ADVERTISEMENT

Does the offense wake up this week?

dcut03

Rebel Legend
Gold Member
Jun 16, 2011
Fresno state's defense has good numbers. Not sure how good they really are.
Just wondering if the rush attack gets some more chunk plays and if the passing game gets more efficient and effective.
Sluka is a warrior, but the offense has been a but underwhelming. I think it is key to our ceiling. If it gets closer to last year, combined with our improved defense then Mw championship and beyond really becomes a possibility. If it doesn't improve I think we are looking at a really good, but not a great year.

Just wondering if the rush attack gets some more chunk plays and if the passing game gets more efficient and effective.
Sluka is a warrior, but the offense has been a but underwhelming. I think it is key to our ceiling. If it gets closer to last year, combined with our improved defense then Mw championship and beyond really becomes a possibility. If it doesn't improve I think we are looking at a really good, but not a great year.
If we don't see an improvement this week then we probably are what we are. At this point if you haven't improved your offense over four games it probably ain't coming. I know Sluka got a late start, understanding a new offense etc but it isn't like we are running the run and shoot or something complicated.

They are REALLY aggressive on defense. Chunk plays, most likely won't be on the ground. I'm not talking about Sluka doing his magic on pass plays when no one is open. Designed runs will be necessary to free us up in the pass game or RPO/options plays, but Fresno is pretty good up front.
Yeah, I am not counting Sluka runs on broken play as chunk run plays, though technically they are. We have one break out traditional run play against FBS schools this year, and we didn't do great there against Dixie either.

Reactions: Boston Rebel 2
If we don't see an improvement this week then we probably are what we are. At this point if you haven't improved your offense over four games it probably ain't coming. I know Sluka got a late start, understanding a new offense etc but it isn't like we are running the run and shoot or something complicated.
It did take Maiava to open up the passing game last year. Similar situation, though I think Sluka had more time with the 1s than Maiava did last preseason.
I do think there is some room for improvement, but I doubt it changes drastically after this bye week.

Yeah, I am not counting Sluka runs on broken play as chunk run plays, though technically they are. We have one break out traditional run play against FBS schools this year, and we didn't do great there against Dixie either.
Yeah exactly I don't count broken plays either if it isn't by design then it doesn't mean your offense is better it means you got lucky or the defense screwed up. Or in Sluka's case he made a nice play.

Reactions: dcut03
It did take Maiava to open up the passing game last year. Similar situation, though I think Sluka had more time with the 1s than Maiava did last preseason.
I do think there is some room for improvement, but I doubt it changes drastically after this bye week.
If there is improvement it should be after the bye week for sure otherwise unlikely.

I forgot the rest of my post...

Mikey Keane is improved from last year but he can still be baited into really bad throws. They are a wide open offense. Pressure is key to get Mikey to make bad decisions. If we win the turnover battle I think we win the game. Catalan and Baldwin are primed for 2-3 Ints.

Anyone have word on McDuffie?

Do we know even what body part was injured. I have heard "lower extremity injury" which can obvisously be a lot. The way they have discussed it, it seems like he could return. It seems like they would say if it was season ending and he has had surgery.
Which means it could be a MCL which is usually 4-6 weeks depending on the grade of the sprain. It could be a major ankle sprain or a high ankle sprain which can take several weeks. I could also be a smaller fracture. Again no Idea. I haven't seen the injury and they have been purposefully vague.
Either way, I wouldn't expect him back this week.
I do think our LB depth has been very good and key to this season already. Powell has been good filling in.

Can Sluka get his arse in the friggin pocket? Not so much yet ….
Actually he throws better on the move so far. It is kinda backwards, but he tends to overthrow guys with his feet set.
Is it nerves or adrenaline? Is it timing? Who knows. You'd think that would improve, right?
Either way I would like to see incorporating more pass plays, perhaps RPO's, with him rolling to his right. That awkward cross body sling pass has been his best throw so far this year.

Mikey Keane is improved from last year but he can still be baited into really bad throws. They are a wide open offense. Pressure is key to get Mikey to make bad decisions. If we win the turnover battle I think we win the game. Catalan and Baldwin are primed for 2-3 Ints.

Game time decision according to Coach O. He just had press conference.

I hope so. I still think we eke out a win if the passing isn’t great.

Defense has been pretty steady to strong. A bad half vs Kansas. Other than that, strong.

Reactions: LVRebel2000

Get them into third and medium, we will win. They don’t convert well. But I feel it’s similar to Kansas … get some pressure, we will win.

Also, any word yet on Sherrod? Gilliam wasn’t strong filling in.

Get them into third and medium, we will win. They don’t convert well. But I feel it’s similar to Kansas … get some pressure, we will win.

Also, any word yet on Sherrod? Gilliam wasn’t strong filling in.
I'll volunteer to watch the Skipper press conference, I guess. He missed last week but I bet he'll be ready for Saturday. It sounded like Saturday was a precaution against a team they could beat in their sleep.

Reactions: LVRebel2000
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT