ADVERTISEMENT

Board Member Responses

Boston Rebel 2

Retired Number
Gold Member
Sep 30, 2020
So I did send emails and already got two responses so they are checking. Thought I would start a thread with their responses. One of them invited me to call her. Will I? She said no decision has been made.

Susan Brager
you are welcome to call me at . The board has not made any decision we just got this information yesterday.

Jeffrey Downs
Thank you, Scott. You raise some good points and I will consider them if they come up at a board meeting. This is certainly an area I need to inform myself about.

Jeff

So I did send emails and already got two responses so they are checking. Thought I would start a thread with their responses. One of them invited me to call her. Will I? She said no decision has been made.

Susan Brager
you are welcome to call me at . The board has not made any decision we just got this information yesterday.

Jeffrey Downs
Thank you, Scott. You raise some good points and I will consider them if they come up at a board meeting. This is certainly an area I need to inform myself about.

Jeff
Brager is on NSHE board?!

Reactions: LVRebel2000

Susan Brager

Jeffrey Downs

Jeff

I need to inform myself about..

YA THINK!

Reactions: Boston Rebel 2

Susan Brager

Jeffrey Downs

Jeff

You get an A+ on your assignment.

Reactions: Boston Rebel 2
For what it is worth from Byron Brooks, it sounds like the quote of us turning it down due to Reno is false.

Thank you for your thoughtful email.

I believe it's important to note that UNLV has not been invited to the PAC 12, unless there has been some developing news that I am not aware of.

The Board has taken no action on this matter, as nothing has come before the Board. As with other campuses, if a campus decides to move conferences, it eventually comes before the board for a vote. The last time that happened was in February of this year when the College of Southern Nevada asked for a regional change for the baseball team. The board voted unanimously to approve it.

When the news came that four institutions were leaving for the PAC 12, I was quoted as saying that I believe the move to the conference (if invited) should be a package deal with the two institutions. My thought was that elevating both campuses would be great for our state.

I also said that I understand the market value of a UNLV invite, and I could see the attractiveness of an independent move. If UNLV gets an invite, it will come before the Board for a vote. The decision for a conference change does not rest with one Regent.

I hope I was able to provide some clarification to this, and I welcome continued dialogue with you.

For what it is worth from Byron Brooks, it sounds like the quote of us turning it down due to Reno is false.

I believe it's important to note that UNLV has not been invited to the PAC 12, unless there has been some developing news that I am not aware of.

The Board has taken no action on this matter, as nothing has come before the Board. As with other campuses, if a campus decides to move conferences, it eventually comes before the board for a vote. The last time that happened was in February of this year when the College of Southern Nevada asked for a regional change for the baseball team. The board voted unanimously to approve it.

When the news came that four institutions were leaving for the PAC 12, I was quoted as saying that I believe the move to the conference (if invited) should be a package deal with the two institutions. My thought was that elevating both campuses would be great for our state.

I also said that I understand the market value of a UNLV invite, and I could see the attractiveness of an independent move. If UNLV gets an invite, it will come before the Board for a vote. The decision for a conference change does not rest with one Regent.

I hope I was able to provide some clarification to this, and I welcome continued dialogue with you.
Mr. Brooks word per word said exactly the same thing to me.

Are they ever prepared? Remember that Charlie Foxtrot with that 🤡 Beard ! SMH

Thing is if (and I stress if because I dont know) PAC and the four schools invited did this behind the scenes then there would be no way for the Regents to know or be prepared.

We are all under the assumption that UNLV was included in this decision by the PAC and the other 4 that were invited.

Remaing 2 PAC schools got a bundle of money.

They used some of that money to lure 4 schools by paying exit fees. Why only 4? Because a 5th or 6th school would have lead to increasing the exit fees. It was a way for MWC to protect itself from complete implosion.

It was a power move and the first move of many in the game.

This puts pressure on the remaining MWC schools to figure it out.

Of the remaining schools AF has the softest landing. They can easily jump to AAC to join Army and Navy.

MWC would now be down to 7 and no longer a conference.

PAC just got the domino's started.

There's talk of PAC courting Memphis and Tulane. But the PAC currently have no TV deal. AAC TV deal is worth 7 million. Why would either leave unless they could get a similiar deal?

I think the PAC hopes a couple more (like UNLV) come knocking and work out their own exit fees.

MWC conference could stand firm but the risk in that is UNLV and AF bolt when contract is up.

The smart move for MWC would be let anyone who wants to walk out for a lesser exit fee now. Take that money and court/merge with CUSA.

It's like free agency in sports. You can trade a disgruntled player for less than he's worth now, or get zero in return next year when he becomes a free agent.

While that may be true, he stated that the Board of Regents will vote on any move.

Thing is if (and I stress if because I dont know) PAC and the four schools invited did this behind the scenes then there would be no way for the Regents to know or be prepared.

We are all under the assumption that UNLV was included in this decision by the PAC and the other 4 that were invited.

They used some of that money to lure 4 schools by paying exit fees. Why only 4? Because a 5th or 6th school would have lead to increasing the exit fees. It was a way for MWC to protect itself from complete implosion.

Of the remaining schools AF has the softest landing. They can easily jump to AAC to join Army and Navy.

There's talk of PAC courting Memphis and Tulane. But the PAC currently have no TV deal. AAC TV deal is worth 7 million. Why would either leave unless they could get a similiar deal?

I think the PAC hopes a couple more (like UNLV) come knocking and work out their own exit fees.

MWC conference could stand firm but the risk in that is UNLV and AF bolt when contract is up.

The smart move for MWC would be let anyone who wants to walk out for a lesser exit fee now. Take that money and court/merge with CUSA.

It's like free agency in sports. You can trade a disgruntled player for less than he's worth now, or get zero in return next year when he becomes a free agent.
Why not just invite enough members to dissolve the MWC and pay zero exit fees??

Because they would legally have to pay them. There's a contract in place. The PAC would have to pay that.

Not to mention they don't want all of the MWC.

They just made the first few chops of the tree. Now waiting for gravity to do the rest.

I wish it were that easy. UNLV and AF may be able to get out and hope for an invite to the AAC but, the others have no place else to go. Those others won't vote for a dissolution. We are going to end up paying for our own exit fee is what I'm afraid of. I'm also afraid we will hear our school President say we don't have the money.

I wish it were that easy. UNLV and AF may be able to get out and hope for an invite to the AAC but, the others have no place else to go. Those others won't vote for a dissolution. We are going to end up paying for our own exit fee is what I'm afraid of. I'm also afraid we will hear our school President say we don't have the money.
I'm the biggest Homer ever. And even I, If I was a Regent, would not vote to pay $ 17 million to join a conference that SDSU just got in for free.

Because they would legally have to pay them. There's a contract in place. The PAC would have to pay that.

Not to mention they don't want all of the MWC.

They just made the first few chops of the tree. Now waiting for gravity to do the rest.
But if you dissolve you don’t have to pay the contract goes away. I guess they didn’t want them is the answer but it seems an easier way to go plus you get where you need to be a conference.

But if you dissolve you don’t have to pay the contract goes away. I guess they didn’t want them is the answer but it seems an easier way to go plus you get where you need to be a conference.

True, so could you argue we already dissolved because Hawaii is football only leaving us with only 7 teams in all Olympic sports when 8 is needed for conference recognition?

The articles I read said you need a majority vote so that would be the four that left plus two more?
The four that have given notice no longer have a vote in the MWC. Just like last year when SDSU tried to leave the MWC to join the Pac12. The minute the notice was received by the MWC the SDSU President was off the board and no longer had a vote.

The articles I read said you need a majority vote so that would be the four that left plus two more?

That sounds right.

Here's the problem (for UNLV if they want to get out) UNM/USU/Wyoming/SJSU/Reno aren't going to want to disband if they have no landing spot or there isn't a plan in place to replace further defections (UNLV/AFA) .

That’s not how it works at all. If we said we are leaving why would the MWC cut us a break in exit fees? The answer is they wouldn’t. The reason why is your example doesn’t apply. This isn’t free agency.

MWC schools have signed contracts with the conference. With 2 years notice they pay $17mm, with one year notice they pay $34mm. Plus distributions stop when they give notice.

There’s a reason why the ACC isn’t caving to FSU and Clemson even though they want to leave and cut a deal. The remaining schools that aren’t leaving want the full amount owed on the contract. The situation here is the same.

I spoke with a board member and she said in no way has this been discussed with board members. She said not even behind the scenes casual type conversations as far as she is aware. No board members have mentioned it to her. She fully supports each of the universities making their own independent decisions should that occur. She has no official idea why UNLV wasn't invited but has heard rumors that it is because Las Vegas is now considered a professional sports city and that college support has a ceiling in Las Vegas. They also don't need UNLV to access the Vegas market. Rumor is they are targeting the AAC next and if that falls through they could come back to UNLV. Or if the MWC implodes they would take UNLV they just don't view us worth paying the exit fees. Also they want Gonzaga and St. Mary's for basketball. All of this a rumor that she heard from one person for what it is worth.

You will absolutely hear that UNLV doesn’t have the money. The athletic dept is $35M in the red. Unless the State of NV of LVCVA or large donors or a combination of those step up, there money isn’t there.

You will absolutely hear that UNLV doesn’t have the money. The athletic dept is $35M in the red. Unless the State of NV of LVCVA or large donors or a combination of those step up, there money isn’t there.
That is why we need to get all schools in the remaining MWC to agree to shut down the conference and accept an AAC invite, IF IT COMES. Yeah, there is no guarantee the AAC wants all of us but if it is offered you take it. **** the MWC. They are dead and there is no way they can rebuild it.

I'm the biggest Homer ever. And even I, If I was a Regent, would not vote to pay $ 17 million to join a conference that SDSU just got in for free.

Not taking a shot at you personally here.

But if that is the sentiment of UNLV president.

We continue to die a slow death...There is no path to success or improving UNLV in a depleted MWC. There are simply no candidates to attract to the MWC that match what has been lost or keep the MWC at its current level.

Merging with CUSA does nothing..We go from being in arguably the top G5 conference to probably 3rd if not 4th behind new PAC and the AAC. Hell the MAC might even be stronger at that point.

UNLV has to go all in and take a risk, because half measures aren't going to cut it.

(Seriously do not take that post as a personal attack. Not my intention at all).

That is why we need to get all schools in the remaining MWC to agree to shut down the conference and accept an AAC invite, IF IT COMES. Yeah, there is no guarantee the AAC wants all of us but if it is offered you take it. **** the MWC. They are dead and there is no way they can rebuild it.
There simply aren't enough viable options out West to rebuild.

There are some decent potential additions out there if you were looking to expand like Texas State. But not to rebuild.

Reactions: Meister_Rebel
What do you mean for free? You have a source for that? In other words, you are saying that the Pac-2 is paying the $17M exit fee for SDSU and I assume the other 3. Really? Please share......

As an aside, I thought that the e-mail response from your Regent was nice. Didn't catch which one - sounded like a woman wrote it......(not being a smart ass)

I spoke with a board member and she said in no way has this been discussed with board members. She said not even behind the scenes casual type conversations as far as she is aware. No board members have mentioned it to her. She fully supports each of the universities making their own independent decisions should that occur. She has no official idea why UNLV wasn't invited but has heard rumors that it is because Las Vegas is now considered a professional sports city and that college support has a ceiling in Las Vegas. They also don't need UNLV to access the Vegas market. Rumor is they are targeting the AAC next and if that falls through they could come back to UNLV. Or if the MWC implodes they would take UNLV they just don't view us worth paying the exit fees. Also they want Gonzaga and St. Mary's for basketball. All of this a rumor that she heard from one person for what it is worth.
What school from the new Pac has any access to the LV market? Those schools can barely hold their own markets!

What do you mean for free? You have a source for that? In other words, you are saying that the Pac-2 is paying the $17M exit fee for SDSU and I assume the other 3. Really? Please share......

As an aside, I thought that the e-mail response from your Regent was nice. Didn't catch which one - sounded like a woman wrote it......(not being a smart ass)
You are probably correct here. There are two posts around 1/3 into the original thread (not backed by sources) that indicate the PAC will pay the fees. There is also a quote from the Fresno State President that payment from the PAC for the $ 17 million is "in the works." Beyond that I can't find sources that say the PAC will pay or help pay the $ 17 mil from any school.

That’s not how it works at all. If we said we are leaving why would the MWC cut us a break in exit fees? The answer is they wouldn’t. The reason why is your example doesn’t apply. This isn’t free agency.

MWC schools have signed contracts with the conference. With 2 years notice they pay $17mm, with one year notice they pay $34mm. Plus distributions stop when they give notice.

There’s a reason why the ACC isn’t caving to FSU and Clemson even though they want to leave and cut a deal. The remaining schools that aren’t leaving want the full amount owed on the contract. The situation here is the same.
The exit fees are actually set where the fee is doubled with less than one year notice. The lower exit fee is based on a minimum one year notice. As the four MWC schools are leaving in 2026 they still pay the minimum exit fee.

The actual exit fee may vary annually based on the income revenue of the school. The revenue I speak of is the media rights, NCAA units, and even the $1 million we got from the Pac12 for the scheduling agreement. Therefor the minimum exit fee could be higher or lower. But I do believe saying $17 million is appropriate because that is probably where it's at right now.

I do love that they will get zero income over the next few years and I hope that is distributed to us to help pay our exit fee.

edit: As I think about it Boise's exit fee may be closer to $21 million as they receive a higher annual distribution of media rights. Hopefully, Gloria is on top of that.

Last edited:
One more from Heather Brown:

Thank you for your email. I share your frustration with the news, but before I dig into that, I want to clarify one big thing. This was by no way shape or form anything that the board of regents did. There was never a vote. There was never even an agenda item. There are still unanswered questions whether there was even a conversation at the university level.

I would recommend reaching out to the Presidents office with your concerns. And for your situational awareness, the Regents are having our next Regent meeting on October 1 and I would encourage you to participate in public comment.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT