ADVERTISEMENT

Do what Villanova has done.

Sonny44

All American
Jan 23, 2010
Villanova, a perennial basketball contender and one time champion, has long had its football program in FCS. I believe UNLV would be far better off doing the same. Money saved from supporting an FBS football team could go to bolstering the BB program. UNLV once made its name in national BB annals, but the only way is to do what Villanova has done. I do not know if the MWC requires a member to also participate in football. If so, then not. But, I do know UNLV could once again become a national power in NCAA basketball.

A tough pill for Rebel football fans, but it's long past time to face reality. In that sense, the Big Sky Conference has facilities equal to the Fertitta Center, for example. Otherwise, after 30 yrs. or more, you are illustrating the symptoms of insanity.

Reactions: RebelSoldat
Haucks brother still salty he failed miserably and got fired a decade ago. Embarrassing!

Villanova, a perennial basketball contender and one time champion, has long had its football program in FCS. I believe UNLV would be far better off doing the same. Money saved from supporting an FBS football team could go to bolstering the BB program. UNLV once made its name in national BB annals, but the only way is to do what Villanova has done. I do not know if the MWC requires a member to also participate in football. If so, then not. But, I do know UNLV could once again become a national power in NCAA basketball.

A tough pill for Rebel football fans, but it's long past time to face reality. In that sense, the Big Sky Conference has facilities equal to the Fertitta Center, for example. Otherwise, after 30 yrs. or more, you are illustrating the symptoms of insanity.

Is it that time of the year where you post this already?

Dude nobody goes now. Even fewer will show up to see the Rebels play the likes of Sacramento State.

Either you go all in. Or shut the program down.

This has been discussed dozens of times on this board. Usually it revolves abound Gonzaga and the fact that they play BB and not Football - so why can't we do the same? But this discussion has inserted Villanova instead of Gonzaga. Doesn't really make a difference.

The Gonzaga conference (WCC) only allows religious affiliated schools so that's out for us. Big sky requires core members to participate in all sports but does allow some teams to participate as an affiliate - a possibility. The WAC allows teams to participate basketball only so it's an option for what you are proposing.

All of the possibilities would severely downgrade our basketball competition. Better to compete in football.

Either you go all in. Or shut the program down.
Seriously, it's insanity to continue this money pit. I agree, Bull, shut the program down. Put your nat'l title aspirations and resources into the BB program. I think it should seriously be brought up by UNLV for the Board of Regents. Really. I've been tuned into this board a long time & yr after yr I hear the same thing. Let UNLV be a national basketball contender. I don't think you'll feel too bad about that.

Seriously, it's insanity to continue this money pit. I agree, Bull, shut the program down. Put your nat'l title aspirations and resources into the BB program. I think it should seriously be brought up by UNLV for the Board of Regents. Really. I've been tuned into this board a long time & yr after yr I hear the same thing. Let UNLV be a national basketball contender. I don't think you'll feel too bad about that.
I get it. You can scream it from the rooftops. But what league does our National Contender play in? The Big West? The WAC? Back in Tark's day it was done. But the haves against the have nots is too much now. I'm Hoping when BYU goes BIG 12 Gonzaga may be let in the MWC.

Reactions: dcut03
Like you care about UNLV, hit the bricks you Hauck lackey!

Unlv with a big tv market and a city people want to go to should be strong in fball and hoop. Some beyond belief coaching hires have held them back in both sports.

UNLV BB can’t even win one game in the conference tourney and you think they are national championship caliber and to focus on BB, lol some UNLV peeps are delusional

UNLV BB can’t even win one game in the conference tourney and you think they are national championship caliber and to focus on BB, lol some UNLV peeps are delusional
this.

We last won an NCAAT game, when? 12+ years ago? And we last won (tied) for the conference tournament over 20 years ago. Any success has been fleeting and we are closer to Wyoming than SDSU.

LIGHT YEARS away.

this.

We last won an NCAAT game, when? 12+ years ago? And we last won (tied) for the conference tournament over 20 years ago. Any success has been fleeting and we are closer to Wyoming than SDSU.

LIGHT YEARS away.
Further than light years....I'd say many parsecs away!

Their drafting the crayola written draft of our invite in the Big 12 right now. We should be getting it by April 1st next year.

Shut both programs down.

nobody wants to watch unlv in a half empty stadium or at the empty Mack.

and that goes for both sports.

we have become DePaul, Sac State.

The city doesn’t care about UNLV sports.

We got our football team, it’s called the Raiders.

It’s been a long time coming.

We’re dead in the water in both sports.

It’s a sad situation watching your sports team die a slow death.

Reactions: rickyb55
95% of those living in this city are not going to pay the price it cost to buy Raider tickets. From what I have seen they have more than doubled season ticket sales for UNLV football over the last 3 years even taken into consideration how few games they won. I expect if they could start winning games those numbers would go up a lot more.

2 things that are important in this.

First, and probably the most important, is having a place to play. You would have to significantly downgrade conference affiliation ( yes it is possible to the MW haters) and it would absolutely sack the basketball program as well. Having a football program is a required barrier to entry for any half way meaningful basketball program, at least for a large state school on the west coast.

The second thing, it's already too late. You don't spend all the money and energy in building the Ferrtitta complex just to cancel football. It is a slap in the face to all of those who donated, and that is something you cannot afford to do.

Reactions: 76RunninRebel
2 things that are important in this.

First, and probably the most important, is having a place to play. You would have to significantly downgrade conference affiliation ( yes it is possible to the MW haters) and it would absolutely sack the basketball program as well. Having a football program is a required barrier to entry for any half way meaningful basketball program, at least for a large state school on the west coast.

The second thing, it's already too late. You don't spend all the money and energy in building the Ferrtitta complex just to cancel football. It is a slap in the face to all of those who donated, and that is something you cannot afford to do.

What? You don't want to watch UNLV play The Universty of San Loser Abysmal or Sacramento Career Tech?

Basketball played on courts that keep the volleyball lines on them rules.

You either keep all sports at the level we are at and try to find a way to improve the football/baskeball teams and move into a major conference, or you get rid of the entire athletic department. There is no reason to spends 10's of millions on athletics to keep all the non-revenue sports going if the basketball and football team are going to play in a lower division in front of 3-5K fans.

Reactions: WarthogRebel
I wish Creek was here. Professor Creek. Die hard UNLV sports fan and anti Maxson during the Maxson's era. Poetic and level headed. He would have wrote something beautiful for you all to read. Early Rebel-Net was beautiful. Now I have to read your diatribes about this and that even without reasoning.

Reactions: RebelScrub
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT