ADVERTISEMENT

Center position

dcut03

Rebel Legend
Gold Member
Jun 16, 2011
https://www.reviewjournal.com/sport...teams-battle-for-starting-center-intensifies/

I know the RJ is inherently evil. But they have been putting out some good football stuff pretty much daily. A lot of quotes and insight from Coach Sanchez.

But I digress. I did not realize that Acosta was an ACL reconstruction. Yikes. This article mentions the possibility of him redshirting. If whomever fills in for him performs admirably, I think that might be the right thing to do. Him returning this season is a shaky proposition when it comes to his knee health.

I won't comment on the evil RJ as a whole, but I will say that Mark Anderson does a GREAT job covering UNLV football and basketball. The guy is dedicated, puts out content as often as possible, and is also VERY responsive on twitter. If you ask him something, he'll respond without fail.

And you can tell that the media is under some pretty tight restrictions as far as what is said and what details they can't give, but Anderson still gives us as much as possible.

Let's look at the RJ a little differently for a second- perhaps the new ownership saw the silver lining around covering a D1 college football program, one that would have been playing in their owners' new stadium. It would have behooved them to invest more space to that team more so than any time previously. So the mantra had been put into place late last year and the wheels were already in motion when Uncle Shelly turtled on the deal. An unintended consequence, perhaps..... But good on them, anyway.

Edit: Hey, by clicking that link, I saw the note about #8 replacing Pritch! That's pretty cool! I wish Caleb the best in the booth and I'll be listening.

Last edited:
Reactions: RebelinWA
@dcut03 We both know how questionable any timetabled return can be in that regard especially in terms of a contact sport like football. I'd be all for red shirting him this year regardless of need since that will give us even more depth the next two years.

Our research department, which I do assist with, has about 6-7 studies going on with ACL reconstruction currently. So I spend a good amount of time with this stuff.

A big debate and always a part of our group discussions is return to sport. Many different ideas out there and the bottom line is that we just don't know. However ligamentization studies do indicate that the ACL isn't fully mature up to 2 years. Some studies recommend that you shouldn't return to sport until 2 years. That is an extreme example, but it does make you think about it.

Now the center position isn't the same as a RB or a WR of course. But that knee does incur some harsh lateral and rotary forces down in the trenches.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT