ADVERTISEMENT

Arroyo starting Brumfield against Arizona State

ashtonw1028

Walk On
Aug 18, 2021

The right choice to make, and the person he should have started against Eastern Washington. They would have won that game if Brumfield started the game. Hopefully, he will lead the Rebels to a couple of wins this season.

The right choice to make, and the person he should have started against Eastern Washington. They would have won that game if Brumfield started the game. Hopefully, he will lead the Rebels to a couple of wins this season.
I agree that we likely would have won the game, but we'll never know unfortunately. Either way, just based on the way Brumfield came out and threw the ball, the defense won't be able to key on the running game like EW was doing in the first half. There was just no threat to throw the ball. Hopefully, that'll open things up more for Chuck to break off some long runs.

“After looking at it and going through the tape with the guys, it’s almost impossible to not acknowledge the growth and good stuff we saw from a lot of guys, and a lot of the things we did. We really hone in on that good stuff because it’s worth celebrating for our group and making sure we acknowledge that, because if you can’t get the feedback to the guys… then what good is it for?”

Yeah, acknowledge the positive but, geez...! I hope he didn't send everyone home with a participation trophy. Expected a little bit about having identified areas that need cleaning up and focusing a bit more on them this week. That said, I think the WRs will benefit from a week working with the lefty spin on the ball.

“After looking at it and going through the tape with the guys, it’s almost impossible to not acknowledge the growth and good stuff we saw from a lot of guys, and a lot of the things we did. We really hone in on that good stuff because it’s worth celebrating for our group and making sure we acknowledge that, because if you can’t get the feedback to the guys… then what good is it for?”

Yeah, acknowledge the positive but, geez...! I hope he didn't send everyone home with a participation trophy. Expected a little bit about having identified areas that need cleaning up and focusing a bit more on them this week. That said, I think the WRs will benefit from a week working with the lefty spin on the ball.
You probably know I’m not a fan of overdoing participation trophies. Produces gooey soft people.

At times, yes, it may be appropriate but you’re better off erring on the side of skimping with them than overdoing it.

Reactions: rebneck
You probably know I’m not a fan of overdoing participation trophies. Produces gooey soft people.

At times, yes, it may be appropriate but you’re better off erring on the side of skimping with them than overdoing it.

Justin Rogers looks like a guy that either doesn't trust what he is seeing, or is still concerned/tentative because of his injury. Just seemed hesitant.

Feel for the guy. Was a very highly touted prospect coming out of high school. Suffered a brutal injury. Some thought it a long shot he could play again.

Brumfield just looked more composed. Ball got out quicker, on time and on target.

Barring injury or a complete meltdown, I expect him to be the starter the rest of the season.

Justin Rogers looks like a guy that either doesn't trust what he is seeing, or is still concerned/tentative because of his injury. Just seemed hesitant.

Feel for the guy. Was a very highly touted prospect coming out of high school. Suffered a brutal injury. Some thought it a long shot he could play again.

Brumfield just looked more composed. Ball got out quicker, on time and on target.

Barring injury or a complete meltdown, I expect him to be the starter the rest of the season.
Last year was such a strange year that many think it “didn’t count”. With this year being closer to normal and him winning the start - it seemed like he had the deer in the headlights in his first “real” opportunity. He just looked so indecisive and scared to make a mistake.

Brumfield at least popped a little bit. It was a clear difference. One guy looked like a freshman in his first game vs Alabama and the other looked like he’s had a season under his belt.

Reactions: 76RunninRebel
Last year was such a strange year that many think it “didn’t count”. With this year being closer to normal and him winning the start - it seemed like he had the deer in the headlights in his first “real” opportunity. He just looked so indecisive and scared to make a mistake.

Brumfield at least popped a little bit. It was a clear difference. One guy looked like a freshman in his first game vs Alabama and the other looked like he’s had a season under his belt.

I can tell one thing about last year. And we weren't the only team it happened to, so not crying about it but.

There were a number of players who got contact traces last year a day or two before games and couldn't play. A few of them missed multiple games. Most never tested positive. It was a crap show.

Not an excuse, but when your as thin as we are, definitely doesn't help.

I'm sure Rogers can ball in practice or he wouldn't have won the job. Something happened to him. It was like he couldn't read, couldn't see, couldn't execute. I wonder if he got a case of the yips or the twisties like that Wisc QB a few years back. Thankfully he didn't try to do much outside of his sudden limitations or things could've been worse. Thankfully the defense was able to keep a good EW offense within reach for more than a half despite the O not susaining any drives. Hindsight is 20/20 and I'm sure the staff is thinking, "man, that really made us look dumb starting Rogers".

I do hope that Rogers can get some confidence, because he has the physical tools to be a stud. Just a matter of whether or not he has the mental part under control. It didn't look like it in game 1, but we may still need him this year, so I hope he gets it together.

Any word on Tate getting more practice reps these days? Is he back to healthy now, or still recovering from the thumb?

Brumfield is clearly the better option of the 2. I thought that last season even. After losing to EWU I’ve changed my mind on Tate. I didn’t think we’d see him at QB with such little practice time but if we lose to UTSA and start 0-5 I think Martell is going to get a shot. We have a bye after UTSA so he could get 2 weeks to prepare for a home game vs Utah State.

Brumfield is clearly the better option of the 2. I thought that last season even. After losing to EWU I’ve changed my mind on Tate. I didn’t think we’d see him at QB with such little practice time but if we lose to UTSA and start 0-5 I think Martell is going to get a shot. We have a bye after UTSA so he could get 2 weeks to prepare for a home game vs Utah State.

Possible.

I'm not sure record matters so much as performance.

If Brumfield is playing well, but Rebs are still losing, and are 0-5, its unlikely Martell could salvage a season at that point. (I guess salvage would depend on your definition)

I don't see much difference in 2-10 and 4-8. I'd rather go 2-10 and Brumfield continue to get reps and improve vs Martell get those reps. One guy has two years left the other only one (Brumfield may be eligible for another, depending on Covid eligibility rules not sure).

I don't think you punish Brumfield if he is playing well especially since his next two games are against top 25 schools. If he stinks it up at UTSA and first conference game, sure you make that move then.

Possible.

If Brumfield is playing well, but Rebs are still losing, and are 0-5, its unlikely Martell could salvage a season at that point. (I guess salvage would depend on your definition)

I don't see much difference in 2-10 and 4-8. I'd rather go 2-10 and Brumfield continue to get reps and improve vs Martell get those reps. One guy has two years left the other only one (Brumfield may be eligible for another, depending on Covid eligibility rules not sure).

I don't think you punish Brumfield if he is playing well especially since his next two games are against top 25 schools. If he stinks it up at UTSA and first conference game, sure you make that move then.
This is the 'Transfer Portal Era' you could easily end up losing most of of your players ending up with a new set of guys every year. The smarter strategy is play-to-win to make your program more attractive to potential off-season additions, retain the guys on your roster & keep the fans honed in.

This is the 'Transfer Portal Era' you could easily end up losing most of of your players ending up with a new set of guys every year. The smarter strategy is play-to-win to make your program more attractive to potential off-season additions, retain the guys on your roster & keep the fans honed in.

Sure.

My question would be in the grand scheme of things do recruits see a difference between 2 and 4 wins? Majority of fan base? Probably not. Wouldn't change general perception of the program.

Martell was highly recruited. Talented, no doubt.

How many wins do you think he is worth? Hard to say.

Possible.

Yeah you definitely don’t want to punish Brumfield if he’s playing well but at some point CMA has to be thinking about wins. I don’t think he should be concerned about who the starting QB is in 2023. He needs to play the guy that can get the most wins over the next 2 years whether that’s Tate or Doug.

Martell is at the very least intriguing! I want to see if Brumfield is the real deal or was he benefiting from the circumstances of him not being game planned for.

Martell is at the very least intriguing! I want to see if Brumfield is the real deal or was he benefiting from the circumstances of him not being game planned for.
Based on last game, I thought Brumfield actually looked really good. If the receivers can get some extra work catching his left handed spinning balls, and he can learn to take a little bit of heat off of his throws in some cases, I think he's going to do well. He came out firing right away, which gave the defense something to worry about.

Now, obviously, he's going to be facing much bigger more physical defenses, so we'll see if he can make the same sorts of plays and throws vs. a legit D1 school. I think he'll be okay. I'm not so sure how our defense will hold up though.

That said, I am also intrigued to see what Tate has, assuming he's healthy. I say you start whoever gives you the best chance to win. Worry about next year when the time comes.

Yeah you definitely don’t want to punish Brumfield if he’s playing well but at some point CMA has to be thinking about wins. I don’t think he should be concerned about who the starting QB is in 2023. He needs to play the guy that can get the most wins over the next 2 years whether that’s Tate or Doug.

That's fair.

Personally I just don't see Tate coming in and winning 2 maybe 3 games as moving thr needle much. (Books had us at 1.5, so being generous I'll say Tate is worth an extra 2 wins)

If he had transferred after having started elsewhere and having some success. Maybe my view would be different. His most meaningful snaps came in mo up duty against Rutgers. That's about it. Not dismissing his talent, there just may not be enough around him)

Like I said, I don't think the Ws and Ls matter so much. By that I mean, if UNLV is losing but Brumfield is playing well why punish him? If Brumfield plays well, you start him regardless of wins and losses. If he stumbles, you go to Tate.

Purely a guess here...Doug gets the next 4. If he plays well he remains the starter all year.

If he looks overwhelmed then we may see Martell.

That’s a big concern with the new transfer portal. We’ve brought in some talent but how many of them want to sit through years of losing? I’m sure CMA sold them on the fact that they would be building something into a winner. If they follow up a winless season with a 1 win season it might be a tough sell knowing they have a free transfer available.

Sure.

My question would be in the grand scheme of things do recruits see a difference between 2 and 4 wins? Majority of fan base? Probably not. Wouldn't change general perception of the program.

Martell was highly recruited. Talented, no doubt.

How many wins do you think he is worth? Hard to say.

For a casual fan I don’t think it matters much at all but inside the locker room I think it’s a big difference. 4 wins could lift confidence and convince guys to stick around believing we’re ready to turn the corner next year. Losing every game is terrible for team morale regardless of how good CMA is spinning it. And I’m also not convinced Tate is going to bring that many W’s either. I think 4 wins is the absolute ceiling for this year. 1 or 2 looks much more likely to me now after EWU.

Reactions: LVRebel2000
That’s a big concern with the new transfer portal. We’ve brought in some talent but how many of them want to sit through years of losing? I’m sure CMA sold them on the fact that they would be building something into a winner. If they follow up a winless season with a 1 win season it might be a tough sell knowing they have a free transfer available.

For a casual fan I don’t think it matters much at all but inside the locker room I think it’s a big difference. 4 wins could lift confidence and convince guys to stick around believing we’re ready to turn the corner next year. Losing every game is terrible for team morale regardless of how good CMA is spinning it. And I’m also not convinced Tate is going to bring that many W’s either. I think 4 wins is the absolute ceiling for this year. 1 or 2 looks much more likely to me now after EWU.

Agree about the lockeroom.

Problem is we need the casual fan and new fans.

Until UNLV starts winning, and I mean 6+ wins for a three or four year stretch small strides like winning 4 games instead of two won't matter.

We're idiots, we follow this program. We need to win over the sensible folks who have spared themselves the grief..

When facing a qb debate we almost rolled the perfect outcome.
1. Rodgers showed he's a bust after giving him every opportunity to succeed he got pulled late in 3rd quarter after being ineffective.
2. Brumfield comes in and the offense reacts 58 yard bomb right down the middle. Scoring drives clutch 2 point conversion and back to back scoring drives in OT.
3. We lost a heartbreaker but outcome was on final play not the first drive in the 3rd quarter, which is where we were headed.
Good news qb situation cleared up real early in the season. Team knows who should start, reps no longer split in half, Rodgers doesn't see the field until Tate has his shot if D. Brumfield stumbles.
DB has so few reps in live action I hope he can grow exponentially before we face Fresno State. I certainly don't see us that far behind anybody we can be competitive, just need a qb to perform hopefully D. Brumfield is the guy.

We have never had a QB play the entire season without getting injured.

Caleb Herring played all 13 games of the 2013 season. The first two he came off the bench so he didn't start... but it became apparent by then that he was better than (Nick Sherry I think).

Caleb Herring played all 13 games of the 2013 season. The first two he came off the bench so he didn't start... but it became apparent by then that he was better than (Nick Sherry I think).

Yeah, Nick Sherry really showed some promise the year before. I think Hauck's inability to surround him with a good O-Line caused him to get shaken vs CSU late that same year. He was never the same after that, his struggles ensued into the following year when Caleb replaced him in the 3rd game.

Last edited:
I think starting Brumfield is the right call. But they did a good job of getting him some easy to read progressions, and he did get through his progressions well and put the ball in good spots. Probably a little too much mustard at times on this throws, (I don't think all those drops were the receivers fault), but he obviously showed a lot of promise.

But, I really want to keep getting back up guys snaps and series when it's not an 'oh man, this guy crapped the bed' moment. I'm not going to lie, I really like Cam Friel's tape, he doesn't have a huge arm but it's pretty good and he throws people open which I love to see.

Martell is active tonight. Not that I want to see him play but I am glad he’s at least healthy enough to be active.

Reactions: RebelScrub
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT