ADVERTISEMENT

BYU line

It’s at 4 and a half now. It would be good to beat BYU. It should be a well attended game. All of the Mormons are going to drive down. They drive back up as soon as the game is over.

Why would we be a dog to byu? We had a much easier time winning verse SJSU then byu, and we beat FSU while they lost. byu is a bad team.

I agree. BYU will come to play. They will not want to lose to us in football. It should be a tough game.

Reactions: unlv91
BYU is a bad football team. They just lost their QB last night too, out for the year. The back up Hoge is awful. There is no reason why we don't win this game. BYU will be physical but they have an extremely hard time scoring. With Hoge at QB they will be one dimensional. Load the box and make him beat us.

BYU's only win besides portland state (who is 0-9) was against San Jose State 40-21, we beat SJST 41-13. Our other common opponent was FSU who we beat and they lost to. We are at home, we SHOULD beat BYU... we are the favorite.

There are tons of BYU fans in Vegas. I don't if their disappointing season will stifle their attendance to this game or not.

It will be a neutral game at best for UNLV.

BYU still scares me some. You know they have talent on their roster. Despite their record, I worry about this game more than the rest.

Hopefully we can take care of biz

There are tons of BYU fans in Vegas. I don't if their disappointing season will stifle their attendance to this game or not.

It will be a neutral game at best for UNLV.

BYU still scares me some. You know they have talent on their roster. Despite their record, I worry about this game more than the rest.

Hopefully we can take care of biz
Eh, Hawaii had home/away field advantage and it didn’t help them. Id think BYU would “travel” a bit better than Hawai’i. About a quarter of this town seems to be Mormon and they’re prideful and supportive.

BYU does suck. But they’d beat Howard. But I can’t be completely sold after two solid games.

Sigh... I'm sick of hearing about Howard.

It was a bad, bad, loss. A game that we had no business losing.

But it was an extreme combination of a lot of things that went wrong that created that disaster. Overconfidence by players and the staff. And extremely watered down gameplan for Armani. Fluke plays, bad bounces. And it was still a close loss.

Sure we were 45 point faves. And we should have been big favorites. But that # is a guess, especially first game of the season

If we played Howard 10 more times, we'd win all 10.

Not trying to excuse it. It was a bad loss. A loss that still stings, since we would be in much better position if we had won. We are a different team now. You can't deny that.

In general, I'm not sold on this team being good enough to beat BYU. I agree with you there. Obviously have not seen enough consistency.

But it was an extreme combination of a lot of things that went wrong that created that disaster. Overconfidence by players and the staff. And extremely watered down gameplan for Armani. Fluke plays, bad bounces. And it was still a close loss.

Sure we were 45 point faves. And we should have been big favorites. But that # is a guess, especially first game of the season

Not trying to excuse it. It was a bad loss. A loss that still stings, since we would be in much better position if we had won. We are a different team now. You can't deny that.

In general, I'm not sold on this team being good enough to beat BYU. I agree with you there. Obviously have not seen enough consistency.

So let me get this straight, you are sick of hearing about the Howard loss but you aren't sick of writing about it. 7 paragraphs there devoted to it!

It’s not just the Howard loss. It just proves how bad you can actually be at times. Sure they’ve improved. But while improving they still lost a game in which they were up 27 and absolutely cruising. That just underscores how bad you can still be. Unraveling in the Utah State game.

Some of the football we’ve seen shows we can be pretty decent. And therein lies the issue. Huge inconsistency. Hard to bet on an inconsistent team. You just don’t know what you are going to get.

I do think we will beat BYU, but the thought of an inconsistent team that is no stranger to absolutely terrible football going up against a bunch of sucky 27 year olds that are pretty pissed off right now... yeah, we can drop it. I’d play BYU myself if forced. But because of these oddities, I’d stay away.

So let me get this straight, you are sick of hearing about the Howard loss but you aren't sick of writing about it. 7 paragraphs there devoted to it!

Well, I'm not the one bringing it up. And it isn't just Joe. So I feel like I have to justify why I think the Howard loss has little to do with the quality of the football program right now.

I think the Utah State loss, even AFA are more concerning.

The defense has been more consistent at the very least. Offense is also a little more consistent, though less explosive. So in a general sense, consistency seems to be better. So that's good.

Well, I'm not the one bringing it up. And it isn't just Joe. So I feel like I have to justify why I think the Howard loss has little to do with the quality of the football program right now.

The defense has been more consistent at the very least. Offense is also a little more consistent, though less explosive. So in a general sense, consistency seems to be better. So that's good.
You know how you sometimes get that sour taste in your mouth after throwing your arms up and saying “really? Wtf is this?” .... sometimes it lingers... In the face of improvement or not.

Not saying you brought it up, but hey let's see how long we can keep the BYU line thread going that got hijacked by Howard memories!

Just having a little fun, not getting on your case!

No worries. Pistol. It's not like Rebel-Net doesn't like to drum up old crap. Hell it should be in the byline of the website page!

I get it for you too Joe. That loss soured a lot of people, and probably hurt the yearly attendance by a significant amount this season.

Attendance is significantly down this year from last year, but that will be fixed due to a decent crowd for the Hawaii game, and a large crowd (tickets already sold) for the BYU game. What hurts is that we could have had a nice bump in attendance if the season had started off better or UNLV had not given up large leads in the second half to lose a couple of games they should have won. Without question UNLV should have been 6-3 or better right now.

Wow, I know we're at home but I thought we would be a double digit dog for sure.
Have you paid attention to BYU this year? They stink and are one of the most injured teams in college football. We wouldn't be a double digit dog if we were on the road.

Have you paid attention to BYU this year? They stink and are one of the most injured teams in college football. We wouldn't be a double digit dog if we were on the road.
I want to anhiliate them while we can. Kick a dog when it’s down. I want that mentality.

Plus, I want the UNR game to mean something more than Battle for the Cannon.

Being a unlv football fan, it is easy to take two decent games and interpret that as the new normal. But history suggests that it will take MORE than two games for the new, respectable, normal to be established. Regardless of how bad BYU may or may not be, the unpredictability of the rebels makes every game a toss of the dice.

Winning 40 to 14 would not surprise me. Nor would losing 40 to 14 surprise me. So buckle up and be prepared for the uncertainty that is rebel football Friday night. Go Rebels!

Losing 40-14 would surprise me. Not that we lost or that we only scored 14, but that BYU could score 40.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT