ADVERTISEMENT

a little Rebel football history

Every once in awhile it's nice to see this for something to put a smile on my face! Thanks for posting.
Fun time. Not super vested, but rooting, disappointed at the end chalked it up as an L. We end up stealing it in dramatic fashion. That was the second year of Rebel Net.

I was excited, headed to the practice field to await the Rebel return and grab some quotes. Remember, this was early internet. They arrived around 3 am. A bunch of fans (50 or so, probably a lot of family) were excited. Celebrated as the git off the shuttle. Steroid Hey Reb was there, mute as always. Didn’t say a word to me but kept motioning. Whatever.

After things cleared, Hey Reb pops off his head, comes and talks with me, an Organic Chem classmate from three or four years prior, he was already on Rebel Net as UNRBites. We get to BS’ing, he’s in a bit of a rough patch, getting a divorce, no place to go … I had ample room, stay at my place until you get on your feet. He ended up at my place for 3-4 years. Good dude. Some of you remember Bill Carney.

He and I lost contact after he moved out with his new GF, who he eventually married. He was die hard but gave up all things UNLV around ‘03, ‘04 to focus on securing a real job and his wife. His wife reached out to me about two years ago, sadly he passed suddenly and unexpectedly. Got sick, respiratory … but pretty typical cold. Got bad in his sleep, had trouble breathing, off to ER. It worsened, put on support, died the next morning, a complete shocker to his wife, because it was a cold or a flu. And he was a healthy dude. Passed at 48 or 49, I think. Really sad.

But I still remember that game vividly, even though it was a Dasco/Cooper radio call for us in Vegas. Fun times. Things seemed simpler back then.

My brother played in that game, my parents were at the game. All have great stories from being on the field and being in their seats as the play unfolded and ended the game.
Steele was a moron coach. He deserved what he got. Always take the win. UNLV had zero chance, no timeouts. One snap and kneel ends it.

I remember Bill and his time at your place. Good dude. Yes, simpler times. Early in the JRob era, so there was hope, kinda like with CMA. But no pandemic.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT