ADVERTISEMENT

Coordinator Hires?

LocoRebel

Retired Number
Apr 7, 2011
Anything on the rumor mill regarding offensive or defensive coordinator position vacancies?

Spring ball starting March 29, 5 weeks away. Gotta imagine those announcements come soon as we approach installs....

As far as Spring ball goes, I’d think the DC is much more important to have in place considering the amount of time Arroyo spends on offense. I don’t think Thomas was named OC until almost May last year, so don’t think they’ll be in a huge hurry on that side of the ball...And yes, would love for Hunkie Cooper to be considered for OC. Dream scenario (realistic) would be Keenan McCardell depending on if he’s retained by O’Connell in Minnesota, just not sure we could pay him enough and would have to figure out who coaches QBs and what to do with Krause.

Last edited:
Keenan is the only assistant retained from the previous Vikings staff. They're really impressed with his work with Jefferson and Osburn, who came on strong later in the season.

The Daily Norseman

Reactions: Bullmastiff 1
Keenan is the only assistant retained from the previous Vikings staff. They're really impressed with his work with Jefferson and Osburn, who came on strong later in the season.

The Daily Norseman
Yeah. He’s been pretty good everywhere really. Even at Maryland he helped develop Stefon Diggs. I just hope he gets the opportunity to advance (if he wants) and not get type cast as a WR only coach. It would have been a tough fit anyway and I’m sure he makes more $ in the NFL. Would be nice to get a former Rebel coaching at the program and with Steichen and Scott Turner currently NFL OCs, it really only leaves Cooper and McCardell as the only semi realistic options.

Reactions: LVRebel2000
OC has been found. Onto the DC. I heard it’s going to be Bellichek. Just waiting for him to retire from the Pats.

• Haha
I'd love for them to go grab Rocky Long. Dont see it happening, unfortunately

He's in New Mexico helping Danny Gonzales..

That was the move Sanford should have made years ago...

Honestly think if he could have grabbed Long even for two years those two 5-7 teams probably go bowling and he would have gotten those new lockerooms.

(Maybe one year, not sure what year Long was let go by UNM)...

He's in New Mexico helping Danny Gonzales..
Loyalty aside, I can't help but think UNLV could come up with money. Gonzales makes what $400k?... just googled it: 250k first year, 300k second year.

Ah yes, Sanford would have been a happy man here if he had gotten those upgrades! 😂

Reactions: Bullmastiff 1
Loyalty aside, I can't help but think UNLV could come up with money. Gonzales makes what $400k?... just googled it: 250k first year, 300k second year.

Ah yes, Sanford would have been a happy man here if he had gotten those upgrades! 😂

Long close to retirement I think. Just doing his guy Danny a solid and helping him out.

Reactions: LocoRebel
Wonder how much Kurt Mattix makes at San Diego St? Would be fantastic, but probably unrealistic. Not sure, but don’t think Bob Gregory (Washington DC/interim coach) has found a new job yet, though not sure he would be interested either. Glenn Spencer is someone I could see as a possibility. He was DC while Arroyo was on staff at Oklahoma St and is currently LB coach at Wake Forrest. Not too exciting as he was let go from a couple of DC jobs, but had a couple of years of coordinating top defenses too.

A couple of more connections I could see as a possibility.
Jim Leavitt - Former HC and was DC at Oregon while Arroyo was there.
Keith Hayward - OLB coach at Cal. Was Co-DC at Oregon.
Kenwick Thompson - current Assoc HC/LBs. Of course if Arroyo was going to promote from within, I’m sure it would have been done already. Only way I could still see this happening is if he strikes out on his Plan A guys.

Of course it’s impossible to know all of the connections Arroyo has or what his plan of action is. Just hope that whomever it is , they can build on the Hansen’s 2021 success.

Last edited:
Wonder how much Kurt Mattix makes at San Diego St? Would be fantastic, but probably unrealistic. Not sure, but don’t think Bob Gregory (Washington DC/interim coach) has found a new job yet, though not sure he would be interested either. Glenn Spencer is someone I could see as a possibility. He was DC while Arroyo was on staff at Oklahoma St and is currently LB coach at Wake Forrest. Not too exciting as he was let go from a couple of DC jobs, but had a couple of years of coordinating top defenses too.

A couple of more connections I could see as a possibility.
Jim Leavitt - Former HC and was DC at Oregon while Arroyo was there.
Keith Hayward - OLB coach at Cal. Was Co-DC at Oregon.
Kenwick Thompson - current Assoc HC/LBs. Of course if Arroyo was going to promote from within, I’m sure it would have been done already. Only way I could still see this happening is if he strikes out on his Plan A guys.

Of course it’s impossible to know all of the connections Arroyo has or what his plan of action is. Just hope that whomever it is , they can build on the Hansen’s 2021 success.

Hansen had things trending in the right direction.

Purely a guess, I think it's a PAC position coach much like Hansen was when Arroyo brought him in.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT