ADVERTISEMENT

Chuck

Do you guys think he’ll get drafted? Charles Williams?

He's got a shot...His production was very good.

If I were taking a stab at what NFL GMs would view as negatives for him...

A fair amount of touches in college (wear and tear)

He was never utilized much in the passing game...Hands might be a question mark.

He's decent size but by no means a big back.

He's fast no doubt, but not sure how elusive he is in the open field.

On the plus side for not being a particularly big back he always finished his runs...

I think he would fit well in a zone block scheme where he makes one cut and goes..

Such a good dude. I hope he gets drafted

At the very least, I think he gets a camp invite/priority free agent...

Hard to ignore his production..

Reactions: LVRebel2000
He's got a shot...His production was very good.

If I were taking a stab at what NFL GMs would view as negatives for him...

A fair amount of touches in college (wear and tear)

He was never utilized much in the passing game...Hands might be a question mark.

He's decent size but by no means a big back.

He's fast no doubt, but not sure how elusive he is in the open field.

On the plus side for not being a particularly big back he always finished his runs...

I think he would fit well in a zone block scheme where he makes one cut and goes..

Such a good dude. I hope he gets drafted

At the very least, I think he gets a camp invite/priority free agent...

Hard to ignore his production..
I agree with this. I will say that the ”wear and tear” shouldn’t be much of a factor because nobody drafting in the later rounds is looking for a feature back. Biggest thing he needs to prove he can do is pass protect and he must be a factor on special teams. If he can do those things, he’ll have a good chance to make a team. It’s nice to get drafted, but whether that happens or he signs as a UDFA, those 2 things will be what helps him make the team.

I agree with this. I will say that the ”wear and tear” shouldn’t be much of a factor because nobody drafting in the later rounds is looking for a feature back. Biggest thing he needs to prove he can do is pass protect and he must be a factor on special teams. If he can do those things, he’ll have a good chance to make a team. It’s nice to get drafted, but whether that happens or he signs as a UDFA, those 2 things will be what helps him make the team.

Fair point on wear and tear...

I think if he were viewed as a 1-4 round pick that might have come into play...

I think he'll have to prove he can help in the passing game. As a blocker, like you mentioned and as a receiver.

I'm leaning more toward him being a camp invite guy...

Loved to see him get drafted though..

I would love to see a rebel drafted. It's been over a decade. I think the last rebel draft pick was Beau Bell, right? Even Southern Utah has had three or four in the last six or seven years.

Reactions: Bullmastiff 1
I would love to see a rebel drafted. It's been over a decade. I think the last rebel draft pick was Beau Bell, right? Even Southern Utah has had three or four in the last six or seven years.

The one I was surprised that did not get drafted (did get an invite but hurt his knee I believe) Was WR Devante Adams, (Oddly played at the same time as the other D. Adams now with the Raiders).

Guy had NFL size, production that matched...

Was Frank Summers drafted or a priority free agent?

The one I was surprised that did not get drafted (did get an invite but hurt his knee I believe) Was WR Devante Adams, (Oddly played at the same time as the other D. Adams now with the Raiders).

Frank was drafted in the 5th round.

Devante Davis i think is the UNLV WR you're thinking of here. I was so sure Davis would be the better pro than Adam's.

Bell would have been 08, Summers 09, and Joe Hawley was the last UNLV draftee, 2010. Pretty nuts. Several D2 schools have had picks in recent years. Many FCS schools have picks every year and some have several per year!

Devante Davis i think is the UNLV WR you're thinking of here. I was so sure Davis would be the better pro than Adam's.

Bell would have been 08, Summers 09, and Joe Hawley was the last UNLV draftee, 2010. Pretty nuts. Several D2 schools have had picks in recent years. Many FCS schools have picks every year and some have several per year!

Davis not Adams...

Jesus.

I actually know the guy...Had him at tailgates...

Great dude...

Reactions: reagan21
Davis not Adams...

Jesus.

I actually know the guy...Had him at tailgates...

Great dude...
Really great guy. Was always good to me in our interactions, limited though they were.

Amusingly, he was also alongside devonte boyd for one (maybe 2? I think 2) seasons. Heart of Dallas was his junior year, Tim Cornette 's senior year. Boyd was a freshman in HOD game

How do we not accidentally get a guy recruited every five years or so? Can’t we just find someone who was overlooked by the rest of the football world and have him taken in the 6th round?

Seems like it would happen a little more often...

Also shows how good you have to be to get into the NFL...

Devante Davis, Lex, Chuck, all super productive players for UNLV..

Undrafted..

Reactions: j. spilotro

Undrafted..
Fcs power Ndsu has had many guys drafted during the period you mention. As they take the scraps left from p5 Minnesota, Wisc, Iowa, and Iowa St, it should be hard to develop as many pros as they have. They had a guy go early second round this year and they had 3 qb's drafted in 5 years with 2 of them being top 10 picks.

Shows how truly bad Unlv has been in fball.

Reactions: bcvegaspt
Fcs power Ndsu has had many guys drafted during the period you mention. As they take the scraps left from p5 Minnesota, Wisc, Iowa, and Iowa St, it should be hard to develop as many pros as they have. They had a guy go early second round this year and they had 3 qb's drafted in 5 years with 2 of them being top 10 picks.

Shows how truly bad Unlv has been in fball.

How did I know you would mention NDSU....

Undrafted..
Windmon had a chance to break the streak. But as with Windmon, it’s going to be difficult to keep those types of guys at UNLV throughout their collegiate career. Anyone that develops into a draftable player will be courted by P5 schools and potentially NIL deals. Our best bet now seems to be someone that transfers in like Bailey or White.

Fordham, Villanova, and something called Quachita Baptist had a player drafted in the sixth round.

Quachita Baptist had a player drafted more recently than we have.

“Oops.” - Quachita Baptist, probably

Windmon had a chance to break the streak. But as with Windmon, it’s going to be difficult to keep those types of guys at UNLV throughout their collegiate career. Anyone that develops into a draftable player will be courted by P5 schools and potentially NIL deals. Our best bet now seems to be someone that transfers in like Bailey or White.

Most definitely...

If they transfer in it doesn't feel the same as a 'homegrown' player...

But I'll take it...

Most definitely...

If they transfer in it doesn't feel the same as a 'homegrown' player...

But I'll take it...
I agree. Maybe we get credit for 1/2 of Windmon and 1/2 of say White (or whoever)...part of it, to me, is how many years they spend here. For example if Bailey spends 3 or 4 years here and gets drafted, it would feel like we had a big part of that. However if someone comes in for say just 1 or 2 years, it would seem more like we were just a pit stop or something

I agree. Maybe we get credit for 1/2 of Windmon and 1/2 of say White (or whoever)...part of it, to me, is how many years they spend here. For example if Bailey spends 3 or 4 years here and gets drafted, it would feel like we had a big part of that. However if someone comes in for say just 1 or 2 years, it would seem more like we were just a pit stop or something

Spot on...

Looks like Chuck will get a mini-camp tryout with the Steelers, per Steelers Depot.

Steelers Depot

As a Steelers fan this makes me happy. Steelers need RB depth behind Harris...

Chuck will have to show he can be reliable in the passing game both as a target and as a blocker. Steelers threw to Harris a lot last year...He had a lot of touches as well. Have to imagine they want to reduce his workload some..

Seems like just about any grading I saw on Chuck was bad for pass blocking. One comment said that the extent of his pass blocking is he "just throws himself at the feet of a blitzer." Doesn't bode well for our guy. But, hopefully, he's a quick study and can put tips into practice quickly.

Seems like just about any grading I saw on Chuck was bad for pass blocking. One comment said that the extent of his pass blocking is he "just throws himself at the feet of a blitzer." Doesn't bode well for our guy. But, hopefully, he's a quick study and can put tips into practice quickly.

The other was pass catching. He wasn't always the smoothest receiver of the ball. Let it get into his body too much..

I honestly believe in the right system he could be a decent NFL back...Zone block/one cut and go....

Difference between he and Lex...Lex could juke a guy and was dangerous in the open field but didn't break a ton of tackles (size).

Chuck wasn't as nimble in the open field but could shrug off a tackle here and there..

Both were gone if they got a step..Rarely saw either of them get run down very often.

I'm rooting hard for the dude. Seems a genuinely good human being.

Could have entered the portal at any time. May not have landed at a P5 but could have latched on at a more successful G5 program..

Stuck it out..Even after coaching change. Speaks a lot to his character...

Last edited:
Fordham, Villanova, and something called Quachita Baptist had a player drafted in the sixth round.

Quachita Baptist had a player drafted more recently than we have.

“Oops.” - Quachita Baptist, probably
Lenoir Rhyne had a player drafted in the first round last year.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT