ADVERTISEMENT

Can anyone explain this to me?

dcut03

Rebel Legend
Gold Member
Jun 16, 2011
I go to MW connection from time to time. They rated Transfer classes and had to say this about us:

"The Bad

UNLV

This is a difficult group to evaluate. According to 247 Sports, UNLV has the top transfer class in the Mountain West. A big part of that is quantity; the Rebels added 16 players. Three of those players are FCS transfer quarterbacks. I think Holy Cross transfer Matthew Sluka will probably win the job, but the loss of Jayden Maiava was a huge hit to this program. They also lost a number of starters on the defensive side of the ball and were hit really hard in the secondary.
"

Sure losing our starting QB and second team all MW QB is tough on paper. I can see why superficially that looks like a huge loss, and honestly it could be. But mentioning the secondary as a negative? Sure we lost a lot, but did they see who we have coming in? Many of those departures left because they were recruited over. Brushing off the number 1 transfer class rating as quantity over quality is very lazy. Sure not everyone is going to come in and start in this transfer class, but many are upgrades over what we have now, and would have been upgrades over what we had last season.

Last edited:
I go to MW connection from time to time. They rated Transfer classes and had to say this about us:

"The Bad

UNLV

This is a difficult group to evaluate. According to 247 Sports, UNLV has the top transfer class in the Mountain West. A big part of that is quantity; the Rebels added 16 players. Three of those players are FCS transfer quarterbacks. I think Holy Cross transfer Matthew Sluka will probably win the job, but the loss of Jayden Maiava was a huge hit to this program. They also lost a number of starters on the defensive side of the ball and were hit really hard in the secondary.
"

Sure losing our starting QB and second team all MW QB is tough on paper. I can see why superficially that looks like a huge loss, and honestly it could be. But mentioning the secondary as a negative? Sure we lost a lot, but did they see who we have coming in? Many of those departures left because they were recruited over. Brushing off the number 1 transfer class rating as quantity over quality is very lazy. Sure not everyone is going to come in and start in this transfer class, but many are upgrades over what we have now, and would have been upgrades over what we had last season.
They are purely basing their opinions on the ratings of the players leaving verse those coming into UNLV. A fair number of those leaving have fairly high ratings, but never really showed abilities that were commensurate with their talent on the field at UNLV. Overall I believe the defensive secondary they will take a jump forward, and based on the skill set of the QB's, particularly Sluka, I think we will have a QB who is at least at the same level as Maiava. While Maiava was a very good freshman QB, he wasn't exactly that mobile, and still had a lot of room for improvement.

It also doesn't hurt that UNLV has commits from several transfer WR's who have the potential to start right away, and provide additional targets beyond just White! If even one of the WR's can play even close to the level of White, it will open open the passing game to a different level.

Reactions: LVRebel2000
They are purely basing their opinions on the ratings of the players leaving verse those coming into UNLV. A fair number of those leaving have fairly high ratings, but never really showed abilities that were commensurate with their talent on the field at UNLV. Overall I believe the defensive secondary they will take a jump forward, and based on the skill set of the QB's, particularly Sluka, I think we will have a QB who is at least at the same level as Maiava. While Maiava was a very good freshman QB, he wasn't exactly that mobile, and still had a lot of room for improvement.
Fair point, but they specifically called out the secondary. According to on3 (easiest site that breaks down outgoing and incoming players), the average rating of the 8 players leaving is 84.27. The average of 7 the incoming is 84.61.
The best rated outgoing Corner is 83.00, the best rated incoming corner is 88.03. The best rated outgoing safety is 86.00, Best rated incoming safety is 88.77. The secondary is bringing in 2 of the highest rated transfers in all of the conference.

Last edited:
  • Love
The UNLV defense has been okay against bad teams and suspect against good teams, see the last few games of last season. Anyone outside of Vegas will not be giving the UNLV D or especially our porous secondary the benefit of the doubt!

The transfers will have to prove it before preseason write ups will be flattering to us!

"The Bad

UNLV

"

UNLV lost a lot of guys from a very shakey secondary group and this could be a problem'

Is quite the take.

The UNLV defense has been okay against bad teams and suspect against good teams, see the last few games of last season. Anyone outside of Vegas will not be giving the UNLV D or especially our porous secondary the benefit of the doubt!

The transfers will have to prove it before preseason write ups will be flattering to us!
Well I guess it’s a good thing that the majority of that porous secondary from last year is gone.

Just curious how do the transfers “prove it” during preseason?

"The Bad

UNLV

"

Clearly they didn't actually look at who left and who came. As you said many left because they were recruited over. Well if they were recruited over that should tell them that there is a good reason for that. But they were too lazy to look further into it.

Well I guess it’s a good thing that the majority of that porous secondary from last year is gone.

But that logic makes this take even dumber

Uh oh we lose a bunch of guys from the arguably shakiest part of the defense and replaced them with some of the best overall transfers of the conference.

They acknowledge that our transfer class was rated the highest, but they still rated it bad with no evidence to contradict that other than we lost a bunch of guys.

This is an article purely talking about the transfer classes. Not the team overall.

They don’t!

Gotta play to get elevated!

They don’t!

Gotta play to get elevated!
Again this whole article is rating transfers. How do you wait to "prove it". Everyone is in the same boat.

The article acknowledged that we have the highest rated transfer class but still rated us bad.

If you go against the grain, better back it up with something. They didn't.

The only valid surface level point is our losses in the portal. Maiava is a big one, I get it. But other than that?

It's the same reason why they're picking Boise to win the conference. I know I'm biased, but I don't think they're going to be at the level they're being projected to. Part of their success was the 2 back duo. The other I think was playing with a chip on their shoulder for the Interim HC, who is now the HC. There's a reason they fired the coach mid year last season and while their HC is a Boise guy, I think it was a mistake for them to just hand him the job. They did put the program in that tough position but I'm not convinced he's going to elevate them.
I agree we got on paper alot better with the talent brought in. Both sides of the ball got better and while losing Maiava hurts, I'm anticipating Sluka being able to slot in and do as well or better. Our staff stuck together, and have really instilled their identity on the program. Offensively our weapons are deep and all over the field. Track meets might happen, but I find it hard to think teams in the conference are going to compete with the fire power. And then the conference lost alot. There's definitely a clear top tier.

Reactions: Boston Rebel 2
Again this whole article is rating transfers. How do you wait to "prove it". Everyone is in the same boat.

The article acknowledged that we have the highest rated transfer class but still rated us bad.

If you go against the grain, better back it up with something. They didn't.

The only valid surface level point is our losses in the portal. Maiava is a big one, I get it. But other than that?
All I’m saying is that very few journalists outside of this region are going to do “deep” dives on UNLV football! To get the benefit of the doubt by most we are going to have to play and win on the field.

Besides isn’t that what we all want anyways?

I could care less about these “one off” type of articles.
My opinion with stories like these are to approach them with an “assume the worst and deal with the best” type of mindset, it’s May not November!

Last edited:
All I’m saying is that very few journalists outside of this region are going to do “deep” dives on UNLV football! To get the benefit of the doubt by most we are going to have to play and win on the field.

Besides isn’t that what we all want anyways?

I could care less about these “one off” type of articles.
My opinion with stories like these are to approach the with an “assume the worst and deal with the best” type of mindset, it’s May not November!
I would like to see a lot of positive stories for UNLV so that the casual football fans living in Las Vegas get interested and buy tickets to the UNLV games. It would look impressive on a national level if UNLV can fill the entire bottom section for every home game and even have some fans in the next section above. 30K+ would be a good goal for UNLV football next season!

2007 UNLV averaged about 29.3K per game

I don't have it in front of me, but they basically just added 1 year and bumped up the buyout if he is poached
My belief is if Odom has another great season, and improves the attendance as much as last season, then money will be found to boost his salary. When you add cost for parking, purchasing of food, and season tickets, you can expect UNLV can make at least $300-$500 per season ticket sold. If they can add another 5K of seats sold, then you can add $1.5-2.5 million to the budget.

My belief is if Odom has another great season, and improves the attendance as much as last season, then money will be found to boost his salary. When you add cost for parking, purchasing of food, and season tickets, you can expect UNLV can make at least $300-$500 per season ticket sold. If they can add another 5K of seats sold, then you can add $1.5-2.5 million to the budget.
If we have the type of year that we had last year or better this year, say win the conference (and more depending on how some of us see things) Then yeah, they will find more money to pay him if he wants to stay. Guaranteed he will get calls from P5s if those things happen, but again, hes probably not eager to take a bad job just because they pay well. He's on record discussing that multiple times. But if we have another season where we are winning and competing for a title, I can see another jump in attendance because it will be fun to go to UNLV games to watch good football.

I don't have it in front of me, but they basically just added 1 year and bumped up the buyout if he is poached
It seemed like we did not have the money to give him a proper bump/extension just yet. Another good year, and hopefully better support will allow that to happed.

I guess we'll see what it will take to jump back into the ultra high pressure. Some guys thrive on it, others feel like there's more to life. He might like not having to go into witness protection for a record that would get him one step from tar and feathers in the SEC/B1G

I guess we'll see what it will take to jump back into the ultra high pressure. Some guys thrive on it, others feel like there's more to life. He might like not having to go into witness protection for a record that would get him one step from tar and feathers in the SEC/B1G
We’ll see. I’d keep a close eye on Arkansas, I don’t think the Odoms sold their home there and Arkansas FB has been extremely profitable, they can absolutely drop a 50 million dollar contract to Odom, no problem.

I know it’s not popular but Marion might be HC in waiting in this situation.

Another great season and they will be finding that money to pay a new coach.

We’ll see. I’d keep a close eye on Arkansas, I don’t think the Odoms sold their home there and Arkansas FB has been extremely profitable, they can absolutely drop a 50 million dollar contract to Odom, no problem.

I know it’s not popular but Marion might be HC in waiting in this situation.
Not likely. First, I don't think Harper hires an assistant as a first time HC, and absolutely I do not and never again shall endorse hiring a first time HC... second, I don't think Vegas is big enough for Marion. He's already shown he's not long for here. Why delay the inevitable for a year? He doesn't have a track record for running a program and he doesn't have a track record to stick around.
As for paying a coach. I think we're either at the top or in top 3 salary in MWC, you can hire a solid replacement for the money that will be available... we aren't going to out bid P4s if they really want anyone in our program. The hope is Odom doesn't want to job hop in favor of going to bad programs just for $.
No more training wheel coaches.

Not likely. First, I don't think Harper hires an assistant as a first time HC, and absolutely I do not and never again shall endorse hiring a first time HC... second, I don't think Vegas is big enough for Marion. He's already shown he's not long for here. Why delay the inevitable for a year? He doesn't have a track record for running a program and he doesn't have a track record to stick around.
As for paying a coach. I think we're either at the top or in top 3 salary in MWC, you can hire a solid replacement for the money that will be available... we aren't going to out bid P4s if they really want anyone in our program. The hope is Odom doesn't want to job hop in favor of going to bad programs just for $.
No more training wheel coaches.
Marion would have been mentored by Odom and already would have a head start with being familiar with the university and the city.

I don’t think there’s anything wrong with wanting a head coaching job and interviewing for open jobs. The video posted earlier he was talking of his peers already having head jobs and running everything. He’s worked with the top coaches in the country.

Like I said, it’s not popular. This kind of continuation worked at BYU with Medenhall, Whittingham at Utah, Chris Petersen at Boise etc. I’m in the minority but it would work under Marion, imo.

Marion has the knowledge and talent to be a HC here and many other places. That's not in dispute.

The red flag, elephant in the room, etc. is that he's looking for another job before the ink dries on his current contract. He was supposed to be locked into Vegas for at least a second season but still interviewed for the UTEP job. For example, he would leave Ohio State for the NFL, then leave the Jags for the KC Chiefs. His ambition is admirable. His loyalty is not.

"The Bad

UNLV

"

"They" ?

NO brah its just one low level writers opinion. I doubt he did more than 5 min of research before he wrote his article that only you and 123 other people read

EXPLAINED

quit trippin

Marion has the knowledge and talent to be a HC here and many other places. That's not in dispute.

The red flag, elephant in the room, etc. is that he's looking for another job before the ink dries on his current contract. He was supposed to be locked into Vegas for at least a second season but still interviewed for the UTEP job. For example, he would leave Ohio State for the NFL, then leave the Jags for the KC Chiefs. His ambition is admirable. His loyalty is not.
This...
He probably is going to be a HC, it's fair to interview.. not my points. Being mentored by Odom for 2 years isn't enough for me to want to ever hire another assistant. It's like sometimes you learn your lessons and vow never again repeat the problem. Whittington had been on Utahs staff for 10 years, Peterson for 4 years with Hawkins... Marion would have 2 years. Marion also as stated has a history of job hopping to better jobs. If he's a hot candidate as an assistant, how long does it take to do so as a HC...
I just don't see how one can look at a single season body of work and go "yeah, it could work" given the history UNLV has at hiring first time D1 HCs

Bottom line is he can coach, and placed unlv in uncharted territory in terms of PPG. I do not want a Marvin Menzies type coach that is willing to stay in Vegas for ten years regardless of the results.

He had the blessing of Odom to interview with Utep. If you watch the interview posted earlier, Marion praised Odom to the hilt. Again, if you look at the coaches he’s worked alongside of (lanning, dillingham etc), they’re running big time programs now. So it’s understandable he’s got the itch and wants to prove himself.

Even Odom has recently said he allows Marion to be in other meetings to gain a better understanding of how a program is run. Certainly grooming him for the job not because Marion was interviewing for jobs but because Odom got a couple phone calls from programs that were kicking the tires .

Any smart person understands that Odom isn’t going to turn down a contract that pays more in one season than 5-6 seasons combined at UNLV.

This...
He probably is going to be a HC, it's fair to interview.. not my points. Being mentored by Odom for 2 years isn't enough for me to want to ever hire another assistant. It's like sometimes you learn your lessons and vow never again repeat the problem. Whittington had been on Utahs staff for 10 years, Peterson for 4 years with Hawkins... Marion would have 2 years. Marion also as stated has a history of job hopping to better jobs. If he's a hot candidate as an assistant, how long does it take to do so as a HC...
I just don't see how one can look at a single season body of work and go "yeah, it could work" given the history UNLV has at hiring first time D1 HCs
I'm a bit torn on this subject, and it is a scenario that a bit foreign for us UNLV fans.

We have never had a standing assistant coach take over for a successful leaving HC, at least not that I can remember. Hiring an assistant from within is an easier pill to swallow over first time HC from another program, just because they are more familiar with this job and its idiosyncrasies

That being said, if Odom is poached we will have a nice chunk of buyout money and more money in the budget given that the program has been more successful recently. I think you first swing for a bigger name, or more experienced coach. But Marion should be a candidate either way.

Last edited:
There is such a thing as loyalty with college coaches. But it is Old School and very limited. And it needs to go both ways. And we see it now almost exclusively in lower programs where winning isn't a lucrative.

Why would a coach show loyalty to any program that will dump him after two down years? And, knowing that, why would an administration hang on to a coach who is performing below standard when they know he'll leave as soon as he has a few good years and someone comes with a much bigger check?

I don't think it's a lack of loyalty as much as there is so much money involved for everyone. Coaches are looking at millions. Large University Presidents make from $ 1 million to $ 3.5 million. AD's in top P4 make over $ 1 million. None of these people can afford enough losing seasons that they get canned from their gravy train.

I imagine that if we have the type of year that Odom gets poached, Marion is already been hired as a HC at another program. Assistants tend to be hired away quicker than a HC that might be preparing for bowl season.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT