ADVERTISEMENT

As the game went

j. spilotro

Publisher
Staff
May 29, 2001
Las Vegas
unlv.rivals.com
honestly, not too disappointed. Could have played better and we did get the big breaks in the game and coulda/shoulda won it. But left a couple too many points at the FT line and were a little unlucky at the end.

I liked two things. Menzies actually called a timeout when UNM went on a run before the U12. I can’t remember the loss we took - I think it was at BSU, where he didn’t call the timeout, waited for the U12, and the lead ballooned more. I know the argument was to save your timeouts until the end... in this game, we still had the timeout we needed at the end, and once again, instead of doing what failed us miserably in the past - not calling a timeout and letting the players decide what to do amid confusion. Today we called it and you know what? It was a simple play, it was an effective play. We got a super wide open look and of course we missed, but we had two opportunities at the end to put it back. We didn’t. That’s the way the ball bounces sometimes. You win some that way, you lose some that way. But I liked seeing some semblance of “we know what we are doing” at the end instead of saying “just go for it”.

Also, something else we rarely see. The timeout at the end of the first half with 3 seconds to go. Why not? I think every coach should utilize them in that situation. Not necessarily because it gets you points - it did today, beautifully - but it’s a definite teaching/practice point. Have to take advantage of those. I’d do it if I were down 15 or up 15 just for that. You don’t get many in game opportunities to practice those.

So no, I don’t have a problem with the solitary result.

Ps, Juice is so much more valuable than McCoy. Doesn’t have the talent. But has the intangibles that McCoy lacks.

7th place with two to go, but extremely winnable; if won, I suspect they may be able to slip into the 5th spot. A split is going to mean 6th or worse.

That part I have a problem with. It’s horsecrap. That we are 3-4 when you want to start peaking, that we were 0-7 in February last year.... it’s a garbage trend that says even amid mediocre teams, we tire, give up, lose the team... however you want to term it, we don’t play our best basketball late. Whether you are good or you suck, you want to uptick at the end of the year.

Reactions: CRhodes1983
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News