ADVERTISEMENT

CKK comment!

i dont get it and i can read it still. Says we are in good shape with current roster and just need to add a few pieces.

Notable quotes...
"The most important thing we have to do is take better care of the ball next year,”.... umm, I can list a few more important things than just ball security.
“Having the proof on paper of guys that were looking for a bigger role is something that makes UNLV an appealing place,”.... Im not exactly sure this is a great argument to be making, but yeah, we all know if you want Playing time, come to UNLV, who turns roster over every year...
Also sounds like we probably arent expecting any more HS recruits, so it'll be portal or bust....

If you can be successful in the portal ( something we have yet to see) you don't need H.S. players. The portal lets you eliminate H.S. flameouts. This excludes the top 10 or 20 H.S. kids because they are generally going to be good. But we aren't going to get them anyway.

"When the portal really starts cranking up, Kruger thinks he’ll be able to attract impact players. The program has a short but strong track record of taking in transfers, giving them expanded roles and allowing them to thrive.

Kruger is confident he can find the next Donovan Williams or Royce Hamm (team leaders from his first season in 2021-22) and build a competitive 2023-24 squad around them.

“Having the proof on paper of guys that were looking for a bigger role is something that makes UNLV an appealing place,” he said. I had to check the date on the article.same old . Might as well say getting seven footer from Ukraine in a couple days

Reactions: LVRebel2000
March 30 thru April 6 are a dead period. After the 6th we should see some commitments announce. We all know that PG is a glaring need. He sound confident in his abilities to find the right players for the program.
Actions needed, not words! Typical Kruger coach speak!

Reactions: mwsn7022012
When I read the article my first thought was "Shouldn't they have saved this for April 1st".

Come on man. You might as well say we aren't here to teach young players so we want plug & play guys that have some skills. Ninja skills preferred.

"The most important thing we have to do is take better care of the ball next year,”...

This is a misguided statement. Yes, we suck at ball security and we're 180th in the Nation. But the difference between 180th and 50th is ONE turnover. Not enough to make a difference at the end of the season.

A much better indicator of something that cost us dearly is rebounding. We ended 241st in total rebounds per game. The difference between 241st and 50th is four rebounds. Four rebounds equal enough additional possessions ( all other things staying the same) for us to win 5 additional games. Five games could have landed us an NIT bid.

It's distressing to me that he would say that ball security is the most important thing we have to take care of. It isn't that hard to look at stats and see where we really suck and where we are just lousy. Saying ball security is our most important problem indicates he has his head up his ass when it comes to numbers and that isn't good.

On the other hand, it could also mean he is just saying whatever pops out of his mouth and thinks we are too stupid to know when we are being fed bullcrap. And that isn't good either. I've never been able to trust a man that has an easy time lying.

I took the "ball security" as relaying the need for a point guard.

A lot our turnovers came from one guy, many unforced. Otherwise as a team turnovers were pretty good. Hence the good differential.

That's a way of improving your possessions.

Reactions: bcvegaspt
ttps://www.si.com/college/cincinnati/recruiting/three-star-2023-guard-brooklyn-hicks-puts-uc-in-top-seven-schools
Cincinnati disagrees with you. 6'4" 180 lbs is not a SG. The article is revealing about his style. This Washington State POY is going to be an eyeopener. We offered him one day before he committed. Look at who recruited him and we will see the results. NBA players have been coached by this man.

Wink was a shooting guard and he wasn’t > 6’2”.

I’d love to be wrong and for this kid to be a very pleasant surprise for us at the one. However, if I’m Kevin, I would not put my trust in him to save my job being the starter.
I guess the one coach who uses a lot of freshman guards is Calipari. I've seen a few in the Big 10 and maybe two in the Big 12 at Kansas and Texas. They are few and far between that just suprise, but I am hoping he sees a lot of minutes with a lot of assists.

I guess the one coach who uses a lot of freshman guards is Calipari. I've seen a few in the Big 10 and maybe two in the Big 12 at Kansas and Texas. They are few and far between that just suprise, but I am hoping he sees a lot of minutes with a lot of assists.
I hope that this kid becomes all of that and then some for us. I just don't see him in the PG role ever. That being said, I never saw Curtis Terry being successful in that role before he was successful in that role. I'm not an NCAA coach for a reason.

I'm actually feeling pretty bullish on our roster as it is. Just need a little help from the portal.

PG - Hicks
SG - Webster / Nowell
Swing - Whaley
Swing - Lurod
Center - Cottrell
Sorry, if there isn’t significant help through the portal there will be more loses than this year. UNLV needs two point guards. Preferably a veteran and a freshmen. Also, two bigs IMO to add toughness and rebounding. Let Cottrell play the stretch 4.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT