ADVERTISEMENT

Cannon Game Sucker Punched

Rebel raised

Starter
Dec 27, 2011

I don’t typically write much of anything on Rebel-net, and I haven’t posted anything at all in quite a long time. It has been over two weeks now, but I thought I would share my experience of going up north to the Battle of the Fremont Cannon game.

My day started off great and the weather was perfect for a college football game. I was excited, anxious, and ready for the game to start—but first, it was time for some tailgating. It was my first time traveling up north for a UNLV football game so I was eager to experience the atmosphere. I had previously gone up twice for basketball games, in which I had a 2-0 record of not blindly getting punched in the face. The BBQ’s were hot and the beers were cold, and I was hanging out with friends that graduated from UNR at a tailgate party with their friends. Corn hole, ladder golf, beer pong, food, music, and a pigskin to toss around—all of the typical tailgate necessities.

Friends and acquaintances have always recommended and advised me to not go up north for the football game. I had heard stories of UNLV fans getting full cans of beer and soda thrown at them, older Rebel fans getting cursed at for no reason other than wearing scarlet and grey and Reno fans starting fights for no reason. But I felt like we had a good shot at winning back the Fremont Cannon this year, so I decided I was going to attend my first football game at Mackay Stadium. At the tailgate, everyone was surprisingly nice compared to all of the stories I had heard. Rebel fans were obviously outnumbered by all of the Wolf Pack faithful, but I had some great conversations with many different UNR fans.

Atlas, it was 40 minutes until the game started, so I wanted to head inside the stadium to catch the kickoff. There were people everywhere—you could tell it was really close to a sellout—and after waiting approximately 20 minutes to get through security, I was finally inside. It was time to find my seat and get settled in, but little did I know my day was about to be ruined.

While walking onto the bleachers I took a quick look around the stadium, as this was my first time there. Next to me was an older lady who looked about 60 years old; I showed her my ticket and asked her if she knew where my section was. She pointed to the opposite side of the field and stated, “I’m not positive but I believe it’s over on that side.” It was at that time I heard someone to my right yell “FUNLV!” (and no, not the abbreviation) so naturally I looked just to see what idiot was yelling this profanity. Before I could even turn my head to look and see, I felt a solid punch to the right side of my face, making perfect contact with my cheek and nose. By the time I could look back over in the direction of the assaulter all I saw was a 25 to 35 year old male adult running away. My next instinct was to look around for security or police, as the rivalry games at Sam Boyd Stadium have so much security and police presence it’s almost crazy.

I couldn’t believe what just happened; the game hadn’t even started yet! I wasn’t talking to this guy or doing anything to piss someone off, and I just get sucker punched—blindsided right in face. The older lady standing next to me asked if I was okay, to which I responded that I was. However, she informed me that I was bleeding everywhere and she thought I needed to go see the paramedics.

Four UNR fans were nice enough to give statements and descriptions of the subject to the police, but they all stated that he ran and left the stadium—and security and police never did find him. I spent the entire first half with the paramedics and police, getting medical attention and providing my statement. The paramedics helped to get the bleeding to stop and confirmed that my nose was broken. I kept asking what the score was, as I couldn’t even see the field or the scoreboard from where we were at. The paramedics told me I should probably go to the hospital, but I wasn’t in much pain and by this time the Rebels were up 13-0. I told them I could just go to the doctor when I got back to Vegas and then they released me. There was blood everywhere, my face, my number 18 UNLV jersey, my legs, my shoes. I was a mess, so I got a ride back to my friend’s house real quick to clean myself up. I washed the blood out of my jersey, washed my face, and got situated so I could get back to Mackay Stadium and watch our Rebels win back the Fremont Cannon. I was able to watch the majority of the fourth quarter, and well, the rest is history. The Cannon is once again Rebel Red.

I went to the doctor when I got back to Vegas and sure enough the X-rays showed it was broken. Unexpected medical bills, black eyes for about two weeks, and potentially a scar on the bridge of my nose, all thanks to some moron in Reno that decided to punch me. Rebel fans always talk about how they hate Reno, and I have always said the same, but now I have a stronger hatred for the school up north. Go Rebels!

So sorry to here that happened. I'd hope that this stuff would quiet down. Some people are real trash and Reno tends to have a higher percentage.

I've heard some good stories about some fans being decent to Rebel fans. Trash talking is one thing, sucker punching is another. That idiot is so stupid he doesn't realize that's considered assault. That idiot should have went to jail. Don't worry karmas a b****. He'll get his eventually.

I don’t typically write much of anything on Rebel-net, and I haven’t posted anything at all in quite a long time. It has been over two weeks now, but I thought I would share my experience of going up north to the Battle of the Fremont Cannon game.

My day started off great and the weather was perfect for a college football game. I was excited, anxious, and ready for the game to start—but first, it was time for some tailgating. It was my first time traveling up north for a UNLV football game so I was eager to experience the atmosphere. I had previously gone up twice for basketball games, in which I had a 2-0 record of not blindly getting punched in the face. The BBQ’s were hot and the beers were cold, and I was hanging out with friends that graduated from UNR at a tailgate party with their friends. Corn hole, ladder golf, beer pong, food, music, and a pigskin to toss around—all of the typical tailgate necessities.

Friends and acquaintances have always recommended and advised me to not go up north for the football game. I had heard stories of UNLV fans getting full cans of beer and soda thrown at them, older Rebel fans getting cursed at for no reason other than wearing scarlet and grey and Reno fans starting fights for no reason. But I felt like we had a good shot at winning back the Fremont Cannon this year, so I decided I was going to attend my first football game at Mackay Stadium. At the tailgate, everyone was surprisingly nice compared to all of the stories I had heard. Rebel fans were obviously outnumbered by all of the Wolf Pack faithful, but I had some great conversations with many different UNR fans.

Atlas, it was 40 minutes until the game started, so I wanted to head inside the stadium to catch the kickoff. There were people everywhere—you could tell it was really close to a sellout—and after waiting approximately 20 minutes to get through security, I was finally inside. It was time to find my seat and get settled in, but little did I know my day was about to be ruined.

While walking onto the bleachers I took a quick look around the stadium, as this was my first time there. Next to me was an older lady who looked about 60 years old; I showed her my ticket and asked her if she knew where my section was. She pointed to the opposite side of the field and stated, “I’m not positive but I believe it’s over on that side.” It was at that time I heard someone to my right yell “FUNLV!” (and no, not the abbreviation) so naturally I looked just to see what idiot was yelling this profanity. Before I could even turn my head to look and see, I felt a solid punch to the right side of my face, making perfect contact with my cheek and nose. By the time I could look back over in the direction of the assaulter all I saw was a 25 to 35 year old male adult running away. My next instinct was to look around for security or police, as the rivalry games at Sam Boyd Stadium have so much security and police presence it’s almost crazy.

I couldn’t believe what just happened; the game hadn’t even started yet! I wasn’t talking to this guy or doing anything to piss someone off, and I just get sucker punched—blindsided right in face. The older lady standing next to me asked if I was okay, to which I responded that I was. However, she informed me that I was bleeding everywhere and she thought I needed to go see the paramedics.

Four UNR fans were nice enough to give statements and descriptions of the subject to the police, but they all stated that he ran and left the stadium—and security and police never did find him. I spent the entire first half with the paramedics and police, getting medical attention and providing my statement. The paramedics helped to get the bleeding to stop and confirmed that my nose was broken. I kept asking what the score was, as I couldn’t even see the field or the scoreboard from where we were at. The paramedics told me I should probably go to the hospital, but I wasn’t in much pain and by this time the Rebels were up 13-0. I told them I could just go to the doctor when I got back to Vegas and then they released me. There was blood everywhere, my face, my number 18 UNLV jersey, my legs, my shoes. I was a mess, so I got a ride back to my friend’s house real quick to clean myself up. I washed the blood out of my jersey, washed my face, and got situated so I could get back to Mackay Stadium and watch our Rebels win back the Fremont Cannon. I was able to watch the majority of the fourth quarter, and well, the rest is history. The Cannon is once again Rebel Red.

I went to the doctor when I got back to Vegas and sure enough the X-rays showed it was broken. Unexpected medical bills, black eyes for about two weeks, and potentially a scar on the bridge of my nose, all thanks to some moron in Reno that decided to punch me. Rebel fans always talk about how they hate Reno, and I have always said the same, but now I have a stronger hatred for the school up north. Go Rebels!
It's a bad game to attend in either venue, IMO. The whole thing is just low rent. I'm sure there are some bad fights at every rivalry game across the country. But the UNLV/UNR thing is ugly. It's all the bad things that are involved with a rivalry. Any modicum of respect or the spirit of competition is absent.

Yeah,
You're definitely right Joe. I never had any issues at Lawlor, but needless to say i'll take my 3-0 record up and not worry about traveling up there again.
zL72ciW

I feel you on that one. A couple years ago, my wife and I had quite a few rude people yelling and cursing at us before the game on our way to the stadium. We had to park almost what seems like a mile from the stadium and after we won that night I was prepared for trouble on our way back to the car. Surprisingly all we met after the game was friendly drunks. I said then I would never go back to that Sh*t hole for a football game again.

For one of the games down here I was partying with UNR people I know pregame and they had a guy I went to grade school and high school with them in their group. He tried to sweat me about being a Rebel fan. Thing is we got along well in grade school and high school so going to Reno is the reason he became an (insert polite word here). I would be bitter, too, if I went up there.

I am with Joe it is a bad game to attend at either place. I refuse to make the trip to Reno for a few reasons. First its, in Reno. Secondly the potential for what happened to Rebel Raised is far to high. I think it will get even worse as the rivalry heats up and UNLV becomes more and more competitive in football.

Outside of Reno, the other game where there are often flare ups is the Hawaii game. It has been better of late but when Hawaii was good, for what ever reason there were always fights popping up throughout the stadium. The added security the last two seasons has helped a ton.

As bad as Reno fans are, ours aren't much better. I attribute our fan behavior on years of frustration and losing. Add that, to a dude or chick that can't hold their liquor and its a recipe for fights in the stands. Oddly enough at least half the fights I see in the stands at UNLV games are between UNLV fans. Go figure.

Nothing would piss me off more than sitting in the student section from 2004 to 2008 and watching Rebel fans fight each other. I never see it now that I have season tickets and don't pay much attention to the student section. Every game there would be 4 fights at minimum that I would witness when I was a student. And 90% of the time is was UNLV fan vs UNLV fan.

Reactions: Bullmastiff 1
For one of the games down here I was partying with UNR people I know pregame and they had a guy I went to grade school and high school with them in their group. He tried to sweat me about being a Rebel fan. Thing is we got along well in grade school and high school so going to Reno is the reason he became an (insert polite word here). I would be bitter, too, if I went up there.
That's a big part of it. Many at their school are Las Vegas kids. And they have this self loathing thing going on. It's bizarre.

Reactions: rebelbuck
Nothing would piss me off more than sitting in the student section from 2004 to 2008 and watching Rebel fans fight each other. I never see it now that I have season tickets and don't pay much attention to the student section. Every game there would be 4 fights at minimum that I would witness when I was a student. And 90% of the time is was UNLV fan vs UNLV fan.
Its pretty easy to miss the student section these days.

I would put much of that on UNLV in regards to where they put the students. When I went to UNLV, they were located on the visitor side (really is no visitor side at a college stadium) near the middle of the field. At some point, they decided to put the students in the stadium corner even when they had almost nobody at the games.

I would put much of that on UNLV in regards to where they put the students. When I went to UNLV, they were located on the visitor side (really is no visitor side at a college stadium) near the middle of the field. At some point, they decided to put the students in the stadium corner even when they had almost nobody at the games.
I was actually taking a shot at how few show up.

I was actually taking a shot at how few show up.
It's gonna take time. Sanchez is doing everything he can to energize and he's done great in that regard and with installing some good football. But people aren't just going to show up in masses. Not this town, not these fans, not this program, not with the history. Students or not.

It sucks, but it is what it is.

Reactions: rebelbuck
What I am saying is that UNLV has not made getting the students to football games a priority in a long time and lay the blame on the past administrations. Sanchez is doing what he can to embrass the students, but the last 10 years of the old admin sitting on their collective asses is what caused the students to lose any interest in football. They are not just going to magically show up again.

It's gonna take time. Sanchez is doing everything he can to energize and he's done great in that regard and with installing some good football. But people aren't just going to show up in masses. Not this town, not these fans, not this program, not with the history. Students or not.

I agree and it's why I get excited about games like the one this weekend, because if you win, it significantly accelerates the building process. Beating Boise on national TV begins opening up doors in terms of public perception, recruiting and fan interest.

We saw it happen quickly in basketball. Dave Rice's ability to recruit shot way up after beating UNC on national TV. That marquee victory led directly to Khem Birch coming to UNLV, and Khem in turn influenced Anthony Bennett and several other high-profile recruits to choose UNLV, and now Rebel basketball recruiting has snowballed into some of the best in the nation. More or less Dave Rice's amazing recruiting prowess kicked in after that significant televised win against UNC.

A win over Boise on ESPNU Saturday might not instantly attract 5-star players, but it could easily become the difference-maker for multiple recruiting targets Sanchez is going for in this upcoming class.

What I am saying is that UNLV has not made getting the students to football games a priority in a long time and lay the blame on the past administrations. Sanchez is doing what he can to embrass the students, but the last 10 years of the old admin sitting on their collective asses is what caused the students to lose any interest in football. They are not just going to magically show up again.
I disagree to an extent. I think it was two or three seasons ago the students 'protested' going to football games because of the parking charge. They get free busing to and from games and free tickets. Now I realize there hasn't been a lot to cheer about the last few years, but even during the bowl season the student section was usually half full. Since UNLV is a bit unique in its demographics take away half the student body total, it still leaves you with nearly 15k students. There have been games this and past years where if there were more than 500 students in the section I would be shocked. Thats pretty sad.

I agree the University hasn't done the best job supporting the football program. But free rides, free tickets what else can you do to get students out to the game?

Again winning will cure a lot of ills and get people in the community out to the games. It will take a few seasons to get Vegas the city excited. It shouldn't be this hard to get the student body to get excited or show up.

Mark my words if an on campus or near campus stadium is built students will get charged for season tickets. It will be at a reduced rate but they will get charged. Watch the backlash for that. All part of becoming a 'big time' university. I believe every school in the Big10 charges students for season tickets.

Again, I agree UNLV may not have done enough to get students out to games, but what they have done and offered should have reaped better results.

Joe-

Totally agree, about getting the community energized and supporting the team.

I just didn't see much of a difference during or immediately folliwing the bowl season in terms of student turn out.

Maybe/hopefully you are right though, and it will just take a little more time and a few more wins to get them out as well.

Sorry about the thread jack by the way. Had no intention of turning this into a students attendance debate when I took that shot at them.

Joe-

Totally agree, about getting the community energized and supporting the team.

I just didn't see much of a difference during or immediately folliwing the bowl season in terms of student turn out.

Maybe/hopefully you are right though, and it will just take a little more time and a few more wins to get them out as well.
The bowl victory over Arkansas helped UNLV in the early 2000's. But in general, I think it's going to take more "proof" before fans buy in.

I wish it were the other way around. Unconditional support, help in building the program instead of building it before they come. That's the way it SHOULD work.

The bowl victory over Arkansas helped UNLV in the early 2000's. But in general, I think it's going to take more "proof" before fans buy in.

I wish it were the other way around. Unconditional support, help in building the program instead of building it before they come. That's the way it SHOULD work.
Same here.

Hopefully a strong finish to the season and a little hype surrounding what is already shaping up to be a good recruiting class will help for next season.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT