ADVERTISEMENT

Am I the only one?

Rebel1986

Rebel Legend
Feb 25, 2011
Las Vegas
While this is outside of sports, it is tied to the current sports related pattern of pushing politics on the fans that started with the knee from the QB out of reno. I have noticed that several of the professional leagues have dragged their political agenda into the game this year, which does appear to have hurt their viewership ratings, but I may or may not be right about that.

Is UNLV going to allow political slogans to be placed on the field or on the uniforms? How do others feel about allowing this if it happens? Would this hurt their attendance?

While this is outside of sports, it is tied to the current sports related pattern of pushing politics on the fans that started with the knee from the QB out of reno. I have noticed that several of the professional leagues have dragged their political agenda into the game this year, which does appear to have hurt their viewership ratings, but I may or may not be right about that.

Is UNLV going to allow political slogans to be placed on the field or on the uniforms? How do others feel about allowing this if it happens? Would this hurt their attendance?
They’re absolutely free to do what they want. And people are absolutely free to react in the (legal) manner they choose.

I’m not a fan of it myself, I prefer my sports to be about competition, not politics. If it’s not shoved down my throat, I can live with it. If it’s too much, I can easily walk away. Everyone has a different tolerance level for it and nobody is wrong for having whatever tolerance level they have.

In the end, these maneuvers will lose some fans overall. Political statements made in the sports arena isn’t going to pull non-fans off the streets and put them in the seats, but it will push some sports fans that don’t want politics in their sports out the door. We’ve already seen evidence of it. Doesn’t mean they wouldn’t come back in time, they may, whether it’s winning big enough or lessening the political stances ... but it will chase some initially, imo.

The biggest political stance is the absence of football over a if and maybe complication of the virus to the heart. The real complication of the virus is pneumonia and blood clots in the lungs and other areas of the body. The real clot is in the overspending bankrupting malfeasance of closing down the economy and then paying people to stay home. This will lead to more chaos, riots, children pretending to be revolutionaries and real Revolutionaries blowing up cities like Damascus. I have had enough of the phony medical propaganda flowing from Fauci's mouth as he fronts for the vaccine and Bill Gates Foundation. Real science is what is happening in India as they get through this pandemic with HQC and sunshine. Play ball.

The biggest political stance is the absence of football over a if and maybe complication of the virus to the heart. The real complication of the virus is pneumonia and blood clots in the lungs and other areas of the body. The real clot is in the overspending bankrupting malfeasance of closing down the economy and then paying people to stay home. This will lead to more chaos, riots, children pretending to be revolutionaries and real Revolutionaries blowing up cities like Damascus. I have had enough of the phony medical propaganda flowing from Fauci's mouth as he fronts for the vaccine and Bill Gates Foundation. Real science is what is happening in India as they get through this pandemic with HQC and sunshine. Play ball.
Speaking of sunshine/Vitamin D.

Long ago when I validated the Vitamin D assay we have, one of the dozens of things you have to demonstrate/prove/establish is the normal range of an analyze. Sometimes you can take the manufacturers recommended normal range and use it if your medical director signs off on it. I like to demonstrate ours, when feasible - sometimes it’s too problematic to establish it.

For Vitamin D, we took 100 “healthy” employees from 18-40. Run them all, do the data thing and voila, you’ve established what normal patients should be. Anything higher is an abnormal high, anything lower is an abnormal low. Easy peasy. But when I compared what we got vs what was recommended, our range was about half as much. Why? Most of those healthy people were vitamin D deficient to varying degrees. The same thing happened with glucose. Too many prediabetics running around. So we went with the nationally accepted 65-99 as a normal glucose instead of the 130-220 that I computed ......

And yes, Vitamin D is crucial not only with covid, but all immunity and general health.

As an individual, in this country, you’re free to do anything that is legal. You alone can determine your course of action. But as soon as you’re part of an organization you are no longer free to do anything you want. You must live within the rules of the organization. Take your work as an example. If the organization requires you to show up at 8 AM then you must show up at 8 AM. You’re not free to come to work anytime you want. You’re not free to be insubordinate. You must take the action that your supervisor requires as long as it is reasonable.
Sports organizations have a perfect right to require their players to refrain from political comments. Some people mistakenly believe that the first amendment gives players the right to political speech. The first amendment, however, only protects political speech from punishment by the government. Not private organizations. A salesman cannot call one of his customers an a-hole.

Sporting organizations are only allowing political speech from players because they fear the players and their supporters more than they fear fans. If fans refused to go to games that had players who were vocal with their politics The owners or administrators would almost immediately prevent political speech. And they would be within their right to do so.

100% agree. We live in a county that allows us to do things that we want to. Not everyone has to agree with the message. There are countries where you cant express your opinion or beliefs.
1. you are a representative of the university.....do politics in the off season
2. in NFL, NBA...what part of you are an employee do you not understand. again...you represent the organization

1. you are a representative of the university.....do politics in the off season
2. in NFL, NBA...what part of you are an employee do you not understand. again...you represent the organization
If the commissioners wants politics in their leagues there is no way of stopping it. Especially if it’s a players controlled league.

Personally, if UNLV allows anything political on the uniforms during the games, I will no longer attend!
Part of me says young men are pliable and don’t make very good decisions- so give them a break. Another part of me says enough is enough. Combine these thoughts with the fact that life is short and I really like basketball. What I do may depend on the slogan that is on the uniform.There’s a huge difference between “live free or die” and “cops are killers”.

Unfortunately, we’ll most likely have to make a decision on buying season tickets before we know if political sayings will be on uniforms.

Reactions: j. spilotro
Imagine what would have been posted on the internet if it was around when Jackie Robinson integrated baseball. People, most people, would have aghast at the notion. But people adapted, and baseball survived and thrived. I expect sports wii survive the politicalizationn (?) of the playing field. Who knows, it may even encourage civil conversation between people with conflicting views.

It doesn't encourage civil conversation when the politics is all one sided and you are attacked if you don't take their side.

Reactions: 220reb
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT