ADVERTISEMENT

Boom! Secondary help is on the way

USC is picking up D3 wide receivers. There’s talent everywhere. It’s about building a team rather than a collection of failed recruiting darlings.
I agree with this a lot. In recent years, the talent gap is really dwindling between big teams and smaller teams. obviously the name brand schools are better, but its not like how it was before.

I agree with this a lot. In recent years, the talent gap is really dwindling between big teams and smaller teams. obviously the name brand schools are better, but its not like how it was before.
I would add the big schools are simply deeper than a UNLV!
A P4 team’s 2nd and 3rd team guys are very capable of making plays.
Now with late season injuries, the portal and guys going to the league most
P4 bowl teams are back ups stepping up and showing out on the big stage.

UNLV should be raiding FCS and DII guys who can play, it may be the only way to get depth. It is obvious that UNLV is not the destination that some here think. Look at how slow our recruiting is now, no DL, Edge or OL transfers yet… maybe or should I say hopefully we get things going by February!

I like these guys from Texas, NC State and Arkansas so far but we should continue to look at some quality guys who come from FCS and DII that come in with good health so they can play in spring ball!

Reactions: LVRebel2000
USC is picking up D3 wide receivers. There’s talent everywhere. It’s about building a team rather than a collection of failed recruiting darlings.
I’ll take the horses who were studs in HS and just need their chance….not D3 players going against high school backups.

Oh and if USC is taking someone from that level, it’s a major D1 player that couldn’t make grades and spent 1-2 years qualifying.

I’ll take the horses who were studs in HS and just need their chance….not D3 players going against high school backups.

Oh and if USC is taking someone from that level, it’s a major D1 player that couldn’t make grades and spent 1-2 years qualifying.

There's a few ways to look at it really.

Former 5 star guy that got buried behind other 5 star guys that just needs a chance.

Sometimes the grading services and coaches get it wrong. Guy looks the part. All the athleticism in the world but they never develop. Don't love the game, just happen to be good at it etc. Dominated at HS because they were just bigger and faster than everybody else, but when competing against other dudes like them, they fold. Think D Morgan basketball. What was he ranked? Like a top 25 prospect or something? Anybody want to try and convince me he was the 25th best recruit in the nation that year? Pat McCaw was an afterthought in that class and was worlds better than Morgan in my opinion.

Obviously if you have a need at a position, especially G5 school you take that gamble on a guy that might be in year three but hasnt seen the field and hope it's the first scenario not the second one.

But..

There's also value in guys like the Yale DT. At 6'3 290 he's hardly undersized. He dominated at a lower level like he should have. He's got actual playing time not three years of running scout team.

I think it really comes down to how good your staff is at evaluating talent.

How did the FCS or G5 guy perform vs better opposition.

If Odom thinks an FCS guy can play up a level I'll trust his evaluation until he gives reason not to.

Former 5 star guy that got buried behind other 5 star guys that just needs a chance.

Sometimes the grading services and coaches get it wrong. Guy looks the part. All the athleticism in the world but they never develop. Don't love the game, just happen to be good at it etc. Dominated at HS because they were just bigger and faster than everybody else, but when competing against other dudes like them, they fold. Think D Morgan basketball. What was he ranked? Like a top 25 prospect or something? Anybody want to try and convince me he was the 25th best recruit in the nation that year? Pat McCaw was an afterthought in that class and was worlds better than Morgan in my opinion.

Obviously if you have a need at a position, especially G5 school you take that gamble on a guy that might be in year three but hasnt seen the field and hope it's the first scenario not the second one.

But..

There's also value in guys like the Yale DT. At 6'3 290 he's hardly undersized. He dominated at a lower level like he should have. He's got actual playing time not three years of running scout team.

If Odom thinks an FCS guy can play up a level I'll trust his evaluation until he gives reason not to.
Reminds me of Tenpenny. More physical runner than Campbell, but just as fast as Lex. I was shocked that he was buried on the Alabama roster until I saw that the RB starting (Eddie Lacy) was a second round draft pick, and his back up (TJ Yeldon) was going place high too.

It didn’t mean Tenpenny wasn’t talented. He just knew he wasn’t going to overtake the other 5 stars on the roster (Derrick Henry and Josh Jacobs). He would have torn it up in the MW.

Last edited:
Reminds me of Tenpenny. More physical runner than Campbell, but just as fast as Lex. I was shocked that he was buried on the Alabama roster until I saw that the RB starting (Eddie Lacy) was a second round draft pick, and his back up (TJ Yeldon) was going place high too.

It didn’t mean Tenpenny wasn’t talented. He just knew he wasn’t going to overtake the other 5 star on the roster (Derrick Henry and Josh Jacobs). He would have torn it up in the MW.

Definitely would have.

Reactions: RebelinWA

But..

Very insightful post. I guess I was thinking of star positions like QB, WR, and RB. But to your point, I liked the idea of Harrison Bailey being 5 star out of Tenn and he didn’t quite work out. That doesn’t mean I like this Campbell alum coming in though….

Guys like Ricky White make me want all P5 guys! Haha.

Very insightful post. I guess I was thinking of star positions like QB, WR, and RB. But to your point, I liked the idea of Harrison Bailey being 5 star out of Tenn and he didn’t quite work out. That doesn’t mean I like this Campbell alum coming in though….

Guys like Ricky White make me want all P5 guys! Haha.

There's always gambles for sure.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT