ADVERTISEMENT

credit when credit is due

Lvreb86

National Player of the Year
Feb 6, 2010
and it isn't this recruiting class, its god awful i'm going off of who our commits have been offered by and i swear the common team we seem to beat out is Adams St. Only 1 of our Commits have been offered by a P5 school and he was only offered by Va Tech. Extremely disappointed going from top 3 in the MW in recruiting to what should be last.

Maybe just maybe. And this is a wild idea. The coaching staff knows what they're doing. There's a couple kids like Noah Bean and Jamaal Neal that have signed so far who you're going to be talking about this time next year, kid's can play. I think the staff has done a great job so far. They still have 7 or 8 spots to fill and a lot of our big recruits last year (Armani Rogers, Mekhi Stevenson, etc.) didn't come until January. We weren't a top 3 class until then, So hang tight.

and it isn't this recruiting class, its god awful i'm going off of who our commits have been offered by and i swear the common team we seem to beat out is Adams St. Only 1 of our Commits have been offered by a P5 school and he was only offered by Va Tech. Extremely disappointed going from top 3 in the MW in recruiting to what should be last.

They have 8-9 more offers to give.

Until the practice facility is completed its going to be a struggle.

Simply put what the hell do we have to offer?

Our best player on defense last year was a walk on in Tau. Boyd our best WR had very little interest from 'bigger' schools. Will Kreitler our best OL guy the last two years was a JC transfer with few offers.

3* Defensive end Anthony Luke is still in the mix. Also a very good looking DB is rumored to be coming as well.

I give zero crap about * grades. They didn't amount to a hill of beans for us in basketball.

A lot of the higher rated players from last years class didn't even play and were red shirted (Tate, Tatum, Rogers)

I think more important is do the guys fit what the coaches want to do. Air Force doesn't pull in many 3* guys but they are pretty competitive every year because they find guys that fit their system.

i don't care about star grades either, i go based off of what other schools have offered them. They're the pro's they know what they're doing so a guy could have 2 stars but offered by 4 or 5 P5 schools obviously that player is going to be a good one. You look at who's offered the guys who are committed we are the best team on all there lists. Thats what scares me. It would be awesome to land a couple good players late but these guys are where we are supposed to be building depth a bunch of players who would be going to Adams St if we didn't offer doesn't exactly get me fired especially after the way we ended the season.

i don't care about star grades either, i go based off of what other schools have offered them. They're the pro's they know what they're doing so a guy could have 2 stars but offered by 4 or 5 P5 schools obviously that player is going to be a good one. You look at who's offered the guys who are committed we are the best team on all there lists. Thats what scares me. It would be awesome to land a couple good players late but these guys are where we are supposed to be building depth a bunch of players who would be going to Adams St if we didn't offer doesn't exactly get me fired especially after the way we ended the season.
Wait for the finished product and stop worrying about what other schools are doing let our coaches do their job. Rankings by bloggers is the equivalent of grading your NFL draft the day after. You don't know until year 3.

It's not for a lack of effort. Staff has been going after some really good guys, and the ones that have better offers more often than not are going to take them. UNLV is just not there yet. Staff has my respect and support regardless, they've been busting their asses off.

Holy shyte, we are still two months out of national signing day. In the past, we'd only have a couple signees by now.

Give the staff a little more credit and patience. In the end, this class may not have the star 'score' but the class will be filled with definite players.

I expected a slight decline in overall stars considering that Rebs finished with only slight improvement in win column.

Nonetheless, so far I'm happy with recruiting and signees. Staff looks to be 'this close' with several 3 star recruits before a P5 disrupts the process. We are going to win some and lose some. We'll see.

We're going to need to grab some high profile JUCO's to fill the defensive holes and recruit good kids who can be developed.

The coaching staff has already shown that they are going after really good players and the rest of the football world is taking notice of who they are recruiting. It is amazing how many 2* players UNLV has gone after early that have turned into 3* players 6 months later when everyone else gets on board. UNLV is showing improvement, but we will have a hard time keeping these players until UNLV has better facilities and when UNLV starts to get into bowl games. UNLV has shown improvement each of the last years, but I do agree that this year was a disappointment. Next year is a very important year for UNLV to qualify for a bowl game!

The fact that UNLV lost the QB and the first 4 receivers didn't make things any easier.

Next year we will have the best group of receivers and backs returning in regards to quality and depth that I have ever seen for UNLV.

Next year UNLV should have the new training facility under construction.

Next year UNLV will have the best depth and seniority that I have seen at UNLV in several years.

Hopefully, next year Las Vegas will have a new Oakland/UNLV stadium design/construction underway.

They're the pro's they know what they're doing so a guy could have 2 stars but offered by 4 or 5 P5 schools obviously that player is going to be a good one.
What do you mean obviously? There are very few "obviously-s" every season and NONE of them are coming here or to the Mtn West.

...and what does "ONLY VaTech" mean? You mean the VaTech who was in the ACC championship game? Yeah, they are a horrible program.

Signing day isn't until February. These are verbals and JUCOs. UNLV can and will thrive (for now) in those 2* and 3* players who find out in January that their verbal to a P5 school has been overrecruited by better talent and they are looking for a place to get time at a young age. I think we will be fine in the MWC.

Yes there is some truth to what you are saying. Nobody is happy with how the season ended.

There are 8-10 spots left for this class maybe more with possible transfers and guys leaving the team.

Until there are shovels in the ground for the practice facility it is going to be difficult to attract top end talent. Therefore we have to trust the staff to find guys that are under the radar or fit what they want to do on offense or defense. Its the reality of where the program is unfortunately.

...and what does "ONLY VaTech" mean? You mean the VaTech who was in the ACC championship game? Yeah, they are a horrible program.

Signing day isn't until February. These are verbals and JUCOs. UNLV can and will thrive (for now) in those 2* and 3* players who find out in January that their verbal to a P5 school has been overrecruited by better talent and they are looking for a place to get time at a young age. I think we will be fine in the MWC.

Ding, ding, ding...

One more thing that came to mind after I read this....recruiting in NCAAfb is a 4-5 year block. The players from our top 3 MWC class didn't suddenly leave after this season. They're still here. They're young. They'll continue to improve. Finding depth on the defensive side of the ball was a must and I think the staff is doing that. Armani was a major reason for our "top 3" class last season. He will, potentially, make a huge impact on next season. Again. We will be fine in the MWC.

Reactions: mvvsmith
Can't compare the "star system" in football to what you expect to see in basketball. It's a whole different thing altogether. Significantly different.

Reactions: Bullmastiff 1
To say that the star system is meaningless is stupid. If Alabama had the same level recruiting rankings that we did, they would have zero expectations.

Our Commits so Far: (As for the Adams State offers, lots of formal UNLV staffers work there and work Vegas a lot)

Tariq Hollandsworth – RB- Other Offers- Boise State , Hawaii

Jamaal Neal – TE/H- Other Offers Fresno State , In Home Visit from Wyoming

Farrell Hester- MLB- Other Offers Adams State

Ashton Morgan – OL- Other Offers San Jose State

Johnny Balderas- Cornerback- Other Offers Fresno State

Markell Grayson – QB/ATH- Committed early and was injured first game of senior year probably limiting offers

Jacob Rominger- LB (JUCO MID YEAR) Other Offers- Louisiana Rajun Cajuns

Nate Neal- DE- Other Offers -Montana State, Sacramento State

Noah Bean- TE- Other Offers- Montana State, Northern Colorado (According to Scout, interest from WYO, Hawaii, WSU

Sid Acosta – C (JUCO MID YEAR)- Other Offers- FAU, Texas Southern , Official Visit to New Mexico

Greg Francis – Safety- Other Offers Navy, NAU, Idaho , Weber State, Adams State

Roger Mann- DE (JUCO MID YEAR)-

Demetrious Gibbs Safety (JUCO MID Year)-

Devin Lloyd- Safety - Other Offers Montana State, Hawaii, Portland State, SJSU, CSU , Utah State, Sac St.

To say that the star system is meaningless is stupid. If Alabama had the same level recruiting rankings that we did, they would have zero expectations.

Nobody is saying the star system is 'meaningless'.

When we are talking about conferences like the MW the number of * becomes less important than finding the players that best fit your system. Why? Because the MW is littered with 2/3* guys. Can you really tell me, you or those services can accurately grade the 100s of 2/3* guys out there. Its impossible.

Nobody is talking about the top 300 player rankings, because the MW doesn't get a lot of those players.

Yes the star system is nice for conversation and helps in prognostication. However it is an inexact science.

The gap between 2-3 * players is pretty small and in a lot of cases there isn't one.

Reactions: XFactorRebel

I didn't say it was meaningless, just different. You don't have to have top 20 guys to create a decent roster, there are many many many more prospects and much smaller gaps in talent vs BB.

Other factors to consider when looking at the star system for football (opposed to basketball)

Basketball is a year round sport with AAU being a the biggest factor in the star system. Players from all over the country get to play each other (granted the style of play, especially defense, is not a great indication of college basketball)

Football has the HS season, mostly against local teams unless you happen to be out a Gorman type of team, and with camps put on by colleges. That's it. Much more difficult to assess how someone will be.

Also, the biggest factor is the physicality of the game and the physical maturity of a player. College football is a man's game and the majority of recruits are still boys in terms of physical maturity.

Some guys mature early and they are beasts in HS but become less impactful once other guys catch up.

Some guys are excellent football players but have a genetic limit on how strong/fast that they become and don't have a good position at the next level.

Some guys are very athletic but are bad with the mental aspect of the game and never "get it"

Other factors to consider when looking at the star system for football (opposed to basketball)

Basketball is a year round sport with AAU being a the biggest factor in the star system. Players from all over the country get to play each other (granted the style of play, especially defense, is not a great indication of college basketball)

Football has the HS season, mostly against local teams unless you happen to be out a Gorman type of team, and with camps put on by colleges. That's it. Much more difficult to assess how someone will be.

Also, the biggest factor is the physicality of the game and the physical maturity of a player. College football is a man's game and the majority of recruits are still boys in terms of physical maturity.

Some guys mature early and they are beasts in HS but become less impactful once other guys catch up.

Some guys are excellent football players but have a genetic limit on how strong/fast that they become and don't have a good position at the next level.

Some guys are very athletic but are bad with the mental aspect of the game and never "get it"

This....

..... Extremely disappointed going from top 3 in the MW in recruiting to what should be last.
Oh for God's sake. We are currently tied for 4th in the MWC with the current commits. No way are we going to end up last. Just look at the current rankings:
1. Boise with 16 commits. I doubt we can catch them but it's not impossible.
2. CSU with 18 commits. We definitely "can" catch and pass them.
3. SDSU with 14 commits. They will very likely challenge for the #1 spot considering who they have lined up.
4. [tie] Fresno with 17 commits. We can pass them easily.
4. [tie] UNLV with 14 commits.
6. AFA with 26 commits. They are done and will drop from here on out.
7. [tie] Hawaii with only 7 commits and they are losing their best local offers left and right to P5 programs. Not likely that they catch us.
7. [tie] NV with only 8 commits. Jay Norvel is a great recruiter but he has a ton of work to do in order to catch us.
7. [tie] WYO with 16 commits. They are way behind us with two more commits and Coach Bohl is only looking to add 3 more. Those three would likely need to be 4 stars to pass us.
10, [tie] NM with 8 commits. They are in on some very good ones. Wouldn't surprise me to see them catch us.
10. [tie] SJSU with 6 commits. They have a long way to go without a lot of big offers.
12. USU with 4 commits. Very long way to go to catch us.

So we aren't going to end up last.

If we had won more games, then we would be challenging for the Top spot but there's no need crying over spilled milk. Facilities and winning are needed in order for us to challenge the P5 schools in recruiting. Stay the course because both are ahead of us in this journey.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT