Bush

j. spilotro

Publisher
Staff
May 29, 2001
Las Vegas
unlv.rivals.com
league.

As much as I love the Rebels, I really despise the school. Even as a graduate. I'm not embarrassed to have a degree from there, but almost mad that I have one from there. Because I just don't like how they operate. Some things are ok, but a lot of it is a third rate way of doing business. It's been that way since I was a fan in the mid-80's.

I don't have the link handy, but there was a good article written recently about Hoiberg leaving Iowa State. And it reminded me, in some ways, of how UNLV handles things.

Over the years, I've bitched and moaned about a lot of things - from marketing, to television, to inept administrators, to ass-backwards boosters, to the state of the program, the press, recruiting and just about anything else at one time or another. I'm not one who usually bitches, I tend to go with the flow and just deal with it. So either it's really bad or I just know too much (there's a lot to be said about not knowing a ton, makes things easier to enjoy). It's probably a combination of both.

One of the latest things that I've brought up, probably too frequently, was a AD faux pas that I felt was made a few months ago. The staff has seemingly overcome the picture that was unnecessarily painted with bold colors, though I do know of at least one high level recruit it killed UNLV's chances with. Unfortunately, it may happen again with Kobi. I'm not saying it's been decided, but the screw up has been a major roadblock. I wouldn't be surprised if this staff overcomes it and lands him, but this one should have been easier. Of course, if he chooses another school, you won't read a quote attributed to one of the true reasons, but just so you know, it is having a negative impact.

Even so, if this staff rights the ship this season, UNLV has got to get thier crap in order across the board. Either you want to win big or pack up your crap and get out. There's a right way to do things, there's a wrong way. I can guarantee you that all big time programs have a set of attributes that are very similar. From travel to food to administrative to TV to venue (and venue availability) and a number of other things. Yes, money comes into play and UNLV doesn't have much. But that's up to the administrative to rectify.

I'm just saying, if you want to be big league, do the things that are required to be big league. The program itself is just one part of the entire equation. You can't shortcut everything and expect to get there.

Rant over.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News