ADVERTISEMENT

CDR coaching

RebelHaus

Retired Number
Gold Member
May 29, 2001
The coaching criticism is definitely warranted, especially with Dave's first 3 teams. Last year not so much. It's clear he needed to learn a lot and still does. It's harder to really put a finger on what it is though.

So it's clear we were awful coming out of halftime this year. Safe to say the other teams made better adjustments because it happened in way too many games. But then, isn't it his coaching and game plan that got us all those halftime leads? Surely both coaches plan how to start the game. We won a lot of first halves. So maybe it's more fair to say he's good with the gameplan but needs to get a ton better adjusting as the game goes on?

But you can't be a poor coach overall and have all those good early results.

His first team really put it to UNC and was nowhere near the bubble. Yes those were Lon's players but he coached them. The Bennett team definitely should have won a tournsment game. He couldn't motivate that team and a freak injury didn't help matters.

This years team actually was his best coaching and worst results. Even without rashad and then with Pat clearly not right we played SDSU to three points. We led big in the second half at SDSU. No one wants to hear excuses and I get it. But you can't really say he did so much less with more when your top scoring guard is out.

This team looked really good at times vs utah, Arizona, Kansas at csu and at SDSU. Against the best we looked ready. We looked well coached. Something good is coming from our coaching.

Personally I don't like how he has let the other teams dictate the tempo. I don't like that instead of pressing and being the aggressor, we got pressed and played reactionary. That's not rebel basketball. I don't like that he hasn't had tighter discipline and really taken control of his stars. That is no doubt easier said than done but he must do it. I think motivation is really our biggest issue and I firmly believe that control of every single player is critical to get buy in as a team and to get everyone's best effort. It's hard for one player to give his all when the guy next to him does not. That in my opinion is his number one weakness that has to change for us to be great. The next time a player looks him off in the huddle I sincerely hope he buries that kid at the end of the bench and forgets he even knows his name.

But I don't buy for a second the people who say he doesn't know x and o's. That is his strength. That and recruiting. Just my opinion but it really comes down to taking control of his team, dictating to our opponents, and making adjustments better on the fly. And yes, I realize that is a whole lot that needs to be better.

Reactions: mvvsmith
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.