ADVERTISEMENT

DC prospect speculation

BleedRebelRed90

All American
Oct 10, 2013
It's been pretty quiet since Baer's departure.

The only prospects I've heard mentioned...
Tim Skipper
Tony Samuel, current D-Line coach
The mystery candidate Arrigo refers to below

Anybody got any other names?

Joe Arrigo‏@joearrigo Jan 4
U of Florida LB coach Tim Skipper is no longer apart of Dan Mullen’s staff. He is one of 2 men that I feel would be a great fits for the #UNLVfb DC job. Skipper & the other person (who I’ll remain nameless out of respect for him) would be OUTSTANDING hires for @UNLVSanchez

This guy has some suggestions:

QykPick‏@QykPick 26 Nov 2017

How about Ron Cooper who was the DC at UNLV in 1990 for a year and now the secondary coach at Texas A&M? I would even go after Trent Bray the linebackers coach and interim HC at Nebraska who has West Coast experience.

QykPick‏@QykPick 26 Nov 2017

Coaches who could be the next DC for UNLV should Sanchez stay: Leon Lett, has connections to UNLV and currently the DL coach for Cowboys Andre Patterson former coach for UNLV and current DL coach for Vikings Cesar Rivas-Sandoval at Auzsa Pacific, great recruiter

Razorback fans thinking Skipper may be headed to Fayetteville:

Hawg Life
xx.gif

Tim Skipper
« on: January 06, 2018, 11:43:45 am »

Rumored to be 10th coach and that would complete the staff.

I believe all Arkansas assistants named. Skipper not among named.
I haven't found anywhere that indicates the staff is completed and haven't counted 10 anywhere yet, but as it relates to Tim Skipper/Arkansas... looks like Arkansas DC/LB is former A&M DC/LB John Chavis.

Reactions: bcvegaspt
From FootballScoop:
Arkansas: The final members of Chad Morris’ defensive staff has been finalized and will consist of Steve Caldwell (DL), Ron Cooper (secondary), John Scott Jr. (DL), Mark Smith (secondary).

This is a huge hire and I really hope we get the right man in here. If we have a 10% improvement on D we go bowling and have a good chance of MW championship. ... And if we get a solid D letting up half the points we averaged... Dear God!... something none of us long time fans have ever seen.

UNLV Football under Coaches Ireland, Meyer, and Knapp was very entertaining, as well as competitive.
The Defensive Cordinator is a big hire. I hope Coach Sanchez gets it right.
A little UNLV trivia: When Coach Knapp retired he lobbied for his young wide receiver coach together the job. As often happens at UNLV we passed on Coach Knapp’s pick and went with Harvey Hyde.. So our wide fecievercoach went to unr. I failed to mention his name Chris Ault

UNLV Football under Coaches Ireland, Meyer, and Knapp was very entertaining, as well as competitive.
The Defensive Cordinator is a big hire. I hope Coach Sanchez gets it right.
A little UNLV trivia: When Coach Knapp retired he lobbied for his young wide receiver coach together the job. As often happens at UNLV we passed on Coach Knapp’s pick and went with Harvey Hyde.. So our wide fecievercoach went to unr. I failed to mention his name Chris Ault

That was huge but 20/20 hind sight.

We still need to worry how many of the couching staff may get pouched by the big school due to the additional coaching position.

Let's go ahead and assume Skipper has been the top candidate all along. (No idea)

Baer was fired a week after season. Rumor has it the decision had been made a week or two prior.

So Sanchez already had to be putting feelers out there.

Let's further assume Sanchez contacted Skipper in early December offering him or saying he was considering him for the DC job.

At this time Dan Mullen was reported to have asked Skipper to remain on his staff through early recruiting period. Skipper accepted.

So our top candidate for the DC job told Coach Sanchez 'Yeah, I'm interested, but I need to stay here through the crucial early recruiting period' and Sanchez said 'Yeah sure, that's cool. I only have to replace my top two DTs and fix the 117th ranked defense in the country, but sure, stay at Florida for another few weeks so I am left shorthanded during early recruiting.' (Maybe there was a clause in Skippers contract that required him to stay, or a buyout UNLV didn't want to pay. I don't know)

Next rumors start Skipper is possibly going to Arkansas, (True or not I don't know) to be a position coach. Rumors strong enough though they pop up on Arkansas messages boards, and Arrigo tweets he is going to Arkansas, and is no longer in the picture.

Only to tweet a day later that things fell through at winter coaches meetings. Skipper is not going to Arkansas and is still in play. (Possible, I don't know)

So if that timeline is correct:

1) This doesn't sound like a dude eager to come here. He was linked to a position coaching job vs being a top candidate for our DC job.. Obviously money comes into play, but a successful stint as a DC seems like a quicker path to bigger things than 10th assistant at Arkansas.

2) Sanchez would really have to believe Skipper was the answer to his woes on defense, for him to be ok with:

Skipper staying on at Florida for early recruiting and then be tied to another lesser job position at Arkansas (although probably higher paying).

I don't know if that is how it is/did play out, but it doesn't sound right. (Again no idea, one way or another).

Reactions: dcut03 and s89103
Maybe Skipper ISN'T the top candidate for the job in Sanchez's mind. That make the most sense to me.

Sanchez told Cofield this afternoon to expect the new DC to be introduced in the next 4-7 days, so between Tuesday and Friday of next week. Also he mentioned:
  • Two candidates would be visiting this weekend
  • Two candidates had been interviewed this past week, and a couple prior to that, so it sounds like about 6 guys have been considered.
The confidence that he had in an announcement next week implies that if neither of the guys visiting this weekend pan out, he is ready to hire one of those that already interviewed.

Sanchez told Cofield this afternoon to expect the new DC to be introduced in the next 4-7 days, so between Tuesday and Friday of next week. Also he mentioned:
  • Two candidates would be visiting this weekend
  • Two candidates had been interviewed this past week, and a couple prior to that, so it sounds like about 6 guys have been considered.
The confidence that he had in an announcement next week implies that if neither of the guys visiting this weekend pan out, he is ready to hire one of those that already interviewed.

Full audio, Sanchez talks about the recent coach's conference and talking to people starting about 2:20:
http://www.lvsportsnetwork.com/2018...es-his-method-to-hiring-dc-on-espn-las-vegas/

At 4:00 it gets specific about the DC position. Sanchez: "I'm down to a couple of guys. There's about four guys I've talked to... I've met with more than that."

Also on the right fit at DC: "We're looking to get better in the red zone. We're looking to get better at pressuring the QB. We're looking to get better at creating turnovers. We're looking to get better on 3rd down.... It's not about total yards anymore... it's about being better at situational defense."

At 6:15 on coach matching current personnel or roster adjusting... Sanchez implies that the roster is more flexible now with faster LBs and more versatile "hybrid" DEs. He kind of lost me when he started talking quickly about 30-front, 40-front, and multiple defenses.

Adam Hill diverted the discussion to the Alabama/Georgia game... at least it wasn't the Buffalo game this time.

Last edited:
Full audio, Sanchez talks about the recent coach's conference and talking to people starting about 2:20:
http://www.lvsportsnetwork.com/2018...es-his-method-to-hiring-dc-on-espn-las-vegas/

At 4:00 it gets specific about the DC position. Sanchez: "I'm down to a couple of guys. There's about four guys I've talked to... I've met with more than that."

Also on the right fit at DC: "We're looking to get better in the red zone. We're looking to get better at pressuring the QB. We're looking to get better at creating turnovers. We're looking to get better on 3rd down.... It's not about total yards anymore... it's about being better at situational defense."

At 6:15 on coach matching current personnel or roster adjusting... Sanchez implies that the roster is more flexible now with faster LBs and more versatile "hybrid" DEs. He kind of lost me when he started talking quickly about 30-front, 40-front, and multiple defenses.

Adam Hill diverted the discussion to the Alabama/Georgia game... at least it wasn't the Buffalo game this time.

Thanks much Bro Man. Can't wait until next week!

Of all the ground they covered in this interview, I found it amazing that there was not one peep uttered about the new football facility. Could another 6-month delay be in the offing? Sure the hell hope not!

Of all the ground they covered in this interview, I found it amazing that there was not one peep uttered about the new football facility. Could another 6-month delay be in the offing? Sure the hell hope not!

Coach Sanchez actually did mention the groundbreaking of the new practice facility at about the 15 min mark, but there were no follow-up questions... the ESPN guys were more interested in getting Tony's take on the Raiders hiring Gruden.

In general the amount of hype for the practice facility has really decreased, but it will go on thanks to the football program having to go "hat-in-hand" to the regents in September for approval of bank financing to fund the start of construction (since less than $7M of pledged money had actually been received). Two regents voted against it. In November the program was chastised when they went to the regents to get approval to name it after "Fertitta", long after they had started referring to it as that. The groundbreaking next week will not be open to the public.

.... I would even go after Trent Bray the linebackers coach and interim HC at Nebraska who has West Coast experience....
Oh God please no on Trent Bray. Great recruiter. Solid guy. Coaches LBers OK but he's not ready to be a DC.

Patience everyone, the coaching harvest isn't close to being done yet.

Last edited:
Oh God please no on Trey Bray. Great recruiter. Solid guy. Coaches LBers OK but he's not ready to be a DC.

Patience everyone, the coaching harvest isn't close to being done yet.
So you’re saying that the Jags advancing is slowing down our announcement for our next hire? I’m not sure I want someone who gives up 42 to Pittsburgh.

(Sarcasm totally intended)

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT