ADVERTISEMENT

Coach Sanchez Back For 2019 Season

RebNReno

NBA Draft Pick
Oct 17, 2015
DRF made it official today. Coach Sanchez will be back next year. I think most of us expected this. Bowl or Bust!

“After evaluating the UNLV football program with Acting President Marta Meana, Coach Tony Sanchez will return for a fifth year to lead the Rebels. We are looking forward to a successful 2019 football season including bowl eligibility, continued improvement in the classroom, and as always, a positive student-athlete experience. We have invested more resources than ever into the Rebel football program and will continue exploring every avenue to enable it to be competitive.”

1*CfD7Y7LtZPfd_uFZNp0w6g.gif

Shortly after the announcement coach sent out a #HeyReb. I'm excited to see what he puts together with this class.

Hope we get some good defensive players and a QB coach

Need in this order.

1) Edge pass rusher
2) DT ready to start/play day 1.
3) Big body/tall WR.
4) One CB preferably a bigger corner to push Flowers inside.
5) Safety who can help in coverage.

UNLV looks to be losing 18 players to graduation, 9 on offense and 9 on defense.
On offense 3 solid running backs have played their last game for UNLV, and that will be our biggest need offensively on the recruiting trail. Lex, X, and Evan Owens will all be missed.
Defensively 6 solid contributors are out of eligibility: Laolagi L.B.; Mann, Outsey,& All Wily on the D-Line; Baker, & Kalili in the secondary.
What's it going to take to get UNLV Bowl eligible next year?
Answer: Tony Sanchez's best recruiting class. We should have a pretty good indication of UNLV's 2019 season by February.
The other big question mark for 2019 is Armani Rodgers. If Armani plays like he did in Reno 2017, its going to be a long season. If he plays like he did against Reno this year 2019 should end in a Bowl game.
I guess your guess is as good as my guess on 2019

What's it going to take to get UNLV Bowl eligible next year?
Answer: Tony Sanchez's best recruiting class.

I would think this should be his best class. A lot of scholarships to give out and now he can actually show off the football facility and stadium not just artist renderings and empty promises. The exterior of the Fertitta Complex looks almost done and the stadium has steel going up. It looked like they had about 15 cranes out there last week.

Need in this order.

1) Edge pass rusher
2) DT ready to start/play day 1.
3) Big body/tall WR.
4) One CB preferably a bigger corner to push Flowers inside.
5) Safety who can help in coverage.
My understanding is that we already have some bodies on the team who were supposed to help the secondary but didn't because of injury. I don't remember the names, and I'm too lazy to look them up. If there are 3-4 guys that can contribute in the secondary already, then I would probably agree with your assessment/list.

Judging only by what we saw on the field last year and knowing who is graduating, I'd say:

1) 2 safeties, one more coverage-oriented, and another who can offer more run support.
2) Edge rusher
3) DT
4) RB
5) Shut-down corner (I know... not asking for much haha)

Reactions: rebel5280
My understanding is that we already have some bodies on the team who were supposed to help the secondary but didn't because of injury. I don't remember the names, and I'm too lazy to look them up. If there are 3-4 guys that can contribute in the secondary already, then I would probably agree with your assessment/list.

Judging only by what we saw on the field last year and knowing who is graduating, I'd say:

1) 2 safeties, one more coverage-oriented, and another who can offer more run support.
2) Edge rusher
3) DT
4) RB

I would add a LB and big WR, both with range (decent speed) to run sideline to sideline and go deep.

The defense needs talents!! Amani is enough to win the league. Defense is where you keep the other offense off the field.

2) Edge rusher
3) DT
4) RB

Vartich a JUCO was hurt before the season. Very athletic kid. I think it was a knee injury so I'm reluctant to count on him being 100% for next year.

Robert's suffered a neck injury early in the season.

And Kalili missed some games.

Aside from that nobody I'm aware of...

In order of importance (IMO)

1) Edge rusher
2) DT
3) CB
4) SF
5) RB

Reactions: RebelinWA
I would add a LB and big WR, both with range (decent speed) to run sideline to sideline and go deep.

Already landed a big WR 6'4 185. (Needs to add a little weight) But I agree they have to many similar guys there.

LB Nothing yet.

Are in on big JUCO LB Viramontes.

Reactions: rebel5280
Just curious. We signed a few JC D lineman this past season. Did any of them RS?

At the last game I was surprised with how many big DL looking dudes we had that didn't play. They at least looked the part. Did any of the RS? Is it possible that they were saving some guys knowing we were losing a few guys this season?

Or did they just suck?

Just curious. We signed a few JC D lineman this past season. Did any of them RS?

At the last game I was surprised with how many big DL looking dudes we had that didn't play. They at least looked the part. Did any of the RS? Is it possible that they were saving some guys knowing we were losing a few guys this season?

Or did they just suck?
Question of the season. Manoa, Wily, and Kolo had the majority of the reps. We had some looks from the juco guys, but not nearly enough. That leads me to believe that either they weren’t ready to go (injury or other) or that they weren’t good enough to get in proper reps vs aredshirt Freshman and a true freshman.

Granted Manoa and Kolo are good, and there is a reason why Alabama took a good look at Kolo; however I expected more out of three larger, taller, and more experienced juco players.

Question of the season. Manoa, Wily, and Kolo had the majority of the reps. We had some looks from the juco guys, but not nearly enough. That leads me to believe that either they weren’t ready to go (injury or other) or that they weren’t good enough to get in proper reps vs aredshirt Freshman and a true freshman.

Granted Manoa and Kolo are good, and there is a reason why Alabama took a good look at Kolo; however I expected more out of three larger, taller, and more experienced juco players.

Tavis Malakius will be a junior, he is listed as playing 11 games with 7 tackles
Montrice Johns is listed with 9 games played but no tackles and will be a senior
Dominion Ezinwa played in 2 games so he should be a junior again

Or did they just suck?

JUCO guys contributed very little.

Alo-Wily and Kolo U. were forced to play majority of the snaps.

Or did they just suck?

JUCO guys contributed very little.

Alo-Wily and Kolo U. were forced to play majority of the snaps.

Didn't we miss on all our top DL juco targets last year?

Didn't we miss on all our top DL juco targets last year?

Are you asking did we miss as in they didn't perform or missed as in we didn't get the top end guys we targeted?

Answer is yes to both.

Guys they got barely contributed.

And

And they missed on PJ who went to Arizona.

Its a shame, PJ Johnson is killing it in Arizona. We could have used him. An athletic 6’5 335 pound DL? Absolutely wish he was a Rebel.
Would have been All Conference for us. We came close but recruiting isn't playing horseshoes.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT