ADVERTISEMENT

Crazy Thought this morning...

dcut03

Rebel Legend
Gold Member
Jun 16, 2011
Could Armani be our Josh Allen?

I watched Allen in college, but not a ton. I've been reading a lot of the scouting reports for him for the combine and those reports reminded me of Rogers. Good size, speed, has a strong arm, questionable accuracy and decision making.

Armani is a better runner, and Allen likely is better at extending plays for the pass.

But Armani has 2-3 more seasons to develop, and has a pretty high ceiling.

Imagine if Rogers was a first round QB coming out of UNLV.. It would be right around the new stadium opening and the new practice facility be operational.

How much of a recruiting chip could that be? It would be Yuuuuge!

I know, I know, Armani has a long way to go to get to that point. Premature thinking right now for sure, I just thought with the draft last night and the Allen pick got me thinking...

Reactions: 530Rebel
Armani has some competition with the transfers. Better competition in practice makes for better game outcomes. I like it. Noticed the linemen are getting bigger, now, are they fast enough. Looking forward to next season. Penny goes to Hawks. What do you think?

Penny is a good player, and I think he could be a good pro, but any RB is a tough sell in the first round. Definitely a reach

Could Armani be our Josh Allen?

I watched Allen in college, but not a ton. I've been reading a lot of the scouting reports for him for the combine and those reports reminded me of Rogers. Good size, speed, has a strong arm, questionable accuracy and decision making.

Armani is a better runner, and Allen likely is better at extending plays for the pass.

But Armani has 2-3 more seasons to develop, and has a pretty high ceiling.

Imagine if Rogers was a first round QB coming out of UNLV.. It would be right around the new stadium opening and the new practice facility be operational.

How much of a recruiting chip could that be? It would be Yuuuuge!

I know, I know, Armani has a long way to go to get to that point. Premature thinking right now for sure, I just thought with the draft last night and the Allen pick got me thinking...
I think you're on to something maybe not Josh Allen mold I would say more like Kapernick. I think he only started 8 games maybe 9 but he missed some due to concussion. If he stays healthy and holds off the competition he has the possibility to make 36 more starts before graduating. Thats a lot of games to improve and maintain consistency if we keep the same coaching staff the potential is there. Moreover, K Oblad if he waits his turn now you have a system in place it could happen.

While a lot of people are already on the internet asking to get rid of the coach, I fully expect UNLV will be in a bowl game next season. They still have a long ways to go to become a good team, but compared to those teams that won 2 games a year, they have gone a long ways already!

I think you're on to something maybe not Josh Allen mold I would say more like Kapernick. I think he only started 8 games maybe 9 but he missed some due to concussion. If he stays healthy and holds off the competition he has the possibility to make 36 more starts before graduating. Thats a lot of games to improve and maintain consistency if we keep the same coaching staff the potential is there. Moreover, K Oblad if he waits his turn now you have a system in place it could happen.

Kap is a pretty good comp, I do think in some ways Armani is ahead of where Kap was at this stage of their careers.

I mentioned Allen just because they have similar strengths and weaknesses and he was a top 5 pick.

The thought of a first round UNLV QB would just be awesome, especially right around a brand spanking new stadium and a pretty new practice facility.

Comparing freshman seasons

Kaep 53.8% 2175 yards 19 td 3 int (593 yard 6 tds rushing)

Armani 52.4% 1471 yards 6 tds 5 int (780 yards 8 tds rushing)

Armani has a ways to develop as a passer but hopefully he make a huge leap as a sophomore.

I hope he does. O line not injured will help, and other qb's will have a chance to perform also. I think we are deep at qb in terms of potential. Now if the defense improves to 21 ppg, we have a chance to be very competitive.

If we can stop an opponents drive on third down ONE TIME we would be a pretty good team IMO.

Tackle!
Forcing punts now and again would be nice, turnovers even better. I think the offense can do enough to ensure .500+ but the defense.... yikes. Well, new blood, new eyes and new teaching. Hoping for major improvement.

The good news is that if the defense foes from the doldrums to even below average, the team will be significantly better.

Nearly everyone on offense is returning. The biggest impact loss is Boyd, who had a shaky senior season.

Early reports on the new DC and the defense have been promising. Hopefully we see it on the field.

The good news is that if the defense foes from the doldrums to even below average, the team will be significantly better.

Nearly everyone on offense is returning. The biggest impact loss is Boyd, who had a shaky senior season.

Early reports on the new DC and the defense have been promising. Hopefully we see it on the field.
Sorry, but as far as UNLV goes, Boyd was the most over-rated we’ve had. I don’t think his loss will be as some think.

I take it back, Straiten was the most overrated. And Boyd was good, but in spite of really gaudy career UNLV stats, he’s nowhere near the top UNLV receivers in history. Dude wasn’t reliable.

Sorry, but as far as UNLV goes, Boyd was the most over-rated we’ve had. I don’t think his loss will be as some think.

I take it back, Straiten was the most overrated. And Boyd was good, but in spite of really gaudy career UNLV stats, he’s nowhere near the top UNLV receivers in history. Dude wasn’t reliable.

I fully agree. He put his best number up as a #2 when Deonte Davis was our #1. Davis was much more reliable.

Boyd put up numbers. You can't argue against numbers. But you're right. Davis, Payne, Johnson, Wolfe, Turner, all more reliable

I fully agree. He put his best number up as a #2 when Deonte Davis was our #1. Davis was much more reliable.

Boyd put up numbers. You can't argue against numbers. But you're right. Davis, Payne, Johnson, Wolfe, Turner, all more reliable
Even Flair. Certainly Bailey, probably Damon Williams, McCardell, Earvin J, and Gatewood. That’s top of head.

Boyd more limited by the quarterbacks than by his personal talent his last two seasons.
Stanton had the top two passing yards totals in his three starts. Rodgers top 200 passing yards just 3 times in 7 starts.
It was a bad year to be a reciever last year though the year prior Palandech was the had the most starts.
This season the team needs a player to step forward in the primary role as Rogers will be more experienced but lacks a go-to guy that teams have to respect entering the season.
The one thing about Boyd was that every knew he was a big play threat

Boyd more limited by the quarterbacks than by his personal talent his last two seasons.
Stanton had the top two passing yards totals in his three starts. Rodgers top 200 passing yards just 3 times in 7 starts.
It was a bad year to be a reciever last year though the year prior Palandech was the had the most starts.
This season the team needs a player to step forward in the primary role as Rogers will be more experienced but lacks a go-to guy that teams have to respect entering the season.
The one thing about Boyd was that every knew he was a big play threat

That's all fine and dandy, but Boyd seem to disappear in clutch situations, and had key drops on important downs. And it's not like he had trash opposite of him. He has had a pretty good WR corps his entire career.

On the roster, no one has had been a clear number one, but guys have had good camps. Keys is proven. Pressley, Woods, and Techman all have had a good spring camp and have shown some things in their careers. I don't think the WR will be a problem this year. If anything it could be pretty balanced.

Pressley looks to be a deep threat, Woods a possession WR, Techman could be a reliable target. Keys has been struggling to be healthy, but we know how good he can be.

That's all fine and dandy, but Boyd seem to disappear in clutch situations, and had key drops on important downs. And it's not like he had trash opposite of him. He has had a pretty good WR corps his entire career.

On the roster, no one has had been a clear number one, but guys have had good camps. Keys is proven. Pressley, Woods, and Techman all have had a good spring camp and have shown some things in their careers. I don't think the WR will be a problem this year. If anything it could be pretty balanced.

Pressley looks to be a deep threat, Woods a possession WR, Techman could be a reliable target. Keys has been struggling to be healthy, but we know how good he can be.
What sticks out in my mind are three things - several key third down drops that were easy catches.... he got extremely soft when he went over the middle.... and on the tougher catches but catches a very good receiver makes most of the time, he came up way short.

I’m not saying he was bad. He’s a good receiver. But on the type of team you want, he’s probably your third best, not top.

He failed to develop each year. I thought his up side was scary as a freshman. Oh well.
Had several convos about this and always came back to, "he's spending more time reading his press clippings - and believing them - than working on his game." Dude had it all in front of him and, apparently, didn't do the work. That lack of focus seems to, perhaps, at least partially explain his propensity for the head-scratching drops that plagued him during his time here.

I would say frustration and being to anxious whenever the opportunity to make a play when plays came along

Primary starter 2016 was Palendech who completed 50.5% 647 yards with 5 scores in 11 games
Primary starter in 2017 Rogers completed 52.7% 1471 yards 6 tds in 10 games

For a big play receiver hoping to get to the NFL, having to play in a low percentage passing attack would make you over compensate at times.
Boyd got signed by the Bengals for a reason, the only thing I feel is he would have been better served adding more muscle the last two years.

I would say frustration and being to anxious whenever the opportunity to make a play when plays came along

Primary starter 2016 was Palendech who completed 50.5% 647 yards with 5 scores in 11 games
Primary starter in 2017 Rogers completed 52.7% 1471 yards 6 tds in 10 games

For a big play receiver hoping to get to the NFL, having to play in a low percentage passing attack would make you over compensate at times.
Boyd got signed by the Bengals for a reason, the only thing I feel is he would have been better served adding more muscle the last two years.
I can understand pressing too much.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT