years success or failures should be judged. Depending on next years results, the AD will have to re-assess and then decide to do the right thing for the UNLV basketbal program.

This post was edited on 3/20 12:09 PM by TimothyC3

This post was edited on 3/20 12:35 PM by TimothyC3

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News