ADVERTISEMENT

ASU game

WarthogRebel

Rebel Legend
Gold Member
Dec 31, 2006
What do the Rebs have to do for the game to be a success?

Some will say - play hard and compete. But what will that mean in terms of actual game success? 1st downs - rushing yards, completions etc.

Do we need to do as well as SUU for it to be a success? Do we need to cover? Will two good drives be enough?

The Number 1 & 2 things, ASU doesn't show up mentally to play, then they turn the ball over 4 times in the 1st half deep in their territory and UNLV gets 4 touchdowns from them, that's how they can compete and win, that's about it, I don't give them much of chance.

The game will be closer than people think. ASU is under huge investigation by the NCAA. Fired couple coaches already. Brumfield will make a big difference. The starting safety was ejected first quarter last game that made big difference. If we can run the ball it will be good game.

ASU as a team plays down to their competition all the time. Their QB can play spectacular, last year against Oregon or pedestrian like last week against SUU or last year against UCLA. Here’s hoping they look past us, to make it interesting!

Reactions: rickyb55
I'll consider it a success if we get 1 TD or more, 10 first downs or more and limit them 35 pts. or less and under 500 yards total.

I'll consider it a success if we get 1 TD or more, 10 first downs or more and limit them 35 pts. or less and under 500 yards total.
35 and under 500 would be a good showing by the defense. 1 TD and 10 first downs would be a complete failure on offense. This is ASU not Georgia! (SUU had 2 TD’s and 15 first downs.) I’d like to see us in the end zone 2 or 3 times. Preferably some good drives in the first half but at this point I’d be glad to see them scoring in garbage time of the 4th quarter blowout.

What do the Rebs have to do for the game to be a success?

Some will say - play hard and compete. But what will that mean in terms of actual game success? 1st downs - rushing yards, completions etc.

Do we need to do as well as SUU for it to be a success? Do we need to cover? Will two good drives be enough?

Be in the game into the 3rd quarter. Similiar to the USC/UCLA games a few years back.

35 and under 500 would be a good showing by the defense. 1 TD and 10 first downs would be a complete failure on offense. This is ASU not Georgia! (SUU had 2 TD’s and 15 first downs.) I’d like to see us in the end zone 2 or 3 times. Preferably some good drives in the first half but at this point I’d be glad to see them scoring in garbage time of the 4th quarter blowout.
"1 TD and 10 first downs would be a complete failure on offense."

SUU got 15 1st downs and the came within 27pts. Better than the books think we will do ( 33 pt. dogs ). From that, I thought that 10 first downs would be a reasonable goal.

I'll have liquid meds on hand to kill the pain.....Don't worry.... just a good chardonnay and a blonde to treat my emotional wounds. PS I was at UNLV in the Cunningham days. FUN!

UNLV needs to run the ball and eat clock to keep ASU’s offense off the field. Brum needs to convert 3rd down passes when needed. Do that and limit turnovers ad they have a shot… to not be embarrassed.

UNLV has never lost to ASU (UNLV won 23-20)
UNLV has never lost to a ranked ASU team (UNLV won 23-20)
UNLV had one of there best wins every verse 13th ranked ASU (UNLV won 23-20)
UNLV has never lost at Arizona State (UNLV won 23-20)

What I do not know is what was the line back in 2008 - My best bet is it was a point spread of around 30+

What I do not know is what was the line back in 2008 - My best bet is it was a point spread of around 30+

ASU had Georgia the following week. The Rebels cancelled ESPN Game Day with their win.

ESPN went with another game after the ASU loss.

Oh the memories.

Sun Devils travel to Provo to face BYU after us. That's a big game for them. Maybe we can hope for them to come out flat and be looking ahead.

Does Philip Payne have any eligibility left?

I'll be happy if there is some uncomfortable rumblings from the home crowd heading into the 4th quarter..Similiar to the UCLA game.

Don't forget.....UNLV has NEVER lost to ASU when they are at home. Just say'in.

Well you were pretty dang close on your predictions. I guess it was a success we got 1 TD and 11 first downs. (I think we had 10 of those first downs before halftime)

Well you were pretty dang close on your predictions. I guess it was a success we got 1 TD and 11 first downs. (I think we had 10 of those first downs before halftime)

First half offense was pretty solid.

Moved the ball well on a couple drives. Didn't have to use any gimmicks or nonsense plays.

Second half was bad..

Receivers probably have 6-8 legit drops in two weeks.

Vs a team like ASU, UNLV can't afford 2nd and 3rd and long. Playbook shrinks and it becomes more athlete on athlete.

Defense improved quite a bit this week. They did wear down in the 2nd half. Offense has a long way to go. At this point in his career, Brumfield seems to look at his first option and then tuck and run if not open. Need much more consistency in the running game, but won’t get that until teams know that the passing game is a threat.

Man, Rogers is completely unplayable. His play was horrible and his body language walking off the field without a care in the world was worse.

Reactions: rickyb55
Defense improved quite a bit this week. They did wear down in the 2nd half. Offense has a long way to go. At this point in his career, Brumfield seems to look at his first option and then tuck and run if not open. Need much more consistency in the running game, but won’t get that until teams know that the passing game is a threat.

It was his 2nd career start. He's a redshirt freshman.

There's something to work with there.

It was his 2nd career start. He's a redshirt freshman.

There's something to work with ther
Yes, not discounting the fact he’s young and inexperienced. Just on observation. He also, tends to throw his “fastball” on most of his passes. Hopefully develops a little more touch. I think this has contributed to some of the drops by the WRs. He actually reminds me quite of bit of a faster, albeit smaller, Jason Thomas.

Yes, not discounting the fact he’s young and inexperienced. Just on observation. He also, tends to throw his “fastball” on most of his passes. Hopefully develops a little more touch. I think this has contributed to some of the drops by the WRs. He actually reminds me quite of bit of a faster, albeit smaller, Jason Thomas.

Reminds me body type of Caleb Herring.

I like his composure. Touch could use some work. Agree there.

Last week four what I would call bad drops. This week more bad drops.

If I had a complaint about play calling this week, Rebels never took a shot downfield to loosen the defense.

From what I can see it looked like UNLV played very well for the entire game with the exception of when they changed QB's late in the game (far better than I expect most thought they would). Based on what they did, I expect UNLV should be competitive in most of their games from here on out as long as the QB can stay healthy.

From what I can see it looked like UNLV played very well for the entire game with the exception of when they changed QB's late in the game (far better than I expect most thought they would). Based on what they did, I expect UNLV should be competitive in most of their games from here on out as long as the QB can stay healthy.

Brumfield's numbers weren't great, but he was composed. Hit a couple of nice throws, kept some plays alive with his legs. Drops continue to be a problem. Receivers need to start making some plays for their QB..

Defensively, they bent a lot, but got tough inside the 35. ASU QB has great feet and really killed them in 3rd and long spots, scrambling for a number of first downs.

Straight up vs the run Rebels held their own. ASU's top back I think finished with 22 Carrie's for 90 yards. They just had no answer for the QB.

Pass coverage was good early on. Forced their QB to tuck and run a lot.

Rebels better hope Brumfield is healthy for next week.

I feel bad for Justin Rogers, he just seems like he lacks confidence.

If Brumfield can't go, it's open competition this week so we may see Martell.

Reactions: MonsterJam
Brumfield's numbers weren't great, but he was composed. Hit a couple of nice throws, kept some plays alive with his legs. Drops continue to be a problem. Receivers need to start making some plays for their QB..

Defensively, they bent a lot, but got tough inside the 35. ASU QB has great feet and really killed them in 3rd and long spots, scrambling for a number of first downs.

Straight up vs the run Rebels held their own. ASU's top back I think finished with 22 Carrie's for 90 yards. They just had no answer for the QB.

Pass coverage was good early on. Forced their QB to tuck and run a lot.

Rebels better hope Brumfield is healthy for next week.

I feel bad for Justin Rogers, he just seems like he lacks confidence.

If Brumfield can't go, it's open competition this week so we may see Martell.
Based on the sample size, I don’t see how they can feel comfortable starting Rogers again.

If Brumfield is ruled out, I’d hope that they would give a legitimate look at putting in Martell. Won’t be an easy situation against ISU, but I don’t think Martell expects anything easy here.

Based on the sample size, I don’t see how they can feel comfortable starting Rogers again.

If Brumfield is ruled out, I’d hope that they would give a legitimate look at putting in Martell. Won’t be an easy situation against ISU, but I don’t think Martell expects anything easy here.

Agreed on Rogers.

What a fantastic situation for a new QB. NOBODY expects anything and the current backup is an extreme disappointment. If a new guy comes in and shines he could take over the lead. If he sucks, everybody expected it - no worries.

Reactions: RebelScrub
Southern Cal just fired their coach after a loss to Stanford last weekend. I wish UNLV had money $$$$. We are stuck with Arroyo ball for awhile.

What a fantastic situation for a new QB. NOBODY expects anything and the current backup is an extreme disappointment. If a new guy comes in and shines he could take over the lead. If he sucks, everybody expected it - no worries.
Tate fell right into his lap..

I think he gets some reps against ISU.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT