ADVERTISEMENT

Attendance

WarthogRebel

Rebel Legend
Gold Member
Dec 31, 2006
I don't expect a big crowd unless Boise travels well.

Question: How much of an attendance boost would there be if we were going into the game undefeated?

I figure an additional 3,000.

Reactions: Bullmastiff 1
If UNLV went into the game undefeated you could figure at least 10K more. UNLV sold a lot more tickets then the number of people who went to the first games.

Boise does travel well. Best in MWC by far. This will be the largest attendance of the season. I think 8-10k more would come out if we were undefeated playing the #16 team in the country.

Reactions: Bullmastiff 1

Last night was the largest “announced” attendance in 5 years. That UCLA game was the first home game of the Sanchez era.

Hawaii games used to be wild 10 years ago but Chow really killed their fan support. Rolo seems to have turned it around so maybe that will change back soon.

I know some people like having the UNR game on thanksgiving weekend but the crowds have been disappointing. Attendance is way down for the games in Reno too. I know the sample size is low but maybe they should consider moving it back to October.

Come on now...

If UNLV was undefeated, including a win at Northwestern, heading in to game against ranked Boise, people would show up.

Vegas fans will show if there is a buzz, I think 30K would be there. There would definitely be some hype.

Now if they lost, then there would be a huge drop off. And people wouldn't come back even if we won, unless it was against a named opponent likely. At least not near the same level.

If UNLV went into the game undefeated you could figure at least 10K more. UNLV sold a lot more tickets then the number of people who went to the first games.

Coming off a win vs a ranked ASU squad UNLV was 2-1.

They played P5 Iowa State..

Attendance was just under 26k.

I figure if UNLV was 3-0 or 2-1 you probably get another 3k out there against Boise State.

To get to 30+ you probably need a Wisconsin...

Coming off a win vs a ranked ASU squad UNLV was 2-1.

They played P5 Iowa State..

Attendance was just under 26k.

I figure if UNLV was 3-0 or 2-1 you probably get another 3k out there against Boise State.

To get to 30+ you probably need a Wisconsin...
After 4 straight 2 win seasons Vegas was a little slow to get behind that team. However, after they beat Iowa State 33k came out the next week. Unfortunately that was against a Kaepernick led UNR team and he went off for 400 and 5 td's.

I remember this time vividly because in the last 15 years that 2 week stretch was the most excited I've been about UNLV football.

#15 Arizona State - Win 23-20 in OT
Iowa State - Win 34-31 in OT
UNR - Up 10-0 5 minutes in to the game! (Blown out after that)

Anyways, Vegas will support a winner. You're right that the opponent does matter but moving into the new stadium the future schedules look great. If UNLV is winning we would set all kinds of attendance records over the next 5 years. If we're still having garbage 2-4 win seasons nobody will care about UNLV football 5 years from now.

Reactions: dcut03
After 4 straight 2 win seasons Vegas was a little slow to get behind that team. However, after they beat Iowa State 33k came out the next week. Unfortunately that was against a Kaepernick led UNR team and he went off for 400 and 5 td's.

I remember this time vividly because in the last 15 years that 2 week stretch was the most excited I've been about UNLV football.

Anyways, Vegas will support a winner. You're right that the opponent does matter but moving into the new stadium the future schedules look great. If UNLV is winning we would set all kinds of attendance records over the next 5 years. If we're still having garbage 2-4 win seasons nobody will care about UNLV football 5 years from now.

ASU followed by Iowa State is a decent comp, but...

Being undefeated, maybe receiving votes by that point, with a ranked Boise coming in, I think that would give us 30k for sure.

Totally agree. That was as fun a stretch as I have had as a fan over the last 20 years.

I think that kind of confirms what I was saying, I'm not sure even with a 3-0 start we would have seen 30k + vs Boise. People are very reluctant to buy in after last season.

The future schedules helps. The bump from the new stadium helps. But new car smell wears off, and if there isn't any progress starting next year, you'll be seeing crowds of 20k in a 60k+ seat stadium. Makes for an awful atmosphere..

That team suffered 3 late/last minute losses. BYU, Air Force and CSU who they lead with 6 minutes left in game only for wheels to come off. Sanford was really close that year.

Tells you how bad things are, that might have been the best UNLV team in the Hauck/Sanford/Sanchez combined eras...

Reactions: RebNReno
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT